Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Lane impacts Hawaii

NJwx85

4 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

IR looks like ERC underway, but hard to tell. Overall appearance still looking stellar.

Edit: Perhaps some southeasterly shear starting to take affect. Outflow seems a bit restricted in that quadrant.

Yep.  You can see the southeasterly shear blowing cloud tops toward the NNE in the lower-left part of the AVN loop.

6 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

The big island is barely populated. Maui is populated but most of Hawaii’s population lives on Ohau.

This is kind of an ignorant post.  The big island is the second most populated island, with over 100,000 people.  Though HNL is the most populated island, there is still plenty of population and infrastructure on Maui and the Big Island.  The central and SW coasts of Maui and the western coast of the Big Island are particularly vulnerable.  

20 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It'll be interesting to see how things develop over the next few days. I'm withholding judgment right now, but I just get the sense that in the tropical space, the GFS has been awfully outdone by other guidance in the most critical times in the last few years. Obviously, a good forecaster knows when to blend guidance and lean on what they see in the upper level environment to develop an accurate track forecast, but in these really big moments it seems that the GFS has either been lost or really late to the best solution. 

well the gfs many days ago showed the possibility of lane affecting the islands in a direct way while the euro was following hector track way out to sea...

The axis of stronger wind shear is clearly just west of Lane's core but not advancing or yet encroaching upon the core itself, which is still within a very favorable environment. Barring ongoing consolidation of an outter concentric band forcing an ERC, Lane should hold at least Cat 4 intensity through the next 12 hrs. The CDO is very impressive at the moment.

• Like 1

Hawaii is my favorite place. Been to Oahu, Maui and Kawaii, and all are great in their own ways. Great people, amazing food, incredible scenery and insanely nice hotels. 

Stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Maui, the St. Regis Princeville on Kawaii, and the Halekulani on Oahu in HNL. I actually teared up when i had to leave. 

NOUS42 KNHC 221645
REPRPD
WEATHER RECONNAISSANCE FLIGHTS
CARCAH, NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER, MIAMI, FL.
1245 PM EDT WED 22 AUGUST 2018
SUBJECT: TROPICAL CYCLONE PLAN OF THE DAY (TCPOD)
VALID 23/1100Z TO 24/1100Z AUGUST 2018
TCPOD NUMBER.....18-090

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS
1. NEGATIVE RECONNAISSANCE REQUIREMENTS.
2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY.....NEGATIVE.

II. PACIFIC REQUIREMENTS
1. NEGATIVE RECONNAISSANCE REQUIREMENTS.
2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY.....NEGATIVE.
3. REMARKS:
A. DUE TO THE FORECAST TRACK OF HURRICANE
LANE AND THE LEAD TIME REQUIRED TO EVACUATE
AIRCREW, GROUND CREWS, EQUIPMENT, AND AIRCRAFT,
THE WC-130J MISSIONS SCHEDULED ON YESTERDAY'S
TCPOD 18-089 WILL NOT BE FLOWN.
B. THE G-IV MISSION WILL FLY AS SCHEDULED IN
YESTERDAY'S TCPOD 18-089.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Hawaii is my favorite place. Been to Oahu, Maui and Kawaii, and all are great in their own ways. Great people, amazing food, incredible scenery and insanely nice hotels. 

Stayed at the Ritz Carlton in Maui, the St. Regis Princeville on Kawaii, and the Halekulani on Oahu in HNL. I actually teared up when i had to leave. 

Same here. Hawaii, specifically the north shore of Oahu is the Mecca for surfers. I have been to the same islands but have spent most of my time there on Oahu. I think hands down the biggest threat is flash flooding. As the core will most likely remain to the south and offshore tropical storm force winds out of the same direction as the trades shouldn’t cause to many problems. The wave impacts will be minimal as the islands are routinely impacted by swells from both the north and occasional South Pacific that are far larger then what a hurricane can produce. (Small fetch area reduces swell generation) 

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Wettest Euro run for Ohau so far. Lane slows to a crawl just SW of the island. 

18256483_Screenshot2018-08-22at2_33_14PM.thumb.png.693d3e24a7007ba921710eda77900b56.png

It's likely to be on the low-side of the envelope if/when such a track verifies. I noticed the Euro intensity (SLP) is a bit conservative but I don't have access to the high resolution Euro.

12 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

That is long base range, so not the greatest detail, but the outter banding north of the eyewall doesn't look too organized yet to be choking off the eyewall even if the northern semicircle of the eyewall already has a moat feature.

I think an ewrc is actually a worse case scenerio for Hawaii. If a larger eye developes it could potentially expand the area of hurricane force winds and impact a larger area. Think Ike.

• Like 2

The professor can explain it better than I can lol

The proof is in the pudding. I am still confident this does not make landfall or even closest approach as a hurricane regardless of current intensity. As long as the shear axis remains adjacent to the core, Lane will weaken slowly. But as soon as 40-60 kts of mid-level bulk shear impedes, it will decapitate Lane as rapidly as any storm we have ever observed. This still does not downplay the worst hazard by any means however, as Cat 4 or 5 intensity was always going to have no bearing on the end result, which is clearly high rainfall rates on the volcanic terrain and a severe downslope flooding threat.
  • Thanks 1