Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

Are you new to this area? Weather has been pretty typical so far this year.

Born and raised here... This summer was not typical of this area, sorry to say. Quick look at hours of dews above 70 and cloud cover for the summer will quickly show you this was not a “typical” summer. And as Bluewave pointed out 117 days of measurable precipitation and counting for #1. 

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

Are you new to this area? Weather has been pretty typical so far this year.

See below

Just now, JustinRP37 said:

Born and raised here... This summer was not typical of this area, sorry to say. Quick look at hours of dews above 70 and cloud cover for the summer will quickly show you this was not a “typical” summer. 

Yup the percentage of cloud cover during daylight hours has been exceptionally high this year going all the way back to March.

• Thanks 1

A whole lot wetter further west, it’s as if we experienced two different summers.

Only September has felt noticeably cloudy on Long Island. Summer as a whole was very run of the mill, sunshine and precip-wise. Humidity was off the charts and temps were slightly above normal.

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

See below

Yup the percentage of cloud cover during daylight hours has been exceptionally high this year going all the way back to March.

Thanks! Yeah looking at the cloud cover data it has been pretty impressive for awhile. Hopefully we don’t flip to dry and snowless for summer, but we will see. Even though I do not think I will be able to get out skiing this year (just welcomed my son into the world), I do love a nice bluebird winter day with great snow cover. 

2 minutes ago, Cfa said:

In my opinion, only September has felt noticeably cloudy on Long Island. Summer as a whole felt run of the mill, sunshine and precip-wise. Though humidity was off the charts and temps were slightly above normal.

Yeah one thing I noticed this year is Long Island was much sunnier than just inland. I had to go to the field station a bunch further upstate and going from the city, I was amazed how different the days were. I would look at beach webcams and what not and it would be clear on the south shore and cloudy upstate. Just impressive dynamics really this summer with those dews.

2 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

Thanks! Yeah looking at the cloud cover data it has been pretty impressive for awhile. Hopefully we don’t flip to dry and snowless for summer, but we will see. Even though I do not think I will be able to get out skiing this year (just welcomed my son into the world), I do love a nice bluebird winter day with great snow cover. 

?? Heheh. You'll manage to get out, trust me at some point your wife will tell you to get out of her way and go do something ;) 

1 minute ago, JustinRP37 said:

Yeah one thing I noticed this year is Long Island was much sunnier than just inland. I had to go to the field station a bunch further upstate and going from the city, I was amazed how different the days were. I would look at beach webcams and what not and it would be clear on the south shore and cloudy upstate. Just impressive dynamics really this summer with those dews.

That 117 number BW posted is way short of what it's been up here just 60 miles from midtown. I'd add another 50 to that easily but that's just anecdotal from looking at cams and such.

16 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

?? Heheh. You'll manage to get out, trust me at some point your wife will tell you to get out of her way and go do something ;) 

That 117 number BW posted is way short of what it's been up here just 60 miles from midtown. I'd add another 50 to that easily but that's just anecdotal from looking at cams and such.

I guess you know I'm sleep deprived haha. Snowless summer haha. I know some people would love a snowy summer on here. I need sleep. 

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Don, I just ran the numbers and NYC set an impressive long term record for measurable precipitation. Today was the 117th day this year with measurable precipitation at NYC through 9-25.  The record WAR pattern and tropical moisture pushed NYC over the top.

Most days with measurable precipitation in NYC 1-1 through  9-25

#1...117 days....2018

#2...113 days....1950

#3...110 days....1916

#4...109 days....2003...1996

That’s very impressive.