• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

snowlover2

September 2018 General Discussion

On 9/15/2018 at 3:15 PM, Hoosier said:

There may be a shot at 90 at ORD on Thursday.  Temps aloft look to be at or near the threshold out ahead of a low heading toward the Lakes.  

I have decent confidence in this considering it's 4 days out and in the back half of September.  ORD is in the upper 80s today, and thermal profiles aloft look a bit warmer on Thursday and will also have stronger low level flow.  

In a strange coincidence, the record high for September 20 (92) was set last year and could well be in play this year if things go right.  

Also, can't entirely rule out 90 tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Already in the upper 80s at ORD, so 90 looks likely today.

As far as Thursday, I'd go as far as to say mid 90s aren't out of the question assuming no impacts from cloud cover.

Yeah when I moved to Wisconsin I didn't think I would be working in temps near 90 in September... For us up in Wausau Wisconsin that looks to end tonight though.  Storms will be blowing through with temps dropping into the 60s for highs for several days 

93 here in Champaign. This now gives us seven readings of 90+ for the month of September, with opportunity to add on to that until Friday.

Harvest is now in full swing, with hot and dry weather expected until the weekend, the farmers should have over half of the fields done. I’m ready for that first bite of October fall air. 

EDIT: 94 now. 

This heat index map is reminiscent of some of those days in the late September 2017 hot spell.

Might be hard to keep dews as high as the NAM suggests during the afternoon, but it could be underdone a bit on 2m temps which may cancel that out and still result in 95-100 heat indices.

sfctapp.us_mw.thumb.png.a9fde9d1f0400a04b092c303de1ae6cb.png

Despite the widespread 3-5” from the remnants of Gordon just a week ago, the ground is really starting to dry up from the extreme heat. September almost a lock to finish above normal, keep hearing rumblings of a colder than normal October. I say bring it. 

21 hours ago, luckyweather said:

Just in time for the fall chairlift rides up Rib Mountain. They start for the season this week on Thursday night.

Yep I live about 10 minutes from Rib mountain off of exit 190. I was pleasantly surprised at the elevation up at Rib mountain when I visited there this summer. It is beautiful up there.

• Like 1

Hit 92 at KIND today. The amazing thing is that there was a slight but persistent north west flow all day. With breeze from that direction I always expect cool to cold temps. Not today!

8 hours ago, Stebo said:

Hit 90 here today.

58 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Stayed in the upper-40's all day yesterday with persistent drizzle. Summer looks and feels a thing of the past. Leaves are beautiful so far this year.  Could see the first flakes towards the end of this month.  Average September snow is .2".

Talk about a difference. Shows just how different the up is from everyone else climatically. 

So ORD hit 93 on Thursday (MDW 95), breaking the daily record set last year.

As far as I can tell, that is the first time that Chicago tied/broke a high temp record on the same day in back to back years since 9/8/1959 and 9/8/1960.  Of course it used to be easier to do that when there was less data, but it's really hard to time it just right nowadays with almost 150 years of weather records.

We’ve had 11 readings of 90 degrees or more  for the month of September, last September we had 12. Septorcher I’m back to back years. Although this cool down will help chew away at the positive anomalies.