Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September Models and Pattern: The March to Fall

moneypitmike

9 hours ago, rimetree said:

Ya, I'll take any forecast more than a few days out with a grain of salt, let alone plan on any entire month being either AN or BN.

I do not think it has anything to do with forecasts and/or the models. The overall weather pattern has produced well above normal warmth for several months. And as things stand right now the pattern looks to continue into October. 

Definitely, I have just seen recent cases with reports (tweets) of impending heat within a weeks time only to see that not come to fruition. I'm wondering if its a function of the late summer/early fall transition that makes a 7-day highly suspect because the atmosphere is in transition? In mid-summer or winter, I expect your going to get days 5 through 7 right more often?

26 minutes ago, rimetree said:

Definitely, I have just seen recent cases with reports (tweets) of impending heat within a weeks time only to see that not come to fruition. I'm wondering if its a function of the late summer/early fall transition that makes a 7-day highly suspect because the atmosphere is in transition? In mid-summer or winter, I expect your going to get days 5 through 7 right more often?

But we are still getting the heat... Last night set a record high low at LGA. This time of 80s are still well above normal, but people always forget to look at the low temperatures too. Average daily temperatures have been running above normal pretty much all month with a few breaks. A string of average high temperatures does not mean the pattern is average if your low temperatures are well above average.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol at 70-75 and 50.

Good luck !

There isn't going to be a torch like you were touting yesterday and the days prior....good luck with that lol.   Going to be about 70 today and substantially less than that tomorrow.  Saturday 70-75 and Sunday too.  Any next week looking to be in the low 70's.... so beautiful weather with no beastly torches.

1 hour ago, JustinRP37 said:

One thing I am worried about is how averages always seem to win out. With so many locations having near record precipitation, when do we fall back into a dry period? There could be a good chance that we flip to cold and dry. We will see...

Or even better, warm and dry.  Everyone's favorite winter pattern.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I would love me some fair weather 40s in January. 

Only on a day when I can go icefishing.  :weenie:

Except of course for the obligatory grinch storm.

Last year was the un-Grinchiest of 20 here, with cold wx and 8" powder on Christmas Day, falling atop a 10" pack.
In 20 years, only 5 have avoided the Grinch.  12 have had rainy, snow-eating wx and the other 3 had the same sensible wx but no snow to begin with.