• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Raifu
    Newest Member
    Raifu

Hurricane Lane impacts Hawaii

24 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

Remember when you thought this would be worse than Sandy for you, enjoy the breeze

Well the storm hasn’t passed yet, but yes looks like it’s nbd here

35 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I guess the million dollar question is does that heavy band of rain SW of Lahaina make it to Oahu?

No. 

Not one band of rain associated with Lane has made it up here without falling apart. 

11 minutes ago, metalicwx366 said:

No. 

Not one band of rain associated with Lane has made it up here without falling apart. 

Power just flashed here for the first time 

12 minutes ago, metalicwx366 said:

No. 

I don’t know, that band looks pretty solid now. And some persistent heavy showers are finally building on the Windward side of the island.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Power just flashed here for the first time 

What kinda winds are you seeing there? We just gusted up to 40MPH.

Rain we are getting currently still associated with wet trades.

Just now, metalicwx366 said:

What kinda winds are you seeing there? We just gusted up to 40MPH.

We’ve had some stronger gusts, close to 50. The stronger gusts seem to accompany the rain, so I’m sure if some actual convection can build in we will finally see tropical storm conditions. That bright band offshore is full of 50-60mph sustained wind with some gusts over 70 still embedded.

Lane finally showing a pulse the last hour or so as IR indicates some new convection firing to the NE of the LLC as we approach the dirunial maximum. You can see this on radar as a fairly healthy looking band of rain has formed just to the South of Maui and Oahu, generally moving Northward.

23 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

njwx's lack of tropical knowledge and spelling is appalling ITT

I know more than you think, however when your family is directly in the path of a hurricane you tend to look at things differently than you would from thousands of miles away.

And secondly, @wxtrix called and wants her grammar police shield back.

• Like 3

@metalicwx366 I can smell the rain and visually see a shower passing by to the South now. Even a few sprinkles here. I think a sign of things shifting a bit to a more Southerly flow.

15 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I know more than you think, however when your family is directly in the path of a hurricane you tend to look at things differently than you would from thousands of miles away.

you are at a Disney resort for 40mph gusts and passing showers

stop being over dramatic 

7 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

you are at a Disney resort for 40mph gusts and passing showers

stop being over dramatic 

Who’s being dramatic? Yesterday Lane was a category 4 hurricane that was holding its own, obviously the shear was too much to overcome even with how well organized the circulation was. The models were also all over the place, both in terms of track and intensity until this morning. We had reason to be concerned. And the rain and fresh water flash flood potential still remains.

2 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

It really is not a good thing wind is what most take so seriously... flooding doesn't get the attention but is far more widespread and destructive.

The Windward side of the big island is experiencing catastrophic flooding and the forecast here is for lots more rain regardless as to whether or not Lane becomes a remnant low.

Wind has picked up here and the dew point has shot up from 66 to 70 over the last hour. Sustained winds are out of the East at 30mph with gusts to 50.

38 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

@metalicwx366 I can smell the rain and visually see a shower passing by to the South now. Even a few sprinkles here. I think a sign of things shifting a bit to a more Southerly flow.

Yep, radar starting to fill in slowly. 

0Z GFS and HRRR still showing the potential of some significant rainfall with a heavy band of rain that sets up over the area tomorrow. Sort of reminds me of Darby from 2016 when we got significant flash flooding after the system passed when flow turned southerly. 

23 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

The Windward side of the big island is experiencing catastrophic flooding and the forecast here is for lots more rain regardless as to whether or not Lane becomes a remnant low.

Harvey should've taught that lesson, bad wind damage in tiny locale, known for flooding and destruction of wide area from fresh water flooding. Allison is perfect example.