Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Hurricane Lane impacts Hawaii

NJwx85

3 minutes ago, metalicwx366 said:

My phone just sounded off really loudly. Didn’t even receive a notification.

For some reason it’s been really spotty. For example when the watch was issued, we heard phones go off, mine didn’t. Now with the warning, mine went off and my Wife’s didn’t. We have the same provider.

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

Regardless of if it landfalls or not, 20"+ of rain on those mountainous islands is no joke. 

Likely to be the most impactful hurricane since Iniki. 

And unlike most mountains, these don’t have much vegitation to stop the flow, might as well be rock.

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

Does anyone have rainfall data for the 18z HWRF? Looks like a possible landfall right near PHNL

Nope. Takes it basically on the same path as the latest GFS and GALWEM model runs. 

So much uncertainty/model disagreement 24 hours out from the event. We basically just went with the westward track and discounted all the models that show this getting sucked up into the big island or Maui,

The 6z HWRF is a landfall in Oahu in 36 hrs as major.... 

Largely on its own, with only a few members of EPS hinting at this potential. 

That said still significant track/intensity uncertainty with Lane over next 48 hr. Part of this, I presume has to do with the development of another weak tropical disturbance to his east. The euro has this disturbance develop into a weak TS and head towards the big island. I would think —all else being equal —-that could cause Lane to track more north, than west. Imo it also helps explain the significant divergence (split)  in modeled tracks over the next 24 hr....

2 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

00z ECMWF is pretty much in line with 5pm CPHC track, maybe even slightly West. Great in terms of keeping the core mostly offshore, bad in terms of rain and duration.

If I were you I’d pat myself on the back for timing a big hurricane to experience while commiserating with your wife about what bad timing.... ;)

• Haha 3

54 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

The 6z HWRF is a landfall in Oahu in 36 hrs as major.... 

Largely on its own, with only a few members of EPS hinting at this potential. 

That said still significant track/intensity uncertainty with Lane over next 48 hr. Part of this, I presume has to do with the development of another weak tropical disturbance to his east. The euro has this disturbance develop into a weak TS and head towards the big island. I would think —all else being equal —-that could cause Lane to track more north, than west. Imo it also helps explain the significant divergence (split)  in modeled tracks over the next 24 hr....

Correction, this run has landfall on Lanai and then Molokai as Major.

3 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Regarding Rainfall. Hilo has had 9.92" in the last 18 hours. Radar looks to continue to hammer that area in the coming hours.

Rainfall totals like this probably happen there once a year (Hilo is one of the rainiest cities in the US).  Hopefully this means the soil/infrastructure/ground substructure can handle what's to come...

Good morning from Ohau. Woke up this morning to find overcast skies with even a few breaks. The cloud deck is mostly high to mid level, and the ocean still appears calm. It’s breezy, but nothing significant yet. There have been a few gusts close to 40mph. Found out last night that this place was built to handle a direct hit from a cat 3 hurricane, so I feel a lot safer about the situation. The locals are a different story.

We’re trying to salvage the morning at the pool, but the radar indicates it’s already raining near Wikiki. 

I’ll continue to update as much as I can.

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Good morning from Ohau. Woke up this morning to find overcast skies with even a few breaks. The cloud deck is mostly high to mid level, and the ocean still appears calm. It’s breezy, but nothing significant yet. There have been a few gusts close to 40mph. Found out last night that this place was built to handle a direct hit from a cat 3 hurricane, so I feel a lot safer about the situation. The locals are a different story.

We’re trying to salvage the morning at the pool, but the radar indicates it’s already raining near Wikiki. 

I’ll continue to update as much as I can.

Yea man, i told you, those hotels are built like fortresses. You should just sit back and enjoy. Eat some delicious pineapple, the Hawaiian bacon and ham, and some conkfish and relax. 

6 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Yea man, i told you, those hotels are built like fortresses. You should just sit back and enjoy. Eat some delicious pineapple, the Hawaiian bacon and ham, and some conkfish and relax. 

Well it’s funny, our hotel is built like that. The Four Seasons and Marriott next door might be too. All those old hotels in Wikiki are not.

Lane is looking better on latest IR loop. Outflow is a bit less restricted in the SW quadrant and the entire CDO is more symmetrical with an eye a bit more pronounced and deep convection still present in all four quadrants. It’s being sheared, but at some point if a more Northerly track ensued, wouldn’t that actually help ventilate the storm instead of shearing it apart?

23 minutes ago, bugalou said:

Flooding and landslides are going to be a huge deal when all is said in done, particularly since the storm is going to rake the entire chain with the NE quadrant.  I think this is going to get pretty bad out there.

I disagree. The windward side of Kaua’i for example is the wettest place on earth. I have been on Oahu when it rained 6”+ in 12 hours and the only issues were puddles and the ocean turning brown. Tropical islands with steep topography are accustomed to big rain. The islands are made out of volcanic rock which is hard and stays in place. Soils are also thin. 

I’m sure there will be some isolated flood damage and some power outages. But I think the media is over hyping this one after Maria and  PR last year. 

I actually heard on the radio in NYC today “the hurricane is expected to make landfall as a cat 3 later today”. Landfall? 

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I disagree. The windward side of Kaua’i for example is the wettest place on earth. I have been on Oahu when it rained 6”+ in 12 hours and the only issues were puddles and the ocean turning brown. Tropical islands with steep topography are accustomed to big rain. The islands are made out of volcanic rock which is hard and stays in place. Soils are also thin. 

I’m sure there will be some isolated flood damage and some power outages. But I think the media is over hyping this one after Maria and  PR last year. 

I actually heard on the radio in NYC today “the hurricane is expected to make landfall as a cat 3 later today”. Landfall? 

isolated flood damage? that will be the under statement of the year.. 3 to 5 inches of rain earlier this year in a short period of time in honolulu wreaked havoc... imagine when this storm is over how much rain will fall on the city...