Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2018 OBS Thread

Rtd208

11 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Total precip for me is 0.36" and a rather chilly 54 degrees up here. Gonna get shafted some with Gordon's rain, and then, as it looks right now, Florence doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of impacting PA at all with that crazy stall. The Euro track would be perfect if she'd just keep moving...

What's funny is I was just on a non-weather forum and someone had posted the WPC maps from yesterday and I had issues with what looked like a "stall".  I haven't gotten deeply into the models for Florence yet (I burned myself out last year tracking Harvey, Irma, & Maria) but will probably need to start looking more closely at the models for this and possibly Isaac. Helene looks to still be going OTS.

4 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

What's funny that I was just on a non-weather forum and someone had posted the WPC maps from yesterday and I had issues with what looked like a "stall".  I haven't gotten deeply into the models for Florence yet (I burned myself out last year tracking Harvey, Irma, & Maria) but will probably need to start looking more closely at the models for this and possibly Isaac. Helene looks to still be going OTS.

The GFS (which doesn't seem meteorologically possible) destroys the OBX as she sits just offshore with days and days of hurricane force winds and rain. The Euro on the other hand brings her in at Wilmington, NC and then a slow crawl past Raleigh to the VA/NC border and kind of stalls her there where she rains herself out over that region.

11 minutes ago, Voyager said:

The GFS (which doesn't seem meteorologically possible) destroys the OBX as she sits just offshore with days and days of hurricane force winds and rain. The Euro on the other hand brings her in at Wilmington, NC and then a slow crawl past Raleigh to the VA/NC border and kind of stalls her there where she rains herself out over that region.

Sounds like WPC must have gone with the Euro (at least the maps I saw posted yesterday on my non-weather site) although if either scenario verified, that would be devastating for that area.  Seems to be putting a lot of weight on a high up in Canada that keeps Florence suppressed to the south.

I did hear that SC, NC, and VA declared states of emergency and an EAS was sent out to that area. Someone on the forum I was on mentioned that they were in the supermarket and suddenly heard dozens of cell phones going off at once with an EAS alert.

44 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Would it be worth to start a Florence thread in here? Would rather read what local people think than scroll through a lot of mumbo jumbo in the tropical thread. 

Not that it is mumbo jumbo, but a lot of posters there repeat each other. 

Go ahead and start one.  I guess maybe try to direct it so that we focus on potential local impacts so the mods don't tell us to move the discussion to the Tropical Weather forum.  It might be somewhat slow to get going initially until a track is better modeled but I expect by mid-week, it will be abuzz if Florence is still on track to impact the east coast.

As an obs - since my last report, I got an additional 0.21" of rain for a total of 0.58" for the day, and a 3-day event total of 3.44".   Current temp is 57 with light rain.  It's been breezy the past 2 days so it feels a bit raw out.

49 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Go ahead and start one.  I guess maybe try to direct it so that we focus on potential local impacts so the mods don't tell us to move the discussion to the Tropical Weather forum.  It might be somewhat slow to get going initially until a track is better modeled but I expect by mid-week, it will be abuzz if Florence is still on track to impact the east coast.

As an obs - since my last report, I got an additional 0.21" of rain for a total of 0.58" for the day, and a 3-day event total of 3.44".   Current temp is 57 with light rain.  It's been breezy the past 2 days so it feels a bit raw out.

Yeah I got one eyeball on it now, but I think come Tuesday/Wednesday people few people round here will be in full storm prep mode once we know how much it could stall or drift north this way.  

3 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Yeah I got one eyeball on it now, but I think come Tuesday/Wednesday people few people round here will be in full storm prep mode once we know how much it could stall or drift north this way.  

I know Iceman was looking at starting one too so there is definitely interest as we get closer -

1 hour ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

Up to 1.37" of rain so far today (and still raining) here in East Nantmeal Chester County PA which brings the month up to 3.02" with an incredible 31.73" falling since June 1st. We are now a whopping 20.81" above normal rainfall through today with 56.19" year to date 

Hope there's some left for the upcoming winter! I wonder what if any historical correlation there may be between a wet April - September and the following winter, precipitation-wise.

1 minute ago, KamuSnow said:

Anybody else wondering when the ideal reseeding days of September are coming? Too hot so far, now a week of rain...lol because you can't do much about it. We'll hit it hard next week maybe.

Since we tend to have "long" falls, you would probably be good to seed anytime through the rest of the month and into October.  Frosts tend to start happening as we get near and past Halloween though.

4 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Anybody else wondering when the ideal reseeding days of September are coming? Too hot so far, now a week of rain...lol because you can't do much about it. We'll hit it hard next week maybe.

For lawn or garden? I just planted some lettuce, radishes, and arugula seeds this weekend during a break in the rain as it was ideal conditions for them. Since it looks like our 90 degree days are done for the year, they should be ok here for a fall harvest. Cooler weather plants are becoming more and more difficult to grow around here though since it seems we jump the transition seasons and don't have enough 40-70 degree days to really good growth. I'm going to try spinach one last time after failing to get decent harvests the last 4 growing seasons but waiting to october since they can't really take temps over 70 or any frost. For lawn, I would wait another week or two before re seeding despite the rain to get the best results.

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

For lawn or garden? I just planted some lettuce, radishes, and arugula seeds this weekend during a break in the rain as it was ideal conditions for them. Since it looks like our 90 degree days are done for the year, they should be ok here for a fall harvest. Cooler weather plants are becoming more and more difficult to grow around here though since it seems we jump the transition seasons and don't have enough 40-70 degree days to really good growth. I'm going to try spinach one last time after failing to get decent harvests the last 4 growing seasons but waiting to october since they can't really take temps over 70 or any frost. For lawn, I would wait another week or two before re seeding despite the rain to get the best results.

Lawn in this case. 2 and 3 years ago we had 90F heat until mid-September, and the grass germination season got compressed. Last year was much better, being able to get started earlier goes a long way toward root establishment before winter. No doubt the warm fall last year helped too. Here I can usually get decent results if I'm done seeding by Oct. 8th or so. Later than that germination can take too long, the cool snaps slow things down, and even the low sun angle by the end of October starts to be a factor. I'm talking about seeding on dirt, not overseeding - we've got a lot of dirt areas due to summertime projects. I'm chomping at the bit, lol.