• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2018 OBS Thread

Rtd208

.03" of rain last evening - It's been almost a month since our last 80+ day here in NW Chester County - looks like one last small shot here on Monday. That said above normal temps continue next week but big change to below normal starts toward next weekend. Weather does have a way of balancing out....

14 minutes ago, ChescoPaWxman said:

.03" of rain last evening - It's been almost a month since our last 80+ day here in NW Chester County - looks like one last small shot here on Monday. That said above normal temps continue next week but big change to below normal starts toward next weekend. Weather does have a way of balancing out....

It's like three or four days of average temperatures with a building ridge and a return to warmth behind it. Could make a run for a record October which was set LAST year. Balancing out how?

1 minute ago, Birds~69 said:

I may be wrong but don't we want a warm Oct for a better winter? In other words, we don't want snow in Oct. I thought I read something on this board about that???

It's hit or miss with that in the analogs, but does it really matter with old analogs anymore?

45 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I may be wrong but don't we want a warm Oct for a better winter? In other words, we don't want snow in Oct. I thought I read something on this board about that???

Yeah, I don't think anyone has demonstrated an actual correlation between Oct snows and crappy winters, but it sure seems to work out that way. In fact, I don't think we want accumulating snow before Thanksgiving. The only time I recall that ever working in our favor was Nov '95.

My other rule of thumb is I like a wet fall. I was nervous last year because of how dry in got, but we did end up doing okay (even though winter took a break during the heart of the season). 

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

It's like three or four days of average temperatures with a building ridge and a return to warmth behind it. Could make a run for a record October which was set LAST year. Balancing out how?

Hi Red Sky,

Data I am looking at like the attached indicate much cooler than normal which while not cancelling out the 1st 2 week warmth will bring us to a more reasonable October average temp vs. normals

Dov5GhRXoAEFCsi.jpg

CPC put out their latest ENSO status here (PDF file) - http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

They are predicting an incoming El Niño, with a higher probability for it making a winter appearance.  Based on their data at that link, the current conditions seem to mirror 2006 & 2012.  It will all depend on whether we have a strong El Niño or weak one (or even a delayed one altogether where we stay closer to neutral).

As an obs, had a low of 60 this morning and currently 67 and overcast.  Am thinking my "high" may end up being what it was at midnight, which was 73!

19 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

CPC put out their latest ENSO status here (PDF file) - http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

They are predicting an incoming El Niño, with a higher probability for it making a winter appearance.  Based on their data at that link, the current conditions seem to mirror 2006 & 2012.  It will all depend on whether we have a strong El Niño or weak one (or even a delayed one altogether where we stay closer to neutral).

As an obs, had a low of 60 this morning and currently 67 and overcast.  Am thinking my "high" may end up being what it was at midnight, which was 73!

2012 looks like La Nina on that chart?

4 minutes ago, RedSky said:

2012 looks like La Nina on that chart?

I was comparing what was on the chart on pg. 22... if you follow it across the rows.

Edit to add - I have been seeing some write-ups thinking that El Niño might be delayed.  Whether we drop into a La Niña instead is another thing altogether!

6 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Yeah, I don't think anyone has demonstrated an actual correlation between Oct snows and crappy winters, but it sure seems to work out that way. In fact, I don't think we want accumulating snow before Thanksgiving. The only time I recall that ever working in our favor was Nov '95.

My other rule of thumb is I like a wet fall. I was nervous last year because of how dry in got, but we did end up doing okay (even though winter took a break during the heart of the season). 

I agree, why use up a good pattern in Oct. and Nov.? It so often leads to minimal snow for Dec. - Feb. that I'd just rather not have early snow. One thing this fall is that the critters are eating like there's no tomorrow, fwiw.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2018 at 7:34 PM, KamuSnow said:

I agree, why use up a good pattern in Oct. and Nov.? It so often leads to minimal snow for Dec. - Feb. that I'd just rather not have early snow. One thing this fall is that the critters are eating like there's no tomorrow, fwiw.

One could see GFS toying with a snow look at 210 hours, WE DON"T WANT THAT!. 0z ECM hinted at it too with an anomalous eastern trough. 

13 minutes ago, RedSky said:

One could see GFS toying with a snow look at 210 hours, WE DON"T WANT THAT!. 0z ECM hinted at it too with an anomalous eastern trough. 

Any type of trough would be more than welcome at this point. FWIW, I recall 2002 and 2009 having traces of snow in the area, so it's not automatically a death sentence.

22 minutes ago, WarrenCtyWx said:

Any type of trough would be more than welcome at this point. FWIW, I recall 2002 and 2009 having traces of snow in the area, so it's not automatically a death sentence.

I think it's a death sentence when it occurs in an otherwise toaster bath pattern .