Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

46 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

.I grew up during the 80s and early 90s, graduated HS in 1991, those years really sucked too.  No snow days, although some opening delays and early closings for our 4-5" (rare) snowfalls.  One big outlier was the Feb 1983 blizzard for which we got an early closing (by an hour) which was on a Friday afternoon before midwinter recess and the April 1982 blizzard which occurred during our spring break.  The only other snowstorms of any decent magnitude was a December snowstorm of like 8-9 inches that occurred on a weekend and a 7" incher that started right after the school day ended.  We did have Gloria in 1985 and Bob in 1991, that and a big severe weather outbreak in October 1989 are all I remember from that period, outside of the various big heat waves  where we went above 100 and the one or two big arctic outbreaks we had where we went below zero (which is why I became a fan of big temp extremes), and 1983 when we set the yearly rainfall record (which still stands) and which was our hottest summer of the period and also the year with our latest snowfall, (2" on April 20.)

I'm a few years older, I remember 1977/78, both years had good storms, then the others as you noted.  I don't think most kids today understand how hard it was to get a snow day---even a snowstorm.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

I'm a few years older, I remember 1977/78, both years had good storms, then the others as you noted.  I don't think most kids today understand how hard it was to get a snow day---even a snowstorm.

There was not a single snowstorm over 10 inches in NYC between 1983 and 1993 which is absurd. Couple that with almost all the 90s sucking and other systems that may have occured on days off or weekends and it's not hard to understand why there was never any days off back then. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sundog said:

There was not a single snowstorm over 10 inches in NYC between 1983 and 1993 which is absurd. Couple that with almost all the 90s sucking and other systems that may have occured on days off or weekends and it's not hard to understand why there was never any days off back then. 

you forgot the blizzard of 1983 over 17 inches fell in central park....

I can see NYC's snow drought had a serious psychological impact on those who experienced it. I never went through anything quite that bad but growing up in Allentown we got fringed by almost every major snowstorm of the 2000s (Jan 2005, Feb 2006, Feb 2007, December 2009, Feb 4-6 2010, with PDII being the one exception) before February 10, 2010 broke the curse with 18 inches of snow in 8 hours during my last winter there. Since then Allentown's had 3 18+ storms and I missed all of them, including 30" with the Blizzard of 2016 that hit 24 hours after I left to go back up to school.

14 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

I know everyone has been concentrating on the future track of Florence but it looks like we could get some heavy rain & storms Sunday/Monday with the potential for some flooding. The NWS is forecasting 1-2" of rain with locally higher amounts possible.

spinups possible as well with high shear and very moist low levels

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sundog said:

the longest stretch without a 10" snowfall in Central was between 2/12/83 and 3/13/93...the other stretch of futility was from 2/69 to 1/78...there were only four winters with a 10" snowfall from the 1969-70 winter and the 1991-92 winter....4 of 23 years...one year over 50"...no others over 30"...1977-78 had two big storms...50" seasonal...1978-79 got lucky in February...29" seasonal...1982 in April...25"...1983 in February...27"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gravity Wave said:

I can see NYC's snow drought had a serious psychological impact on those who experienced it. I never went through anything quite that bad but growing up in Allentown we got fringed by almost every major snowstorm of the 2000s (Jan 2005, Feb 2006, Feb 2007, December 2009, Feb 4-6 2010, with PDII being the one exception) before February 10, 2010 broke the curse with 18 inches of snow in 8 hours during my last winter there. Since then Allentown's had 3 18+ storms and I missed all of them, including 30" with the Blizzard of 2016 that hit 24 hours after I left to go back up to school.

Allentown and JFK had three great 20"+ snowstorms in common (one of them a 30"+ snowstorm), Feb 1983, PD2 and Jan 2016.  All of them occurred in moderate or stronger el ninos.  They featured the kind of pattern you need for a widespread historic snowstorm for our area (though the fringe line wasn't too far too our north with the last one- which is also a feature of el ninos of that magnitude.)

33 minutes ago, uncle W said:

nothing beats the period from March 3rd, 1960 to Feb. 4th 1961...four major blizzards and a major hurricane...these came in the middle of a long and severe 10 year drought...

December 2009 through October 2012 was pretty good too, big snowstorms, historic heatwaves, hurricanes, and went below zero in February too.

22 minutes ago, doncat said:

Plus two early snowstorms 10/28/2011 and 11/7/2012 and an earthquake to boot!

Yes the 5.8 earthquake (the only one I've ever felt)  and in August 2011 we had record daily rainfall and that was before Irene!  11/7/2012 was my earliest ever heavy snowstorm and 10/28/2011 was my earliest snowstorm of any accumulation.

1 hour ago, Rtd208 said:

I know everyone has been concentrating on the future track of Florence but it looks like we could get some heavy rain & storms Sunday/Monday with the potential for some flooding. The NWS is forecasting 1-2" of rain with locally higher amounts possible.

Models have been trending wetter and with a tropical influence, I could see locales getting 3-4" amounts out of this.

Still Looking like Once we attempt to clear tue and wed the WAR is pushing heights 594DM Over the area in a ssw flow.  Back to the oppressive humidity and with enough sun more 90s possible.  Florence can add some more heat as 850s are in the 17-20 range.

expect temps to come up those days (sep 11-13)ahead of any influence from Florence or the next front sep 15/16.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SACRUS said:

Still Looking like Once we attempt to clear tue and wed the WAR is pushing heights 594DM Over the area in a ssw flow.  Back to the oppressive humidity and with enough sun more 90s possible.  Florence can add some more heat as 850s are in the 17-20 range.

expect temps to come up those days (sep 11-13)ahead of any influence from Florence or the next front sep 15/16.

Tony, so even after Florence is gone we could still have some high heat days (90+ or at least heat indices of 90+) in the second half of the month?!

Next 8 days averaging 74degs., or 5degs. AN.

Florence targets Georgia to N. Carolina on the four globals in general use, with GFS the  furthest north and with at least some secondary impacts here.

Hurricane models have little 5-day spread and look headed for N. Carolina.

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Top 5 warmest first week of September across the region.

EWR....#4....81.1

LGA.....#2.....81.0

JFK......#6....78.1

ISP......#4....76.4

BDR.....#4....77.4

HPN......#5...75.7

PHL......#3...81.4

ACY......#2...80.7

ALB.....#2...76.8

POU....#4....75.4

Much of New England also saw among its warmest weeks.

Boston: 77.8° (3rd warmest)

Burlington: 74.1° (tied 3rd warmest)

Concord: 73.0° (6th warmest)

Manchester: 75.9° (2nd warmest)

Portland: 71.4° (3rd warmest)

Providence: 76.1° (4th warmest)

• Like 2