Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2018 OBS Thread

Rtd208

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

Right or at least Bradford PA 

The crappy weather, being over populated, bad contaminated water from the (has been) WG Air Station and expensive to top it off.....this area sucks.May as well go live in the sticks/boonies....cheaper, more snow and the people are probably moe down to earth.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

The crappy weather, being over populated, bad contaminated water from the (has been) WG Air Station and expensive to top it off.....this area sucks.May as well go live in the sticks/boonies....cheaper, more snow and the people are probably moe down to earth.

I want to be where first frosts hit by October 1st and winter starts in mid November with first snow, but not overkill cold and snow. Probably central New England areas I imagine.

24 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I want to be where first frosts hit by October 1st and winter starts in mid November with first snow, but not overkill cold and snow. Probably central New England areas I imagine.

Exactly, late winters suck...still not giving up hope yet. Let's hope this crappy heat spell dies soon...I'll starting getting pissed if we're still baking in Nov.

19 hours ago, RedSky said:

My Aunt and Uncle live up in SW New Hampshire and this about describes their winters. I'm definitely moving up there at some point in my life. Going up for Christmas pretty much every year is the best since we get a white Christmas with snow on the ground 90% of the time and honestly I've had legit white Christmas snowstorms up there at least 25% of the time. Plus the summers are shorter in duration and way less intense and it isn''t overpopulated but also not the boonies. I love it up there.

September 2018 climate summary for East Nantmeal Chester County PA

Avg Hi - 73.6 (-0.9) / Avg Lo - 62.7 (+7.6) / Avg 68.2 (+3.3)

Rainfall 8.71" (+3.70")

Highest Temp in Sept. (87.2) on September 5th and lowest temp (50.8) on the 30th. This September was the18th warmest (68.2) September and our 6th wettest (8.71") since local NWS coop obs began in 1894

23 hours ago, RedSky said:

You can find spots in CNE that average 60-65" per year, but also areas that average 130-150", so you could find your non overkill snow spot.  Don't think you can avoid the cold though, it doesn't discriminate as much.(Maybe Coastal NH) I've hit at least -20F every year since moving here(S VT) 5 years ago.

Here is a pic from one of our NE posters in SVT last March....this might be considered overkill...lol

DXyFUjXU8AApNk2.jpg:large

4 hours ago, The Iceman said:

My Aunt and Uncle live up in SW New Hampshire and this about describes their winters. I'm definitely moving up there at some point in my life. Going up for Christmas pretty much every year is the best since we get a white Christmas with snow on the ground 90% of the time and honestly I've had legit white Christmas snowstorms up there at least 25% of the time. Plus the summers are shorter in duration and way less intense and it isn''t overpopulated but also not the boonies. I love it up there.

As someone who moved from Chester County to VT, I can concur on those accounts. Love the weather and lifestyle here- summers are awesome(except this one which was even humid and warm here) Jobs are tough here in SVT ( I work remotely) But S NH has more opportunities with Concord and Manchester and somewhat closer commute to Boston.

3 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

You can find spots in CNE that average 60-65" per year, but also areas that average 130-150", so you could find your non overkill snow spot.  Don't think you can avoid the cold though, it doesn't discriminate as much.(Maybe Coastal NH) I've hit at least -20F every year since moving here(S VT) 5 years ago.

Here is a pic from one of our NE posters in SVT last March....this might be considered overkill...lol

DXyFUjXU8AApNk2.jpg:large

As someone who moved from Chester County to VT, I can concur on those accounts. Love the weather and lifestyle here- summers are awesome(except this one which was even humid and warm here) Jobs are tough here in SVT ( I work remotely) But S NH has more opportunities with Concord and Manchester and somewhat closer commute to Boston.

That pic just makes me (and many others in this sub-forum) smile. Closest to that much snow on the ground around these parts was after Feb. 10th 2010.

15 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

The way this year has been, October 1st is the alternative start of fall. Seasons starting and ending a month late....

Now this could be totally off base but maybe seasons are no longer aligning to the solar cycle and are starting/ending later due to the insulation from greenhouse gasses. Warmer air doesn't escape as rapidly even as we receive less sunlight leading to a lag period of temperature decrease. Maybe some met student will see this post and do a thesis on this because I have noticed this delay of season changes particularly since 2010. 

• Like 1

Also interesting how we are seeing these extremes in the pattern of late. Extreme wet for most of the last 2 months but looking into the long range, the ridge in the east looks to be locked in. Would be amazing to see one of the wettest Septembers on record followed by a very dry October, but the GEFS/EPS are not budging that ridge for the foreseeable future. Really looking locked in like the trough was the last two months.

26 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Getting a pretty good storm right now -- heavy rain, gusty winds and occasional thunder & lightning. Thought this stuff was supposed to die off before reaching us??

It was suppose to vaporize before reaching me currently, looks great on radar I don't have long to wait. 

18 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Holy crap, best storm of the year tonight. Wicked lightning and gusted to 53 mph on the my little tykes first anometer that I have lol but the lightning has been 10x better than any storm this summer. Was expecting nada tonight due to the timing too.

Here too and the only one of note since one I had early in summer season. Real fast however ten minute storm. 

14 hours ago, The Iceman said:

Now this could be totally off base but maybe seasons are no longer aligning to the solar cycle and are starting/ending later due to the insulation from greenhouse gasses. Warmer air doesn't escape as rapidly even as we receive less sunlight leading to a lag period of temperature decrease. Maybe some met student will see this post and do a thesis on this because I have noticed this delay of season changes particularly since 2010. 

August is now the second July, September is the new August and October is the new September and this transition has happened scary quick.

Not sure what you want to call November, maybe a cold October