Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2018 OBS Thread

Rtd208

On 10/15/2018 at 10:49 PM, RedSky said:

Current forecast is MOSTLY SUNNY Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 

I will come back to this and score what happened. Seriously annoyed since the majority of forecast mostly sunny days were mostly cloudy the last two months. 

50/50 Middle two days mostly sunny. 

Terrific gust front just moved through as the wife and I were driving home just now. We saw a sudden orange glow over the highway and then all the streetlights went out. Must have blown a transformer somewhere close. Thankfully the lights were only out momentarily, because my genny isn't working atm. (need to clean out the carb, left untreated gas in it for a couple of months like a doofus). Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow.

Temps have continued to slowly fall here in NW Chesco currently at 42.3 - temps will stay in the 40's here today after a midnight high of 46.5 .... While down the shore in Sea Isle City after a midnight high of 56.3 and an AM low of 47.7 - temps have bounced back to 49.2. High wind gust overnight down the shore was 26mph

To put how unseasonable this chill has been - today's maximum temperature in Chester County of 46.9 is the 2nd lowest max temp for this date since records began way way back in 1894 only this date back in 1974 with 46.0 was a colder day....very impressive early season chill! We were as much as 9 degrees above normal for the month just 1 week ago we are not down to only 4.6 above normal....we could potentially erase the entire positive averages by month end. Now the NWS has put this area under a freeze warning....while I am confident lower spots under 600 ft may indeed see sub 0c readings...those of us with a little elevation will likely hang just above the freezing mark tonight as is usually the case in these situations. 

With yesterday's 9th of the last 11 days of below normal temps we have plunged from an average temp of 68.1 or +11.2 above normal on October 12th to now an average temp of 59.4 which is only +4.0 degrees above normal. Today looks to be our last chance of near to above normal temps this month. It is looking increasingly likely that we may totally reverse the positive anomaly from the 1st 2 weeks of the month before month's end.

1 hour ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

With yesterday's 9th of the last 11 days of below normal temps we have plunged from an average temp of 68.1 or +11.2 above normal on October 12th to now an average temp of 59.4 which is only +4.0 degrees above normal. Today looks to be our last chance of near to above normal temps this month. It is looking increasingly likely that we may totally reverse the positive anomaly from the 1st 2 weeks of the month before month's end.

It's fascinating to me how far that pendulum shifted. What I'm not too fond of is that when we look back at October 2018 and "only" see a slightly above normal temp for the month, the fact that it was still in the 70's and 80's for half the month will be obscured. It's just too bad that anomalous weather is becoming less so in this climate.

23 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

It's fascinating to me how far that pendulum shifted. What I'm not too fond of is that when we look back at October 2018 and "only" see a slightly above normal temp for the month, the fact that it was still in the 70's and 80's for half the month will be obscured. It's just too bad that anomalous weather is becoming less so in this climate.

Yes - It's really just the fact weather has always and will continue to move toward the norm/averages. However, we still only valid true climate norms/averages that go back no more than 150 years....just a small slice of the earth's constantly changing and evolving climate and it's phases and stages.

AM Low 39.5 - looks like the growing season will continue here in the Frozen Tundra of NW Chesco into November - Wxsim has lowest temp over rest of month at 36. However, if Wxsim forecast temps were to verify over the remainder of the month we would finish at only 1.7 degrees above normal for the month and would be our chilliest October since 2015. Wxsim also shows 2.75" of rain by Sunday with the storm this weekend/

AM low was 34.3 our lowest temperature so far this fall season... with frost only evident down in the valleys below 600 ft asl. We have only seen very light spotty frost so far this season. Growing season looks likely to continue into November here in the soaring hills of NW Chester County PA. Today will be our 10th of last 13 days with below normal temps. After today we should be down to under 3 degrees above normal an incredible turn around from the 1st 2 weeks of the month.