joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Lane impacts Hawaii

NJwx85

29 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I'm not going to lie. I know I'm crazy.

I'd trade with you in a heartbeat. 

ETA: BUT ONLY if I were on my own. Experiencing significant wx with family is awful lol. 

It’s easy to say that from 6000 miles away. I know I’ve said it. Sandy was scary and this looks to top that.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

It’s easy to say that from 6000 miles away. I know I’ve said it. Sandy was scary and this looks to top that.

but sandy was the largest ever tropical cyclone in the atlantic. tropical force winds extended 900 miles this storm tropical force winds extend out less than 200 miles...

9 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

but sandy was the largest ever tropical cyclone in the atlantic. tropical force winds extended 900 miles this storm tropical force winds extend out less than 200 miles...

But I should end up well within 200 miles and in the NE quadrant 

1 hour ago, Dunkman said:

Looking at the current satellite I think the big island disrupting the northern outflow is impacting the storm much more than the shear, at least so far.

The outflow layer is way up above 30,000 ft, well above the tallest peak on the big island.

Oahu and Maui seem to be the islands in the cross hairs. I know there are other small islands..but just thinking about the larger populations. The rainfall could be prolific if that passes close enough. Seems to me that rainfall is the biggest hazard right now and at the moment...wind and surge not as much. There are still some EPS members that imply otherwise.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Oahu and Maui seem to be the islands in the cross hairs. I know there are other small islands..but just thinking about the larger populations. The rainfall could be prolific if that passes close enough. Seems to me that rainfall is the biggest hazard right now and at the moment...wind and surge not as much. There are still some EPS members that imply otherwise.

Riding it out here on the SW corner of Ohau in Ko Olin’a.

BULLETIN
Hurricane Lane Advisory Number 34
NWS Central Pacific Hurricane Center Honolulu HI EP142018
500 PM HST Wed Aug 22 2018

...DANGEROUS HURRICANE LANE TRACKING NORTHWEST AND ON COURSE TO
PASS VERY CLOSE TO THE ISLANDS THURSDAY AND FRIDAY...

SUMMARY OF 500 PM HST...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...15.9N 156.5W
ABOUT 260 MI...415 KM S OF KAILUA-KONA HAWAII
ABOUT 385 MI...620 KM SSE OF HONOLULU HAWAII
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...145 MPH...230 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 310 DEGREES AT 8 MPH...13 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...939 MB...27.73 INCHES

WATCHES AND WARNINGS
--------------------
CHANGES WITH THIS ADVISORY:

The Hurricane Watch has been changed to a Hurricane Warning for the
island of Oahu.

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

I’m so jealous. Being on Hawaii for a cane. My god. 

A day ago you were telling me that all I would get was some rain, now you’re jealous. Yeah Lane is weakening, but slowly, and at best I’m losing two days of my vacation to heavy rain and at worst I might be in a life threatening situation with the possibility of not being able to get out.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

A day ago you were telling me that all I would get was some rain, now you’re jealous. Yeah Lane is weakening, but slowly, and at best I’m losing two days of my vacation to heavy rain and at worst I might be in a life threatening situation with the possibility of not being able to get out.

vibes dude.  we are praying for you here!

12 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I still think you are fine. Even worst case scenario you are fine, that hotel is like a fort, well built. Only concern would be those mountain side roads washing out, but I’d have to assume they have heavy rain often and the roads can handle the rain. 

10 minutes ago, psv88 said:

I still think you are fine. Even worst case scenario you are fine, that hotel is like a fort, well built. Only concern would be those mountain side roads washing out, but I’d have to assume they have heavy rain often and the roads can handle the rain. 

I’m pretty much going under the assumption that the bottom floor is going to be completely washed out. We parked the car on the third deck, but honestly 20” of rain is going to cause massive runoff everywhere. It’s a rental obviously, so whatever happens, oh well.

Most of the locals here live on the side of the mountains or down the valley along H1,  they are in big trouble. The South facing shore hardly sees any rain, most of it falls inland over the mountains or on the North and East facing shores. The mountain just to my north is an extinct volcano and has little vegitation.

10 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I’m pretty much going under the assumption that the bottom floor is going to be completely washed out. We parked the car on the third deck, but honestly 20” of rain is going to cause massive runoff everywhere. It’s a rental obviously, so whatever happens, oh well.

Most of the locals here live on the side of the mountains or down the valley along H1,  they are in big trouble. The South facing shore hardly sees any rain, most of it falls inland over the mountains or on the North and East facing shores. The mountain just to my north is an extinct volcano and has little vegitation.

Yeah a lot of low areas flood just from king tides.