• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2018-2019 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

RIP to the skier who died in the collision at Cannon yesterday (no helmet).  Report says other skier suffered serious injuries too but will survive.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/safety/police-identify-skier-who-died-in-cannon-mountain-accident/article_7e092b19-df5a-5f27-87e0-3f322f581d29.html?fbclid=IwAR3urrt8vTsagSxqSsASMUVTL7Kp4cyYUhcQmCJotQ5SibkfgoxbiAn69G0

5c82fe06c4538.image.jpg?resize=750,562

5c82fe06f1e0d.image.jpg?resize=1200,900

30 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Bought tickets for Mount Snow for Wednesday. Should be a bluebird day with firm groomer.

Should be excellent with the dense snow that fell yesterday. Great weekend with something for everyone. Blue bird Saturday with firm groomers and almost a powder day Sunday, just a little too dense to be considered real powder.

27 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

Been snowing hard off and on all day at Jay.  Tram was closed. Hiked up there, rode the face chutes skisrs right of the tram.  It was icy until I got into the tree and scree below the steep exposed section.  Would have rather not taken the whole ridge up and gone down earlier skiers right of the tram.  I think the snow would have held better there.  Solo so didnt mess with the dip or big Jay.  

Hard to tell how much they recieved since last evening but probably another 6-7 on top of yesterdsys ~4".  Made for really fast powder.

Picture: Big Jay from top of tram around 3pm.  Snowing hard again, it had cleared out slightly when I reached the summit of Jay which was nice.  Winds were ripping at 3900'. 

20190311_144624-2419x3225.jpg

Good day at Jay! Still coming down nicely.

On 3/10/2019 at 10:07 PM, powderfreak said:

RIP to the skier who died in the collision at Cannon yesterday (no helmet).  Report says other skier suffered serious injuries too but will survive.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/safety/police-identify-skier-who-died-in-cannon-mountain-accident/article_7e092b19-df5a-5f27-87e0-3f322f581d29.html?fbclid=IwAR3urrt8vTsagSxqSsASMUVTL7Kp4cyYUhcQmCJotQ5SibkfgoxbiAn69G0

Profile's a great run when it's bumped up, but last time I was there a few weeks ago it was groomed, fast and furious. That trail is pretty exposed to the wind, so mix that with Cannon's legendary ice and you got potential for a fallen skier to actually pick up speed. I'm guessing he had to be going at least 25-30 mph. Scary, yeah, I tend to stay away from those trails these days, at least in those conditions. 

Jay was awesome Monday through Wednesday.  Here's a video of myself dropping a 15-20ft icefall into deep powder on Wednesday.  Rode it out nice and clean. The angle its filmed from makes the drop look smaller than it is in reality, but the camera angle really made the landing look sweet!! Truly steep and deep, as this zone collected all the snow, making it about 3ft deep with fresh powder.  

Edit: reuploaded with better quality copy. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Thoughts on this weekend in Vermont? The rain tomorrow looks to be fairly minor and I would think it will not screw things up too much. 

Saturday
Here's the forecast for Whiteface.  If it's only 17 and windy I bet it doesn't soften up too much.....even in the March sun?

Saturday: A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26. Wind chill values as low as -4. Very windy, with a west wind 41 to 50 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Saturday Night
Sat Night: A 50 percent chance of snow showers before 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 4. Wind chill values as low as -21. Very windy, with a west wind 39 to 44 mph. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Sunday
Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 17. Windy, with a west wind 29 to 36 mph.

We love skiing Platty for St. Patrick's Day because they have fun activities for the kids, plus good corned beef and cabbage.

But I'm passing this year.  I think what's left of the snow is going to freeze to a brick overnight tonight.

At best a few snow showers could make it dust on crust.

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It was pretty bad today at Stratton  for anyone that was on the fence and decided not to go. Super icy and I took a good fall on some boiler plate. I assume it was the same situation most places as a friend of mine broke her wrist at Loon. 

It was bad up here too.  The freeze happened at just the wrong time around the time-of-opening.  Nothing the mountain operations teams can do with that region-wide.

