Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2018-2019 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

2 hours ago, Jason215 said:

Good call on avoiding the rain. I think snow surface quality trumps terrain. 

I have a shot at a good experience at Jay Peak in a 11 days, but it would be hard to equal what you guys had this past weekend. I’m glad you were able to get some despite your injury. Be careful and heal up!  I have a fondness for Stratton. It was my first big mountain I ever skied . Also skied there during the March 1993 Super Storm Blizzard until the lifts closed at 4PM. That was insane. Took over an hour to drive to the Red Sled motel just down the road and I was driving right behind a snowplow. There was thunder and lightning- the whole 9 yards! 

93 must have been insane there. I think that was their biggest storm ever with 40” or something. The second storm last March was second with 36”. 36” is too much for that mountain though!

F60D2F70-99B6-42D6-8EEF-3D8E3EB1FAF1.jpeg

Skiing at Stowe since 2003 I've never seen the snow anywhere remotely close to this deep on Upper Liftline. That part has been closed for over a month due to clearance issues with the chairlift... but MMSP actually had to remove snow to allow the downhill chairs clearance to move. That is absolutely wild. Foot-rests on the downhill chairs would drag in the snow if the bar was down for any reason. That is so much snow.

You could stand there and just load the chair going downhill right now... that first chair on the left is like 18" above the snow grade.

55554344_10103691506937370_1080425763775

19 minutes ago, Jason215 said:

Looks awesome!

With such an Deep snowpack, what is the anticipated closing date this year? Inquiring minds want to know! 

Regardless of the snowpack, Stowe doesn’t typically deviate much from their planned closing date.  I’ve heard mentioned that the current plan is for Easter Sunday? (April 21st), but PF can confirm the exact plans.

25 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Regardless of the snowpack, Stowe doesn’t typically deviate much from their planned closing date.  I’ve heard mentioned that the current plan is for Easter Sunday? (April 21st), but PF can confirm the exact plans.

Yeah it's the 3rd Sunday in April, just like it's been for a decade.  Last year April 1st was a Sunday so closing was early at April 15th.  This year the 1st is a Monday so closing day is the 21st.

On 3/25/2019 at 4:28 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

93 must have been insane there. I think that was their biggest storm ever with 40” or something. The second storm last March was second with 36”. 36” is too much for that mountain though!

F60D2F70-99B6-42D6-8EEF-3D8E3EB1FAF1.jpeg

Nice! in 1993, I remember Stratton getting 27”. Maybe I’m wrong. But I have that number in my head. (Maybe it was Albany NY that got 27”)  Hunter Mtn Jacked with 48” in that one.  We didn’t ski that Sunday because It was bitterly cold and the upper lifts were on wind hold and they were charging full price tickets. There was a rediculous amount of snow up there in Bondville since they already had a deep snowpack (4 feet or so) prior to the 1993 Blizzard. 

Last March was Epic for Southern VT with about 80” of snow between the 4 NorEasters within a 15 day period. I was fortunate enough to partake of that bounty at Magic, Okemo and Killington. 

On 3/26/2019 at 8:05 PM, snowgeek said:

That looks freaking awesome!!! I gotta get up there someday!

Great place. last time i was there it rained on the way up then next day it was -14 had to staple lift tickets together glue wouldn't work.

• Haha 1

Speaking of deep snow... the last 23" storm of dense snow really took everything to the next level. 

I love how this trail sign for Goat has the arrow pointing diagonally down.  Like, "this is usually where we want you to go, but this year the arrow should be level or pointing up."

*Only closed because it was frozen solid early this morning.  The steeper ungroomed terrain opened up once the snow softened as is the usual spring SOP.

55529961_2227475377320865_52065234669115

41 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Speaking of deep snow... the last 23" storm of dense snow really took everything to the next level. 

I love how this trail sign for Goat has the arrow pointing diagonally down.  Like, "this is usually where we want you to go, but this year the arrow should be level or pointing up."

