Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

36 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

I think the NWS (both Mt.Holly and Upton) were a bit on the low side with their expected high temperatures for today. I also think they are to low with their high temps for the next few days as well IMO.

I'll take your position.  All due respect to Mount Holly but it wouldn't be out-of-character for them to bust low over the next few days.

Really nice weather today honestly.  I'm looking forward to fall but it was nice and sunny and hot.  In the winter it can get too cold to breathe.  I'll take the over.

1 hour ago, Rtd208 said:

Today marks approx. 38 days that I have hit a temp of 90 or above here. Hot and very humid summer.

Today makes it the second highest number 90 degree or higher days in a year for LGA.

#1....48 days....2010

#2....35 days....2018...2002

#3....34 days....1991

#4....32 days....2016

#5....31 days....1983

1 hour ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

This weather is annoying bring on 10 ten degrees with heavy snow

I don’t think I’ve ever seen heavy snow below 25 degrees. I wouldn’t be opposed to it though, cold air holds less moisture, we wouldn’t have to contend with the waterlogged muck that we generally get.

29 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen heavy snow below 25 degrees. I wouldn’t be opposed to it though, cold air holds less moisture, we wouldn’t have to contend with the waterlogged muck that we generally get.

their been plenty of examples of heavy snow where the temps were under 25 degrees.. the 1996 blizzard even the 2010 christmas blizzard temps were around that mid 20's

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Numerous storms have featured heavy snow below that-Jan 1996, Jan 2014 are just 2 examples...

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Numerous storms have featured heavy snow below that-Jan 1996, Jan 2014 are just 2 examples...

1 hour ago, nycwinter said:

their been plenty of examples of heavy snow where the temps were under 25 degrees.. the 1996 blizzard even the 2010 christmas blizzard temps were around that mid 20's

So it seems that it isn’t a common occurrence. It feels like the vast majority of our snow events occur with temps near freezing, but I suppose it depends on one’s location.

Precip at 10 degrees is something I’ve definitely never witnessed, but we’re rarely that cold for any appreciable amount of time, if it gets that cold at all.

19 minutes ago, Cfa said:

So it seems that it isn’t a common occurrence. It feels like the vast majority of our snow events occur with temps near freezing, but I suppose it depends on one’s location.

Precip at 10 degrees is something I’ve definitely never witnessed, but we’re rarely that cold for any appreciable amount of time, if it gets that cold at all.

Sorry this just isn’t accurate 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 495weatherguy said:

I question the 84 at Islip.  I am in melville and it was hot and sunny-especially after 12 pm

My Davis recorded 88 in Commack. 84 seems low but the flow was more southerly today so ISP caught more of the ocean influence than we did further northwest.

was also extremely humid, heat index spiked to 100 mid day 

2 hours ago, Cfa said:

You’re crazy I’ve seen it numerous times. Guess you’re too young. Less playing more reading youngin

14 hours ago, Cfa said:

Alternating between cloudy and sunny here in Southampton, feels 80-ish with a strong breeze. Very comfortable.

86/78/98 at home though.

...yeah..same deal yesterday @ west hampton dunes..low clouds dominated the day..people were

complaining that the sun wasn't out in full force..you couldn't see those advertising planes because of the

low deck of clouds..

9 hours ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

You’re crazy I’ve seen it numerous times. Guess you’re too young. Less playing more reading youngin

You’ve seen heavy snow at 10 degrees numerous times?

9 hours ago, psv88 said:

Sorry this just isn’t accurate 

So most snowstorms don’t occur when it’s roughly 28-33 degrees? Perhaps I’m off, but it certainly feels that way.

25 was probably too warm though, 22-23 would’ve been more fitting. I’ve never seen snow at anything remotely close to 10 degrees, however.

2 hours ago, CIK62 said:

Next 8 days averaging 76degs, or about 6degs. AN.

And then there was one!    Only CMC shows Florence trapped now and forced westward to coast.   EURO is out of picture now too.

Climo.   I had to laugh at all the speculation (10 days out nonetheless) that this was coming to the coast.   Low low probability.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cfa said:

So most snowstorms don’t occur when it’s roughly 28-33 degrees? Perhaps I’m off, but it certainly feels that way.

25 was probably too warm though, 22-23 would’ve been more fitting. I’ve never seen snow at anything remotely close to 10 degrees, however.

He didn't say 10 degrees. Your post said mid 20's...and he's saying that there have been numerous storms with snow with colder temps than 25.     You are correct, many storms are b/w 25-33 however to say that it's exceedingly rare to see a snowstorm at less than 25 is not accurate...there are plenty of examples over the last 30-40 yrs.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I’ve seen it before and that’s usually a big storm that temps just keep dropping as the low intensifies with already an arctic air mass in place.

35 minutes ago, Cfa said:

There was significant snow during early daylight hours of Sunday, Jan.20, 1985, in Brooklyn at least,  on strong NW winds and 11degs.    It cleared and we set a -2deg. record Monday morning.

• Thanks 1