Probably my last day nordic skiing today. Between the Weston ski track and Great Brook Ski Center, I got in 50+ days. Majority on the snow making loops at Weston. Now we turn our attention to skiing corn bumps and hopefully an early trip to Tuckerman's. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2019 at 7:44 PM, PowderBeard said:

Hit Greylock/Thunderbolt with the wife and dog today. Definitely has some character and woods are cleared all over. Boot deep fluff still in a lot of places. Never seemed to consolidate or thaw-freeze. Was almost a spring corn harvest on the Thunderbolt given the mid-30s and traffic. Below 2k there was maybe 6-8" of packed base. Up high it was probably 14-18". 

I wonder what's left up there after the r**n and mixed temps recently.

I noticed Wildcat closed some terrain after the rain. Assume it was due to ice. I love skiing Wildcat in the Spring - combination of the views, their liberal open terrain policy, and how they let stuff bump up all over the mountain, it's fun.

18 minutes ago, Angus said:

I noticed Wildcat closed some terrain after the rain. Assume it was due to ice. I love skiing Wildcat in the Spring - combination of the views, their liberal open terrain policy, and how they let stuff bump up all over the mountain, it's fun.

Yeah a few runs are closed, and some others are ungroomed. But most of the mountain is open and groomed. Conditions were much better than yesterday.

1 hour ago, Angus said:

Yeah, after any thaw/freeze you'll usually see steeper ungroomed terrain reduced...this time of year all mountains have plenty of snow so any closures are due to snow surfaces.

Well I did it again (my collarbone is finally healed) This time it’s a broken radious, actually shattered. Have to get surgery so that’s the end of my season at 18 days. Lost control on the ice at Stratton and put my left hand down (luckily right handed). I’ll still get up to Vermont for some hiking. Next season I’ll be sitting out icy days...

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:05 PM, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Hope it works out this time - great mountain, NW aspect for upslope, great winter culture in the Rangeley area would just get better.

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Well I did it again (my collarbone is finally healed) This time it’s a broken radious, actually shattered. Have to get surgery so that’s the end of my season at 18 days. Lost control on the ice at Stratton and put my left hand down (luckily right handed). I’ll still get up to Vermont for some hiking. Next season I’ll be sitting out icy days...

Damn...   Sorry to hear that.

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Uhg, that sucks!   I refuse to ski on ice now that I'm 50, too old for a serious injury hampering my life.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:11 PM, ChasingFlakes said:

Jay was awesome Monday through Wednesday.  Here's a video of myself dropping a 15-20ft icefall into deep powder on Wednesday.  Rode it out nice and clean. The angle its filmed from makes the drop look smaller than it is in reality, but the camera angle really made the landing look sweet!! Truly steep and deep, as this zone collected all the snow, making it about 3ft deep with fresh powder.  

Edit: reuploaded with better quality copy. 

Love it. Go check it in summer without snow and it will look even crazier.  No matter the video or picture, standing on top of big ledges/ice falls never does it justice in terms of the feeling going through you. Looks like the perfect slope landing as well. Pumphouse Chute vicinity?

1 hour ago, PowderBeard said:

Love it. Go check it in summer without snow and it will look even crazier.  No matter the video or picture, standing on top of big ledges/ice falls never does it justice in terms of the feeling going through you. Looks like the perfect slope landing as well. Pumphouse Chute vicinity?

Not sure on the name, right where the access to the shoulder is that has a sign. Is the pumphouse chute the obvious chute straight ahead of that when you climb over the rocks?  If so, it's the next chute skiers right on the spine.  Noone skied it fir 3 days as far as I could tell, you have to hike down to even see the landing and tell that it's not entirely a cliff. I have a video of a buddy tomahawking down the skiers right line in the chute, I'll upload it when I get back from the store.

Here's a satellite screenshot, right below the marker.  

Screenshot_20190319-204531_Maps-1152x2368.thumb.jpg.c83553de137ec1ea155bd8efec69a948.jpg

On 3/16/2019 at 7:16 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It was pretty bad today at Stratton  for anyone that was on the fence and decided not to go. Super icy and I took a good fall on some boiler plate. I assume it was the same situation most places as a friend of mine broke her wrist at Loon. 

Sorry to hear about your friends injury. This was one of the few situations where the poconos had better snow. Was visiting a friend in the Harrisburg PA area. Skied a small fun mountain (only 600ft vertical) called Roundtop. With temps around 45, snow had prime spring conditions. Points north such as Catskills, VT, etc were all ice. No thanks. Did that earlier this year at Killington. I had a rude reminder of how much I dislike skiing on ice.