Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2018-2019 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Unfortunately the icy conditions up here have not been good.  I don't know if I've ever seen it this bad.  The glades are straight pond ice, everything not groomed is extremely dangerous.  Even what most skiers would think of as low-angle is slide for life.

A skier died at Jay Peak yesterday when he lost a ski and then slide on the ice into trees.

https://vtdigger.org/2019/02/11/west-montreal-skier-dies-jay-peak-striking-trees/

Up on Mount Mansfield yesterday, a local hiker (non-ski related) was on the Long Trail with his dog when he lost his footing.  He slid through the woods, striking trees and suffered severe trauma and was airlifted by DART (flying out of Dartmouth-Hitchcock Hospital).  This guy was just walking in the woods and it is literally that icy that even a slip on any incline at all will cause a slide for life through the hardwood forests.

V7Pwblc.jpg

dear god....

Sounds awful.

You think Tuesday storm will even be enough?

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Unfortunately the icy conditions up here have not been good.  I don't know if I've ever seen it this bad.  The glades are straight pond ice, everything not groomed is extremely dangerous.  Even what most skiers would think of as low-angle is slide for life.

A skier died at Jay Peak yesterday when he lost a ski and then slide on the ice into trees.

https://vtdigger.org/2019/02/11/west-montreal-skier-dies-jay-peak-striking-trees/

Up on Mount Mansfield yesterday, a local hiker (non-ski related) was on the Long Trail with his dog when he lost his footing.  He slid through the woods, striking trees and suffered severe trauma and was airlifted by DART (flying out of Dartmouth-Hitchcock Hospital).  This guy was just walking in the woods and it is literally that icy that even a slip on any incline at all will cause a slide for life through the hardwood forests.

V7Pwblc.jpg

Great credit to the grooming crew at Stowe.  With the conditions on all non groomed areas virtually unskiable, I had a great morning skiing groomers with my daughter this morning.  There were definitely icy patches, but plenty to edge into.  We had the benefit of non existent crowds.  It is amazing how the skier traffic accelerates the loss of nice groomed surface.  Yesterday, with larger weekend crowds, things got pretty dicey by 11:00 am.

7 hours ago, powderfreak said:

V7Pwblc.jpg

So sad to hear this awful news.  Makes my heart sink.

9 hours ago, gravitylover said:

My daughter said the Butternut was 'firm' yesterday. 

Jason yeah I sure did have some epic days. I'm so glad I got to do all of that while I was in my 20's. 

Totally jealous man!  

I can’t believe I’m excited about a 2-4 inch snowfall tomorrow. I’ve climbed down from my high horse of snow-snobbery of yesteryear. I’ve been expecting at least a blizzard every year. I’m still expecting one..just because.  

• Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 5:37 PM, Jason215 said:

My group ( except for myself) has either never gone out West or only once. So anything out there compared to east coast would be amazing. 

Revelstoke sounds amazing, but since their base is very very low, I worry about getting Rained on like what happened to me at Whistler. I’ve dealt with enough rain this winter, here on the LI rainforest. I think Kicking Horse is prolly too intense. Mostly double blacks from Summit. (My sweet spot is single and some double blacks, but that is east coast standards. West coast would be more like blues and single blacks. I’ve skied a handful of out west double blacks (Whistler, Big Sky, Jackson Hole) but that was to say I did it, rather than enjoying myself while doing it. 

We’re east coasters who want an out West experience, doesn’t have to be untracked- hellisking-like. A few tourists won’t scare us off. Heck, I’ve skied Vail, but don’t remember any lift lines (must have been a weekday). 

What are your thoughts on LL, SV, Banff Vs Telluride vs Snowbird UT, vs Vail.

also, have you ever hit Big white, Fernie, etc? 

It would be great to take advantage of the favorable exchange rate we got going in Canada.

Sorry for the long ramble! 

How about breckenridge?

High altitude, great snow this year, fun town.  Great variety of terrain.

On 2/12/2019 at 6:44 AM, tnt said:

How about breckenridge?

High altitude, great snow this year, fun town.  Great variety of terrain.

I’ve been to Breckenridge back in Jan of 2013. I was surprised that they didn’t have that much snow. Vail was markedly better.  Breck must of had a snow drought that season.  I also got altitude sickness. Had to get to an oxygen bar twice. If I were to hit that region, I’d rather hit Vail again. Vail was beautiful and the snow was very good. But I’m sure Breck is one of the least likely places to get rain sitting at 9,600ft.  That being said, I would rather try out a new mountain if things line up right. 

Here’s me getting “drunk st an oxygen bar at Breck! 

DCB072FE-BBBA-4C5D-8E24-2B578A319E7E.jpeg

11 hours ago, Jason215 said:

I’ve been to Breckenridge back in Jan of 2013. I was surprised that they didn’t have that much snow. Vail was markedly better.  Breck must of had a snow drought that season.  I also got altitude sickness. Had to get to an oxygen bar twice. If I were to hit that region, I’d rather hit Vail again. Vail was beautiful and the snow was very good. But I’m sure Breck is one of the least likely places to get rain sitting at 9,600ft.  That being said, I would rather try out a new mountain if things line up right. 

Here’s me getting “drunk st an oxygen bar at Breck! 

DCB072FE-BBBA-4C5D-8E24-2B578A319E7E.jpeg

Tahoe area (Squaw, Heavenly, Kirkwood, Alpine Meadows)

2 hours ago, j24vt said:

Tahoe area (Squaw, Heavenly, Kirkwood, Alpine Meadows)

I’ve skied Heavenly, Kirkwood and Sierra-at-Tahoe. Fun times!  I haven’t hit Squaw or Alpine Meadows. I was looking for more cold smoke type snow and a region that I’ve yet to ski. But the Sierras got absolutely pummeled this year-  Something to consider. Thanks! 

11 hours ago, Jason215 said:

I’ve skied Heavenly, Kirkwood and Sierra-at-Tahoe. Fun times!  I haven’t hit Squaw or Alpine Meadows. I was looking for more cold smoke type snow and a region that I’ve yet to ski. But the Sierras got absolutely pummeled this year-  Something to consider. Thanks! 

My ranking of the areas I skied there:

1. Squaw

2. Alpine Meadows

3. Kirkwood

4.  Mt Rose

5.  Heavenly

My best powder day ever was in March at Squaw

On 2/13/2019 at 8:43 AM, amarshall said:

Going to Alta Tuesday  Snow curse continues. 3ft for the weekend. We get there tuesday and the faucet turns off.

One place I gotta go before I shiz the bed. I've been to a lot of places over the years and each one is different in there own way,wouldn't say one was better than the other 

but Jackson hole was nice.

Bretton Woods was very firm Monday and it had some dangerous spots, but sticking close the side of the trail was the go to move. Loon Tuesday was a bit better but only stayed over on the Kancamagus Quad as I was demoing next years equipment for work so I can't speak for the rest of the mountain. Speaking with coworkers who stayed on Wednesday it sounds like things were much better. Hopefully they stay mostly snow up there this storm and can maintain conditions because the pack is deep!

9 hours ago, Redmorninglight said:

Meeting a friend at Whiteface tonight. Long drive but hoping for good conditions. Any reports since the scary glacial posts from the other day? Thanks. 

Whiteface should be nice, they reported 11 inches and with the wind stuff will fill in since the end of the storm had decent ratios.  

Long day for me tomorrow. Driving 2.5 hours to Newark. Flying to Portland, OR. Arriving around 9:30pm. Renting SUV, heading to 24 hr Walmart to buy chains, driving 3-4 hours over the Cascades to Bend (meeting son). Hoping to arrive by 3am. Skiing Bachelor Sun, Mon, Tue. Hitting Timberline Lodge at the end of the trip next Sat. Flat landing it in between.

1 hour ago, snowgeek said:

Long day for me tomorrow. Driving 2.5 hours to Newark. Flying to Portland, OR. Arriving around 9:30pm. Renting SUV, heading to 24 hr Walmart to buy chains, driving 3-4 hours over the Cascades to Bend (meeting son). Hoping to arrive by 3am. Skiing Bachelor Sun, Mon, Tue. Hitting Timberline Lodge at the end of the trip next Sat. Flat landing it in between.

Very cool! I was up at Timberline Lodge last July.  There was still snow on the trail that ended just shy of the lodge. I saw skiers and riders coming down at the end of the day. The Lodge itself is a national landmark, beautiful place. Nice views of Mt. Jefferson to the South. 

Enjoy your trip to Mt Bachelor. 

Very cool! I was up at Timberline Lodge last July.  There was still snow on the trail that ended just shy of the lodge. I saw skiers and riders coming down at the end of the day. The Lodge itself is a national landmark, beautiful place. Nice views of Mt. Jefferson to the South. 
Enjoy your trip to Mt Bachelor. 

Awesome, Thanks!!!

Rode all day from 8:30-3:00. Skipped lunch but had a great time at Whiteface. Surfaces changed from top to bottom as expected but minimal ice and good carving surface for the most part. Did a few runs in the woods but cover was sketchy. Light snow all day top half and drizzle/showers near base. No real accumulations. Trying to get my legs ready for Colorado next week. 

• Like 1