• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
MattPetrulli

What to do for Meteorology

Hello i'm a sophomore in high school and its been a goal of mine for a very long time to become a meteorologist. I would like to be recommended the high school classes to take for meteorology, what to expect for college, and is going into meteorology really a good job field economically.  Also anything else someone would like to recommend to me. 

1. Let the guidance counselors earn their keep. 

2. An unholy barrage of god-tier mathematics that push the boundaries of human faculties and resillience. Then syllabus week ends. 

3. I can name obscenely wealthy people in pretty much every conceivable profession and occupation, except meteorology. A few broadcast mets in the biggest cities could probably cop that Maserati. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MattPetrulli said:

Hello i'm a sophomore in high school and its been a goal of mine for a very long time to become a meteorologist. I would like to be recommended the high school classes to take for meteorology, what to expect for college, and is going into meteorology really a good job field economically.  Also anything else someone would like to recommend to me. 

You definitely want to have an extremely strong background in mathematics. You'll have to do math up through differential equations (Calc I, Calc II, Calc III, differential equations...though you can take differential before calc III). Not sure what your math background is or your skill set is with math but if math is a strong suit for you I would certainly look into taking calc ASAP and if you can enter your freshman year of school into calc II you'll be in a good spot. 

Virtually though you want to be strong or have a background in many sciences...chemistry and especially physics. 

I struggled horrifically through physics and the math but i made it through. Takes dedication and sacrifices. Of course though if you're a math genius you have nothing to worry about. 

As far as job field/opportunities afterwards there are numerous possibilities. There's broadcasting, NWS, private sector....insurance companies, energy companies, etc, aviation...there really are so many fields/areas. You'll probably come across many depressing articles about the job field but in the end don't take much stock into them. There are opportunities out there...you just have to be open to anything, willing to learn/explore, and also be very willing to move anywhere and perhaps make minimal pay at first but once you're in the door you can start moving up. 

Good luck!  

On 8/30/2018 at 7:46 PM, MattPetrulli said:

I'd recommend going this rout: https://www.airforce.com/careers/detail/weather-officer They're always in demand and obviously you get great benefits. I almost did it myself but couldn't quite pull it off for personal reasons. Another option would be to enlist right out of high school. The military gives you exceptional training from what I have heard without all the annoying gen eds and costliness of college. It's definitely the route I would have taken a decade ago if I'd the foresight. You can become a weather observer after you get out of the military too. That's my current job and I was lucky to get it as they usually only take people with prior military experience. Good luck man, wish you the best. :)

On 9/4/2018 at 3:39 PM, H2Otown_WX said:

I'd recommend going this rout: https://www.airforce.com/careers/detail/weather-officer They're always in demand and obviously you get great benefits. I almost did it myself but couldn't quite pull it off for personal reasons. Another option would be to enlist right out of high school. The military gives you exceptional training from what I have heard without all the annoying gen eds and costliness of college. It's definitely the route I would have taken a decade ago if I'd the foresight. You can become a weather observer after you get out of the military too. That's my current job and I was lucky to get it as they usually only take people with prior military experience. Good luck man, wish you the best. :)

I am a forecaster for the USAF (enlisted side) and will be willing to answer any questions that come up.

• Like 1

I'm in a Comm College now looking to transfer to NCSU or UNCC within the next two years. Planning on a strong math/physics loaded curriculum, but if my goal were to work within meteorology related to tropical systems, any other advice per curriculum or internships down the road?? I'm also a disabled veteran so public sector would be a tad easier to get into than private, but private is still an option as of now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk