Most Online
    larrydan2003
    Newest Member
    larrydan2003
WxWatcher007

Major Hurricane Florence

33 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

That should rattle some nerves for officials.less recurve members 

Regardless of all the simulations today, the impacts in our Immediate area are very little. 

15 minutes ago, jewell2188 said:

Regardless of all the simulations today, the impacts in our Immediate area are very little. 

The 12Z GFS had a major hurricane crawling up the coast, with a landfall on Long Island.  
That would greatly impact the immediate area.

It's unlikely that it will play out that way, but I don't see the point in downplaying what the models showed. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Sactown4 said:

The 12Z GFS had a major hurricane crawling up the coast, with a landfall on Long Island.  
That would greatly impact the immediate area.

It's unlikely that it will play out that way, but I don't see the point in downplaying what the models showed. 

I was quoting on another post made by member who lives in the same area as me.

13 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

The media is starting to warn the public about this storm.

Id rather them hype it up and there be nothing than they diminish it and a CAT 5 makes landfall. Better to be safe than sorry. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jewell2188 said:

I was quoting on another post made by member who lives in the same area as me.

Well, that makes a lot of sense then, and thankfully my post was still reasoned enough to only leave me looking like a partial fool. :)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

Clearly SW through 120.

But when it makes its turn it's more N than NW, looks like it won't come as close to coast as at 12z.

Clearly a hurricane can run into a ridge like that. :rolleyes: EURO seems more plausible at this point. 

1 minute ago, SN_Lover said:

Clearly a hurricane can run into a ridge like that. :rolleyes: EURO seems more plausible at this point. 

Definitely inclined to favor the Euro/GGEM/UKMET southern solution for now given the GFS's inconsistency. Who knows what the FV3 is going to spit out. <_<

• Like 1

GFS wants to wedge 591 dm heights over New England with a 597 dm ridge banked NE to Florence's mid-level circulation. Then the heights drop east of Florence and weaken, decreasing mid-level steering flow and causing a stall. It's not an unlikely solution. However, you increase heights even slightly above NE/mid-Atlantic like on the recent ECMWF runs and you get a much further SW track. Any of these are realistic solutions though.

2 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

The main takeaway:

gfs_apcpn_watl_fh132_trend.thumb.gif.df43bea63ab77d43327ee8c1abad22d0.gif

From what I can see in the last frame the beginning of a recurve. Cranky on Twitter is hell bent on the gfs is going to end up being right. 

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, jewell2188 said:

From what I can see in the last frame the beginning of a recurve. Cranky on Twitter is hell bent on the gfs is going to end up being right. 

I see a dip to the southwest on this run

18Z HWRF and HMON are both coming in significantly SW of their 12Z runs. 18Z FV3 run is also coming in significantly further S then the 12Z run.

2 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

If I had to make a forecast cone, the GEFS would be it:

06L_gefs_latest.png

GEFS over EPS and UKMET ensembles?

Those GEFS tracks are also a fairly infrequently seen track for a hurricane.  Generally the re curve happens further south than those show on a system approaching from that far north.  You more often see a recurve that far north on a system that came up from areas further south and west

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jakkel138 said:

When was the last time the GEFS tracks verified for a cyclone... I can't remember

At this range it’s happebed for sure.  Inside Day 5-6 not very often that I remember for a significant  system

46 minutes ago, ncskywarn said:

18Z HWRF and HMON are both coming in significantly SW of their 12Z runs. 18Z FV3 run is also coming in significantly further S then the 12Z run.

yeah they are much closer to the Euro/Ukie/ICon/CMC blend now.....HWRF is well SW of Bermuda heading WNW at the end of the run....a solid 200 miles SW shift since the 06Z run this morning....

7 minutes ago, yoda said:

GEFS over EPS and UKMET ensembles?

I'm not saying I trust it more, just that a fairly close brush with the coast seems instinctively to be the more likely outcome. I'm simply speculating though, so I guess this probably isn't the place to do so.

7 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

I'm not saying I trust it more, just that a fairly close brush with the coast seems instinctively to be the more likely outcome. I'm simply speculating though, so I guess this probably isn't the place to do so.

Since you are part of the Southeast, try the regional discussion here. That would work better there than here.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/51251-2018-general-tropical-discussion/

11 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

We won’t know anything until the ridge rebuilds and the storm emerges.  Don’t get hung up on any solution.  Whenever we do that in the winter we end up shoveling air.

1 minute ago, TriPol said:

Why do I get the feeling that a completely new solution will reveal itself to us tonight?

Because it's totally possible. We're still far enough out where almost everything is on the table.