Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Stuck with the Honda Accord.   I didn’t want to increase lease payment too much.....last one I drove 16,000 miles in 3 years which includes 700 in one day last year.

lol wish I had your commute. I do 16k miles in 8 months. It’s why I can never lease. We got the wife into one but we not fans. 

58 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Stuck with the Honda Accord.   I didn’t want to increase lease payment too much.....last one I drove 16,000 miles in 3 years which includes 700 in one day last year.

Congrats on the car.

You might be one of those very few people that drives more after retirement than before!

Looking forward to the cool weekend.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

That's what I have. 2009 Accord. Happy to pay it off in 4 years and no payments for last 3 years. It's my commuting car since round trip is just over 80 miles.

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

lol wish I had your commute. I do 16k miles in 8 months. It’s why I can never lease. We got the wife into one but we not fans. 

I put on 25K a year myself.  We did just buy an '07 Accord from my mother-in-law that has 70k miles, for our daughter to use when she gets her license next year, so I may use that on occasion to lower that 25k some.  I'm currently driving a 2017 Mazda6 that I love. We have a long-running relationship with the local dealership in Raynham so we're pretty loyal to them and they treat us well.

All I know about cars is that I am not enamored with Toyota, anymore...I leased a Corolla, and then when the lease was up, I bought a Corolla. The older Corolla had better gas mileage than the new Corolla. And with the whole acceleration cover-up (floor mat, my ass) I've been looking into other compact vehicles that get good gas mileage. I bought a Tacoma in 2008 or 2009 and it was when they had just transitioned to a body the size of a Tundra, with a Tacoma size engine...and used Tacomas were basically extinct...I had searched dealerships from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City for a used, smaller Tacoma...

Since you guys are talking about cars....   I bought the Prius Prime plug in 18 months ago. So cheap to run.   You can use the hybrid engine or just plug in to get the first 25-40 miles pure electric.  I have been getting near 40 miles on electric.  Takes about 6 KW to charge.  At .147 a KW thats 88 cents for the first 25-40 miles.  I usually drive less than that a day.  Once the electric is depleted the hybrid engine gets around 65 mpg.  Running electric is so quiet and instant torque.  The only problem is that it has a low base and is front wheel drive.  Up here on my NH hill it stinks so have the truck on snow days.

2 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

All I know about cars is that I am not enamored with Toyota, anymore...I leased a Corolla, and then when the lease was up, I bought a Corolla. The older Corolla had better gas mileage than the new Corolla. And with the whole acceleration cover-up (floor mat, my ass) I've been looking into other compact vehicles that get good gas mileage. I bought a Tacoma in 2008 or 2009 and it was when they had just transitioned to a body the size of a Tundra, with a Tacoma size engine...and used Tacomas were basically extinct...I had searched dealerships from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City for a used, smaller Tacoma...

I feel your pain about the upsizing (and up-pricing.)  When my 2011 Ranger (with nearly 110k at present) goes away, one hopes years from now, there will be nothing like it available.  Used mostly for my 31-mile (one way) commute but also for shorter trips, it gets 23-24 mpg in winter and 28-29 in summer, 26 or so overall.  I like having the pickup, for moving stuff like firewood, our replacement Jotul woodstove, and the occasional deer dumb enough to get shot, but don't see anything affordable with that kind of gas mileage in my future.  Our 2011 Forester is pushing 120k and is great in messy road conditions, also gets top marks from CR for old folks like us, due to easy entry and good reliability.  (Last new vehicle we bought was a 1983 Cavalier 5-speed, 30-33 mpg, good ride, best traction of any 2WD critter I've ever driven, but unfortunately the unibody "frame" rusted out just shy of 150k and ended its career.)

We have a fleet of Mazda's in my garage.  I gave my 2009 Mazda 3 with 145k on it to our son.  He had to put in a new clutch, so that stinks.

