Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2018 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Reposting from the summer thread here -

7 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Ended up with 0.86" of rain yesterday (6.45" for August and 39.81" YTD).  Low (so far) was 68 and currently 69 and overcast. 

An update obs - currently 76 and mostly cloudy.  Seemed the sun wanted to pop out earlier but never made it (at least yet).  It's also a bit damp and muggy.  Not seeing anything firing up on the radar but probably need to keep an eye out on the Caribbean in case something forms and moves into the GOM... because if it does and the ridge is still in place, that'll pump some slop up this way.  TS Florence is still a ways away however but still monitoring that too...

Still sunny here and up to 82F, it's close to hot with the sun. Can see on satellite this little section of east central Jersey is the only place in the midatlantic that is sunny with a black hole that won't fill in. What in the universe is going on here i was looking forward to a cool day in a sea of hot lol.

17 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Just about dark now at 8 pm. By the end of this month it will dark at 7 pm. Sometimes I forget to take that into account when planning work outside in the late afternoon/evening.

For me, the most dramatic was this morning when the sun was due to rise ~6:30 am and because of the cloud cover, it was barely twilightish at 7 am!

Current temp is 82 and partly cloudy and not too bad out.  The lull before what will probably be the last (extended) blast of heat.

27 minutes ago, RedSky said:

September the new summer month

I remember when I was little and in elementary school, it used to almost always be hot that first week of school and we looked ridiculous in our brand new heavier-weight "fall" school clothes (that we insisted on wearing) when it was in the 80s and 90s. :lol:  Of course back then we couldn't wear jeans or shorts to school either. lol

23 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I remember when I was little and in elementary school, it used to almost always be hot that first week of school and we looked ridiculous in our brand new heavier-weight "fall" school clothes (that we insisted on wearing) when it was in the 80s and 90s. :lol:  Of course back then we couldn't wear jeans or shorts to school either. lol

Try wearing a tie every day (top button had to buttoned) and no A/C in classrooms. Grades 1-12...and it's 90+ out, complete hell.

Just now, Birds~69 said:

Try wearing a tie every day (top button had to buttoned) and no A/C in classrooms. Grades 1-12...and it's 90+ out, complete hell.

I hear ya. And I expect the Philly schools will probably have to be let out early for a couple more days this week due to no A/C and heat advisories in place. 

19 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

lol...yes!! I'm a survivor of 12 years of Catholic school and all the nuns would say was to offer it up to the souls in purgatory. Those nuns were bundled up head-to-toe in their habits (navy blue or black), so we weren't getting any sympathy out of them!

2 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

lol...yes!! I'm a survivor of 12 years of Catholic school and all the nuns would say was to offer it up to the souls in purgatory. Those nuns were bundled up head-to-toe in their habits (navy blue or black), so we weren't getting any sympathy out of them!

So damn true!

To make it even worse we weren't allowed to have any drink/food on our desk during class time. I can understand no food but drink (water)? WTF? I'm sweating/dehydrated like a madman!!

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

So damn true!

To make it even worse we weren't allowed to have any drink/food on our desk during class time. I can understand no food but drink (water)? WTF? I'm sweating/dehydrated like a madman!!

If it was really hot, the nuns might march us down to the water fountain after recess. Everyone got 5 seconds at the fountain. If you stayed longer, you got smacked in the back of the head that your time was up!

Anyway, just hit 90F. 

14 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

If it was really hot, the nuns might march us down to the water fountain after recess. Everyone got 5 seconds at the fountain. If you stayed longer, you got smacked in the back of the head that your time was up!

Anyway, just hit 90F. 

Damn, I remember that...and the water fountain flow was like 1 ounce every 10 minutes. Kids would "suck" the flow from the output/outflow nozzle to get more in their "time span"....really gross. 

Let's hope for a pop up storm or two this afternoon....

8 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Ah the old brick oven schools obviously designed to bake the devil outta ya like the fires of hell