• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Lane impacts Hawaii

NJwx85

Good morning from Oahu. Not much has changed overnight. I’m surprised to find the rain bands are still offshore and that the most recent track has been shifted back to the left. On radar you can almost see two centers, so decoupling might be occuring. Using an ap that I have which gives ocean observations, I was able to pick up a reading of 91mph a few minutes ago sustained winds in what’s left of the Northern eyewall, and 71 in the convection in what’s left of the Eastern portion of the eyewall. Lane is likely no stronger than about 95-100 max winds at this point.

I have an interesting question about prediction. Does the NWS WPC provide any QPF map for Hawaii at any time? Now that the event is half-over (or something like that,) and the floods have already occurred, I am wondering if there is any way to get a model QPF for Hawaii other than GFS/ other global models?

5 minutes ago, Chinook said:

I have an interesting question about prediction. Does the NWS WPC provide any QPF map for Hawaii at any time? Now that the event is half-over (or something like that,) and the floods have already occurred, I am wondering if there is any way to get a model QPF for Hawaii other than GFS/ other global models?

I have that same exact question and I have been able to find nothing. In fact, I have had trouble finding sources to view model data for Hawaii. Tropical Tidbits was probably the best site because you could get pretty close on HI but the products are very limited. I had juse been using the MAG page from NOAA and clicking the HI sector and using the few models available to look at projected rainfall totals. 

26 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Maui is getting pounded right now, meanwhile all the rain here is on the North shore.

Pretty typical rainfall pattern for Oahu as the flow is similar to the trades. You often see these intense areas of rain on the east side that dry up before they reach Waikiki. Like I said in an earlier post I have seen 6”+ in 12 hours while I was staying at sharks cove on kam highway on the north shore. So far it seems all the rain has been following pretty traditional patterns which should mitigate damage. 

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Pretty typical rainfall pattern for Oahu as the flow is similar to the trades. You often see these intense areas of rain on the east side that dry up before they reach Waikiki. Like I said in an earlier post I have seen 6”+ in 12 hours while I was staying at sharks cove on kam highway on the north shore. So far it seems all the rain has been following pretty traditional patterns which should mitigate damage. 

Yeah the only way it’s really going to be impactful here is if the winds flip around to the Southeast and for that to happen the center needs to get closer, and it may never make it close enough.

12 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

One thing i love about Oahu and Kawaii is the rainfall patterns. Everyday its sunny at the beach and raining in the mountains, makes for great scenery