Wife has a 2013 CX5 little buggy. Slow, but surefooted and good milage and space.  I got a 2018 CX5 with more power and tons of tech...average 28mpg for the first 9000 miles or so.  Hate having payments though

42 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We have a fleet of Mazda's in my garage.  I gave my 2009 Mazda 3 with 145k on it to our son.  He had to put in a new clutch, so that stinks.

Wife has a 2013 CX5 little buggy. Slow, but surefooted and good milage and space.  I got a 2018 CX5 with more power and tons of tech...average 28mpg for the first 9000 miles or so.  Hate having payments though

Yeah, the 2018 has the turbo 4 in it.  

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I feel your pain about the upsizing (and up-pricing.)  When my 2011 Ranger (with nearly 110k at present) goes away, one hopes years from now, there will be nothing like it available.  Used mostly for my 31-mile (one way) commute but also for shorter trips, it gets 23-24 mpg in winter and 28-29 in summer, 26 or so overall.  I like having the pickup, for moving stuff like firewood, our replacement Jotul woodstove, and the occasional deer dumb enough to get shot, but don't see anything affordable with that kind of gas mileage in my future.  Our 2011 Forester is pushing 120k and is great in messy road conditions, also gets top marks from CR for old folks like us, due to easy entry and good reliability.  (Last new vehicle we bought was a 1983 Cavalier 5-speed, 30-33 mpg, good ride, best traction of any 2WD critter I've ever driven, but unfortunately the unibody "frame" rusted out just shy of 150k and ended its career.)

My 15 Colorado gets 22 to 26 mpg

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

When my 2011 Ranger (with nearly 110k at present) goes away, one hopes years from now, there will be nothing like it available.  Used mostly for my 31-mile (one way) commute but also for shorter trips, it gets 23-24 mpg in winter and 28-29 in summer, 26 or so overall. 

I have an 2002 ranger and never got mileage as good as you are getting, never any more than 20-22 on the highway.  2WD, V6, 3.0L, 5 speed auto. 

6 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

I just got a 2018 Tacoma Sport and love it. I've been averaging 22-23 MPG, which is really good for a truck with V6 power. The dealer had a 2017 Tacoma Off Road with 3,700 miles or a brand new Sport for the same price and I took the Sport. It has 4WD so that's what matters for the winter. 

My previous vehicle was a 2007 Tahoe which only got ~15 MPG. While it was nice to not have any payments, it needed over $2K worth of work and was leaking some tranny fluid, so I dumped it while it still had some trade in value. The 2006 and earlier Tahoes/Suburbans are much more reliable and I see many more of those on the roads around here than the 2007 and later models. I would've kept it longer if it didn't need a ton of repairs.

I’ve had my 2014 Ford Fusion titanium for a year and a half now. Just hit 60k miles. Car is fully loaded with just about every feature you can imagine, including cooled seats, which I didn’t even know existed at first. Lol.

Unfortunately, due to work obligations, I may be getting a 4 wheel drive SUV. Plowing, and snow related activities are part of my current job and I need to be able to get to work, regardless of conditions.

26 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’ve had my 2014 Ford Fusion titanium for a year and a half now. Just hit 60k miles. Car is fully loaded with just about every feature you can imagine, including cooled seats, which I didn’t even know existed at first. Lol.

Unfortunately, due to work obligations, I may be getting a 4 wheel drive SUV. Plowing, and snow related activities are part of my current job and I need to be able to get to work, regardless of conditions.

Get studded tires.  Not only will you be able to get through just about any conditions but having winter and summer tires essentially doubles the time between needing them.  Instead of having to buy tires every 2-3 years I can go 4-5 years between buying tires.

45 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

60k miles in a year and a half?   That’s sick

Or did it have a bunch when you purchased it?

2 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Get studded tires.  Not only will you be able to get through just about any conditions but having winter and summer tires essentially doubles the time between needing them.  Instead of having to buy tires every 2-3 years I can go 4-5 years between buying tires.

I'm selling two sets of studded tires. One--or I suppose two-- of many out there on Craig's list.