Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

7 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Thoughts on storms for later? The immediate south shore has been extremely dry, to the point that lawns a brown and perrenials and annuals are dying. 

It's getting ridiculous, no rain here in 15 days. I hope tonight delivers a good rain but it doesn't look that way based on radar.

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Cell mergers taking place along the South Shore as the outflow boundary collides with the sea breeze front.

WUNIDS_map.gif.ada02b1dc5f00c3495b5d850e72c85e4.gif

Very unusual wind direction with the strongest gusts here, NNE. Not what we usually get with thunderstorms. Could have something to do with being between the two stronger cells

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cfa said:

This is the best storm I’ve seen since October 2015. This storm may even be better than that one.

And of course, my stupid rain gauge would fail at a time like this. Reporting 0.00” after two downpours.

I've given up on digital rain gages lol they always seem to fail during big rainfall events.  I use the regular analog variety now.

12 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Best lightning I’ve seen in Suffolk maybe ever. Neighbors tree got hit

I agree, this is easily Florida-level. Top 5 ever for me in terms of lightning, I haven’t seen this many close by CG’s since I lived in Queens.

I saw a what I believe was a power flash to my SE and half of the sky turned pink for 5 seconds. All while fiddling with my malfunctioning PWS, I ran inside after that lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I agree, this is easily Florida-level. Top 5 ever for me in terms of lightning, I haven’t seen this many close by CG’s since I lived in Queens.

I saw a what I believe was a power flash to my SE and half of the sky turned pink for 5 seconds. All while fiddling with my malfunctioning PWS, I ran inside after that lol.

This makes me wish I had that lightning detector app thing that helps you take pictures of lightning lol.

38 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Very unusual wind direction with the strongest gusts here, NNE. Not what we usually get with thunderstorms. Could have something to do with being between the two stronger cells

I see Wantagh has picked up 1.48" so far. These 75+ dew points and 75+ SST's have really delivered for us this summer. We just had to put up with the dry streaks in early July and the last few weeks. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

This makes me wish I had that lightning detector app thing that helps you take pictures of lightning lol.

I know, I thought about setting up my camera, but it’s been at least 4 years since I’ve last captured lightning, I don’t even remember how to do it lol.

18 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I've given up on digital rain gages lol they always seem to fail during big rainfall events.  I use the regular analog variety now.

I’m so pissed, it’s never given me an issue until today. I even poured a bottle of water in it and it registered nothing. I hope it’s just an obstruction, this thing is barely 6 months old.

• Like 1