• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2018 OBS Thread

Rtd208

EPS depict the concerns I had going into the LR....neg NAO retrogrades and develops into a mid lat ridge centered near the Miss river then progresses  into a quasi SE Ridge with trof developing out West. Of course this isn't the be all end all for winter....probably just means we wait a little later into the month for a pattern reload which isn't necessarily a terrible thing. There is plenty of cold air building across the top which if the strat PV consolidation and progs hold any weight spell a bitter cold outbreak on our side of the N hemisphere somewhere around the 3rd week of Dec. 

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_11.png

Glancing at the overnight op models and LR ens basically status quo for this time of year as we go forward thru about the 2nd week of Dec. I realize and dont ever really expect much wintry weather before Christmas usually but what really concerns me is that when the NAO goes negative on the ops and ens we are still ending up with cutters and storms heading to our N and W. Maybe this is something that will change as we move further along in time and we can get redevelopment farther S and E...not sure. Just noting that these looks arent exactly working out yet timing-wise ie when the PAC looks good the ATL looks bad and vice versa. I'm not sure one or the other will do it for us durung this Nino year. We *probably* are going to need both sides working in tandem. With that said tho it is funny how we have had more frozen past 2 years during mediocre patterns and have basically had nothing to show besides cold temps during 'epic' teleconnection indices. I guess those epic looks are more for producing KU storms which goes to show just how difficult they are to produce.

• Like 1

For balance, the GFS family is faster to knock down the SE ridge thus more seasonal during the same time period so *maybe* this is a case of the Euro holding energy back in the SW and Plains and pumping that Eastern ridge in response (in error/bias?). Unsure if this was ever fixed with the Euro upgrades or not so just thinking out loud. 

As others have said....volatile pattern. Could be quite the roller coaster ride as we move thru December. 

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

Wow the temperature here has gone up 10 degrees in the last 2 hours, from 30 to 40F. Feels almost balmy out. The overnight low was 23F.

Up to 44F here as of 12:10pm. Still have snow piles/mounds in parking lots..

Accu-weather super-mega-ultra-most reliable long range throws up a bone for Christmas Eve:

ce.jpg

3 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Up to 44F here as of 12:10pm. Still have snow piles/mounds in parking lots..

Accu-weather super-mega-ultra-most reliable long range throws up a bone for Christmas Eve:

ce.jpg

Still have some snow piles here too, although they might be gone in 2 or 3 days with the warmth and heavy rain in the forecast. I'll take snow and ice on Christmas Eve, thanks.

I'm just gonna stop talking and let the models sort themselves out lol. Pattern recognition > models and right now the models are struggling mightily. If the latest GFS is right, we head into a fairly classic -EPO pattern heading into December. 

gfs_z500a_namer_53.png

I'd like to reiterate what I did way back before the winter started - A favorable Pacific is almost always more welcomed than a favorable Atlantic.

Select rainfall totals through 9 pm:

Allentown: 0.80"; YTD: 58.76" (4th wettest year)
Atlantic City: 0.80"; YTD: 59.07" (3rd wettest year)
Baltimore: 1.68"; YTD: 64.86" (1st wettest year)
Harrisburg: 1.35"; 60.93" (2nd wettest year)
Philadelphia: 1.13"; YTD: 53.36" (6th wettest year)
Reading: 1.32"; YTD: 62.71" (1st wettest year)
Wilmington, DE: 1.84"; YTD: 53.04" (10th wettest year)