• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2018 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Ended up with 1.1" total for yesterday (with 0.4" between 8pm and midnight) and then another 0.3" between midnight and 3 am, with some gusty winds.  Total for 2-days was 1.4" (at post time).  What will probably be my high for the day was 70 at midnight and currently 60 and overcast, with a 50 dewpoint (been awhile since that happened).

5 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Ended up with 1.1" total for yesterday (with 0.4" between 8pm and midnight) and then another 0.3" between midnight and 3 am, with some gusty winds.  Total for 2-days was 1.4" (at post time).  What will probably be my high for the day was 70 at midnight and currently 60 and overcast, with a 50 dewpoint (been awhile since that happened).

Feels great.....I can actually breathe again.

1 minute ago, Birds~69 said:

The Birds win and the refreshing weather I have a "extra step" in me today....even with limited sleep.

58F / DP 53F

Winds have gone from breezy to gusty....

I couldn't stay up all night although I ended up waking up around 1:30 and saw some steady (but not gushing) rain.  My temp has dropped down to 59 (dp now 49) and it may end up continuing to drop before sunrise, which is still an hour away.  Michael is booking it at like 46 mph and has an almost 60mph circulation, which is pretty amazing.

FZNT01 KWBC 120932
HSFAT1

HIGH SEAS FORECAST FOR METAREA IV 
NWS OCEAN PREDICTION CENTER WASHINGTON DC 
1030 UTC FRI OCT 12 2018 

CCODE/2:31:04:11:00/AOW+AOE/NWS/CCODE
SUPERSEDED BY NEXT ISSUANCE IN 6 HOURS 

SEAS GIVEN AS SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT...WHICH IS THE AVERAGE 
HEIGHT OF THE HIGHEST 1/3 OF THE WAVES. INDIVIDUAL WAVES MAY 
BE MORE THAN TWICE THE SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHT. 

SEE ANNOUNCEMENT OF PLANNED INMARSAT I-3 TO I-4 MIGRATION 
IN 2018 AT OCEAN.WEATHER.GOV/GMDSS_NOTICE.PHP (LOWERCASE). 

ONLY YOU KNOW THE WEATHER AT YOUR POSITION. REPORT IT TO THE 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE. EMAIL US AT 
[email protected](LOWERCASE). 

FOR INFORMATION ON ATLANTIC ICEBERGS SEE INFORMATION FROM NORTH 
AMERICAN ICE SERVICE AT HTTPS://OCEAN.WEATHER.GOV/ATL_TAB.SHTML 

PAN PAN 

NORTH ATLANTIC NORTH OF 31N TO 67N AND WEST OF 35W 

SYNOPSIS VALID 0600 UTC OCT 12. 
24 HOUR FORECAST VALID 0600 UTC OCT 13. 
48 HOUR FORECAST VALID 0600 UTC OCT 14. 

.WARNINGS. 

[...]

...STORM WARNING... 
.POST-TROPICAL CYCLONE MICHAEL 37N75W 983 MB MOVING NE 40 KT. 
WITHIN 240 NM SE AND 180 NM S QUADRANTS WINDS 40 TO 50 KT. SEAS 
12 TO 23 FT. ELSEWHERE WITHIN 420 NM NE...AND 360 NM SE AND S 
QUADRANTS WINDS 25 TO 40 KT. SEAS 8 TO 12 FT.   
.24 HOUR FORECAST POST-TROPICAL CYCLONE MICHAEL 45N55W 976 MB. 
WITHIN 300 NM SE AND 180 NM SW QUADRANTS WINDS 45 TO 60 KT. SEAS 
15 TO 27 FT. ELSEWHERE WITHIN 300 NM NE...660 NM SW...AND 120 NM 
W QUADRANTS WINDS 30 TO 45 KT. SEAS 10 TO 20 FT.
.48 HOUR FORECAST POST-TROPICAL CYCLONE MICHAEL E OF AREA 47N26W 
982 MB. OVER FORECAST WATERS FROM 37N TO 44N E OF 38W WINDS 20 
TO 30 KT. SEAS 12 TO 24 FT.

Really feels awesome outside this morning with the low dews and wind gusts. I always love the first real strong cold front of fall... especially after the unbearable heat and humidity. Finished with 1.31" last night but it really seemed like more. It seemed like from 10 - 2 was relentless heavy rain...I thought for sure we had gotten over 2" at least.

31 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Really feels awesome outside this morning with the low dews and wind gusts. I always love the first real strong cold front of fall... especially after the unbearable heat and humidity. Finished with 1.31" last night but it really seemed like more. It seemed like from 10 - 2 was relentless heavy rain...I thought for sure we had gotten over 2" at least.

We used to get those strong cold fronts in the middle of summer after a heavy thunderstorm and extended highs in the 90s, resulting in a day or two of highs in the 70s and blue sky.  Not so much anymore.  The fronts seem to "modify" more by the time they get here nowadays, with not much "cold" left behind them - more what is now being dubbed "cool front".

I ended up bottoming out this morning at 59 and my dews are still dropping and down to 44.  Current temp is 61 and it is mostly sunny.

13 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

We used to get those strong cold fronts in the middle of summer after a heavy thunderstorm and extended highs in the 90s, resulting in a day or two of highs in the 70s and blue sky.  Not so much anymore.  The fronts seem to "modify" more by the time they get here nowadays, with not much "cold" left behind them - more what is now being dubbed "cool front".

I ended up bottoming out this morning at 59 and my dews are still dropping and down to 44.  Current temp is 61 and it is mostly sunny.

That was certainly the case this summer. Front after front either washed out or would stall as it reached us so there was really no real cool summer days this year. This definitely ties into the lack of severe thunderstorms as well. The best thunderstorm of summer was last week...

3 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

That was certainly the case this summer. Front after front either washed out or would stall as it reached us so there was really no real cool summer days this year. This definitely ties into the lack of severe thunderstorms as well. The best thunderstorm of summer was last week...

Plus I can't really remember the last time I have had hail here.  As a kid in the '60s and early '70s, we used to have hail a couple times in summer during thunderstorms. Used to run outside and grab the little ice balls and put a bag of them in the freezer.  Not anymore (at least in my "cooler" part of the city)!  I can almost tell when there should have been hail when a storm came through but I got huge raindrops and water splats instead.  Am thinking it might have been small hail but it all melted just before it hit the ground.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JTA66 said:

And you can get out of the shower and not have your clothes stick to you!

58F/53DP. Will probably shut the windows tonight because of the cold :D

Spot on! Most of Summer/Fall (?)....I came out of the semi- cold shower and "changing" and started to sweat again. WTF?

59F / DP 46F......damn, it feels great! Nice wind.

12 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Currently running +11.1F for the month. I don't see us getting below normal, but I am curious to see how much gets knocked off that number by Halloween.

Had a high of 69F at midnight, dropped down to 57F and have since rebounded to 60F.

True....but we been so damn hot! It's the Hum  / Dp thing which has been screwiing with us....the temp thing is seriously overrated. I'll take 90F with low DP/Hum any day over 80F high DP/Hum....not even close. Temp stat geeks have everything wrong...it's a joke.

2 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Crazy, the returns over your area looked very similar to mine I had thought. Was most of that last night?

The rain "deathband" essentially the same thing that's been happening in Monmouth with winter storms the last ten years dropping colossal snow.

We are now down to 49.5 here in Chester County PA....this is our 1st sub 50 (40's club) degree reading of the fall season. Of note this is the latest first 40's temp here in Chester County since NWS Coop records began back in 1894! All other 1st 40's temps were recorded in August or September