• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September 2018 General Discussion

snowlover2

93 here in Champaign. This now gives us seven readings of 90+ for the month of September, with opportunity to add on to that until Friday.

Harvest is now in full swing, with hot and dry weather expected until the weekend, the farmers should have over half of the fields done. I’m ready for that first bite of October fall air. 

EDIT: 94 now. 

This heat index map is reminiscent of some of those days in the late September 2017 hot spell.

Might be hard to keep dews as high as the NAM suggests during the afternoon, but it could be underdone a bit on 2m temps which may cancel that out and still result in 95-100 heat indices.

sfctapp.us_mw.thumb.png.a9fde9d1f0400a04b092c303de1ae6cb.png

21 hours ago, luckyweather said:

Just in time for the fall chairlift rides up Rib Mountain. They start for the season this week on Thursday night.

Yep I live about 10 minutes from Rib mountain off of exit 190. I was pleasantly surprised at the elevation up at Rib mountain when I visited there this summer. It is beautiful up there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stebo said:

Hit 90 here today.

58 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Stayed in the upper-40's all day yesterday with persistent drizzle. Summer looks and feels a thing of the past. Leaves are beautiful so far this year.  Could see the first flakes towards the end of this month.  Average September snow is .2".

Talk about a difference. Shows just how different the up is from everyone else climatically. 

So ORD hit 93 on Thursday (MDW 95), breaking the daily record set last year.

As far as I can tell, that is the first time that Chicago tied/broke a high temp record on the same day in back to back years since 9/8/1959 and 9/8/1960.  Of course it used to be easier to do that when there was less data, but it's really hard to time it just right nowadays with almost 150 years of weather records.

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

We’ve had 11 readings of 90 degrees or more  for the month of September, last September we had 12. Septorcher I’m back to back years. Although this cool down will help chew away at the positive anomalies. 

Would be fairly impressive to end the month with these anomalies.  But we won't.

MonthTDeptUS.png.b3b909421c327b6755f87e151cfc4ca5.png

MLI tied last year's record of 94 a few days ago.  The next day we generally stayed in the 60s.  Quite the change.  This fresh Canadian air feels quite nice after a long hot summer.  MLI ended up with 38 90+ days.

Hit 45 here this morning.  Point has 40 for tonight.  Great bonfire weather!

• Like 1

84 at ORD today.  Big deal, right?  Well, I mention it because it's the 98th day of 80+ this year.  There have been 7 years that have recorded 100 or more days of 80+ for Chicago, with the record being 103 days in 2005.  All but one of those occurred after 1950, with observation site location moving more inland undoubtedly playing a role in that.  

Could be tough to get to that record, but perhaps at least a couple more days can be tacked on to reach 100.