Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2018-2019 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

On 2/22/2019 at 5:52 PM, amarshall said:

7" overnight at Alta. Dipped into mineral basin at Snowbird today. Bluebird. Other side of the mountain it dumped all day. 7235b43fb3937dd98d18bd9fc6a7ee06.jpg254ab759f0ca06d92a1c6df3205742f0.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That’s so cool how those microclimates work out there. Since Alta-Snowbird are connected- you can ski from Blue Bird into a powder day in a few minutes I’d imagine. Never been to the Cottenwoods, but they are definitely on my bucket list! 

20 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Good skiing conditions at Ski Sundown yesterday despite the rain on Sunday. Really nice groomed granular snow.

Me on Gunbarrel:

IMG952019022695122009.jpg

I’m sometimes surprised at how well some of these resorts are able to make lemonade out of a lemon. Cool shot of you staring down the Gun Barrel. 

Guys, what are your thoughts on Skiing Plattekill Mtn this weekend? They got 10” from Monday storm, another 4” inches yesterday.  I’m thinking it will be Primo- especially if we tack on a few more inches Saturday.

Anyone want to take a stab at what Saturday’s and Sunday’s weather looks like up there at 2,500 ft?

couple of questions...

any possibility of them getting any rain on Saturday or Sunday?

How much do you think they will get from Saturday’s system?

And finally, do I have to worry about driving home to LI in a raging snowstorm after 4PM on Sunday?

Thanks for your thoughts!

On 2/26/2019 at 9:56 PM, Whineminster said:

Lol I bet. AZ the new ski destination.  Isn't place at like 12k feet though? Probably get some good powder days.

I love AZ, in 3 hours you can go from Palm Trees by Pools to powder face shots 

I lived and worked there for the 1986/87 season. The skiing on that mountain is absolutely fantastic when the snow is good! The main lift runs from 9400 to 11,6 and the peak is at 12,3 (20 minute walk) with the bottom of the beginner lift at 9200(?). You can find every type of snow, whatever you want, somewhere in there. There are some of the finest steep north facing, exceptionally wide spaced trees I've ever seen anywhere, a couple of raging steep shots to give you a good buzz, extended above treeline stretches, almost south facing ridgeline high speed groomer, due south facing steep and wide open with rocks and chutes, a couple of kickass volcanic chutes and... Yeah I miss it and need to go back again when the snow is right.

17 hours ago, radarman said:

Berkshire East was outstanding this morning, probably the day of the year so far.  6" new cakeflour, powder was the theme, but some of the finest cord imaginable deserves a shout out too.

20190304_093209(1).thumb.jpg.901c6ec7d0a667cfeb112cc4589cfcad.jpg

Competition is so soft and beautiful on days like that. Miss it man so much

skied at Cannon today. they must have experienced some melt this weekend because there was some ice on the ungroomed terrain. They had 4-6" of fluff fall yesterday which was nice but at times covered up said ice. The profile/cannonball lift did not start when power was restored yesterday so they ran the tram which isn't optimal for someone who spends most of their time on the top 1/2 of mountain. Went over to Mittersill and skied the trail under the chairlift - 'lift line', I think! - 3 or 4 times but it was icey. a good day. a ton of snow.

I'm staying overnight here in Saratoga Springs after skiing at West Mountain this afternoon with my son. I've never skied there before and the mountain does an excellent job of grooming. Very slow chairlifts made for cold lift rides. Great groomed packed powder, but very cold for early March. Temperatures around 20F today for a high. We are skiing at Gore Mountain tomorrow.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I just finished skiing at Gore Mountain with my son. The snow quality was not as good as the conditions at West Mountain. We didn't start the day until 10am as it was 5.8F at 8:00am. Today was supposed to be sunny, but cloud's came in and the wind picked up. 

Where do you get your forecasts? Pretty much a lock with LES that it would be windy and cloudy 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

White to freezing drizzle 

Agreed...I think it'll come through Sunday morning as a burst of snow, changing to sleety snizzle then then just straight drizzle/freezing drizzle.  Net gain to the snowpack, but conditions should be softer on Sunday afternoon.  Could be real good surface conditions (soft snow that pushes back when you turn) if you can stand the visibility issues of low clouds and drizzle from low level moisture.

I won't mind 2-4" and then some sleet and snizzle if it helps the snow adhere. Magic has gotten about 10-12" across in 3-4 events over the past 10 days but it has been straight fluff and has not helped to cover ledges and ice falls on all the advanced/expert terrain. That said, just makes for some fun and technical skiing. 

Just got back to SEPA from a CT work trip early this am.  Going to head to mount snow this evening, meet up with buddies and ride there tomorrow. 

After that smuggs/Jay are on the table for mon/Tues.  Should be a nice trip, not the 3+ feet of blower like last time I was in NNE, 1/8-11, but fresh snow is always nice and those northern mountains always ski so much deeper with the wind.  

Hit Greylock/Thunderbolt with the wife and dog today. Definitely has some character and woods are cleared all over. Boot deep fluff still in a lot of places. Never seemed to consolidate or thaw-freeze. Was almost a spring corn harvest on the Thunderbolt given the mid-30s and traffic. Below 2k there was maybe 6-8" of packed base. Up high it was probably 14-18". 

• Like 2