*Only closed because it was frozen solid early this morning.  The steeper ungroomed terrain opened up once the snow softened as is the usual spring SOP.

55529961_2227475377320865_52065234669115

LOL PF, I was going to take that exact picture when we were out at the mountain on Sunday.  It’s crazy to think that Upper Goat there, which is more typically closed because of coverage of challenging snow, was closed because of too much snow.  It was sort of a shame because it looked really nice.

12 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

LOL PF, I was going to take that exact picture when we were out at the mountain on Sunday.  It’s crazy to think that Upper Goat there, which is more typically closed because of coverage of challenging snow, was closed because of too much snow.  It was sort of a shame because it looked really nice.

I think I heard Ski Patrol was flagging the high snow marks on some trees in order to look at them in the summer.  The Upper Liftline is incredible.  Even if those rocks melt quicker that is one massive drift shaped into the mountain that happens to occupy the Upper Liftline area.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I think I heard Ski Patrol was flagging the high snow marks on some trees in order to look at them in the summer.  The Upper Liftline is incredible.  Even if those rocks melt quicker that is one massive drift shaped into the mountain that happens to occupy the Upper Liftline area.

Oh, sorry, I'd written Goat there, but indeed meant Upper Liftline being closed due to the snow getting so close to the lift as you mentioned in one of your posts.  It's quite the impressive snowpack all around!

Left metrowest a little after 5am this AM. Encountered rain just south of Ossippee on drive up rt. 16 but it was done by Tamworth. Looking up the valley in N. Conway, things looked pretty socked in. Luckily, I had found a comp ticket to Black Mtn. last nite so it was put to use. Word was that it was rainy up at Wildcat -from their website as well as skiers who got up there, turned around and spent the day at Black. Anyway, a few moments of light drizzle, it never warmed up - mid to upper 30s all day, stuck to groomers for majority of day. Black is an old throwback place with some fun terrain with good snow...if it had warmed up there was enough snow to ski some of that terrain but I didn't bother due to firmness. Lot's of AT touring going up all day - broke the code at end of day why, there is a specialty shop in lodge focused on AT equipment. Encountered 5 or so miles of fairly dense fog over the snow pack just north of Wakefield NH. Arrived home to balmy temps with kids riding bikes in short sleeves!  

Some footage of myself from last weekend March 23rd/24th and Magic Mountain and Jay Peak, respectively.

It was interesting to see the difference in snow cover on the exposed rocks along the upper mountain ridge line at Jay.  March 11-13th the ridgeline was completely snow covered with the rocks being covered in rime.  On the 24th, at 830am as one of the first to reach the summit for the day, the exposed rocks were completely dry and it looked as if there was about 6” less snow as the week prior, despite receiving 24” both times. 

Rode for the last last time in PA for the season at Blue Mountain this past Thursday, March 28th. Nothing like riding through brown slush on certain trails, others were actually very nice with a lot of snow on them but the snow was super slow even with relatively fresh warm weather wax.   

On 4/1/2019 at 1:07 AM, ChasingFlakes said:

Some footage of myself from last weekend March 23rd/24th and Magic Mountain and Jay Peak, respectively.

It was interesting to see the difference in snow cover on the exposed rocks along the upper mountain ridge line at Jay.  March 11-13th the ridgeline was completely snow covered with the rocks being covered in rime.  On the 24th, at 830am as one of the first to reach the summit for the day, the exposed rocks were completely dry and it looked as if there was about 6” less snow as the week prior, despite receiving 24” both times. 

Rode for the last last time in PA for the season at Blue Mountain this past Thursday, March 28th. Nothing like riding through brown slush on certain trails, others were actually very nice with a lot of snow on them but the snow was super slow even with relatively fresh warm weather wax.   

Love that first jump you did over that waterfall! 

Just checked in at Jay Peak Stateside. Hoping we get the 3-5inches tomorrow night into Saturday to cover up the hardpack.