Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2018-2019 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

20 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

First day back out today since the injury. Great conditions but the crowds were unbearable. I thought the cold would have scared people away but no such luck. As packed as it gets. Some super strong winds on the summit which I enjoyed but I’m sure the general public hated! 

Glad you're back out there.  That was a quick recovery!  Good for you!!!!

We took a chance (free passes) and did a rare Sunday morning at Wachusett.  Did 6 quick runs on corduroy, a break, then we were on our next set of runs.

i was behind our daughter on one of their steeper trails. A kid crashed and she made some good moves to avoid him.   I made some moves to avoid her.  Not as good. Hit a nasty patch of ice and did a yard sale. Twisted knee and ankle.  Two cases of skier’s thumb.  Hurting a bit.   

Ah well...  bound to happen someday.

Went up to Jay yesterday. Don’t get me wrong it was freakin cold, but doable with proper gear... Man, what a phenomenal session. Wind holds for the two days prior had left Tramside untouched and everything got blown into the woods. Thigh high fresh tracks ALL DAY, not too crowded at all either. Just a different world up there. DEEP winter intact. I give the day a solid A-

• Like 2

We took a chance (free passes) and did a rare Sunday morning at Wachusett.  Did 6 quick runs on corduroy, a break, then we were on our next set of runs.
i was behind our daughter on one of their steeper trails. A kid crashed and she made some good moves to avoid him.   I made some moves to avoid her.  Not as good. Hit a nasty patch of ice and did a yard sale. Twisted knee and ankle.  Two cases of skier’s thumb.  Hurting a bit.   

Bummer. Hope you recover quickly. Seems to be a lot of injuries this season!

• Like 1

Bromley was sweet today. No lift lines. A little freezing drizzle in the morning was a bit annoying but then it stopped, snow was soft, trees were good and nice bumps. Sun came out around 2:30. Did have to dodge some rocks in the glades. Wish I lived closer to northern VT this year lol.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Ouch Hunchie, heal well my friend 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Oh' yeah, I know every possible non-catastrophic skiers injury. Just be careful and take care of that.  Loosing two weeks is way better than loosing a season!

Skied at Cannon taking advantage of their 2 for 1 SB special. Wow, they have a lot of snow. Whole mountain is open. Spent a good amount of time at Mittersill and front four/five zoomed lift because of clouds and fog at top of mountain. Prior 3 days downhill this season have been with young kids on more gentle terrain, skied hard all day and could really feel it.

16 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Bummer. Hope you recover quickly. Seems to be a lot of injuries this season!

I cannot describe to you how happy I was to be back out. I’m certainly not fully healed though! I took a chance against advice from pretty much everyone I know. But for those that love it as much as I do you do what you have to do. Conditions were primo and I made sure not to fall, which i did not do once all weekend. I also knew that next weekend will be an ice skating rink again. You have to get on it when it’s good and make sacrifices!  

6751D3AC-3239-419A-9ABB-A6A65EE5EAEE.jpeg

• Like 3

On 2/4/2019 at 12:24 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I cannot describe to you how happy I was to be back out. I’m certainly not fully healed though! I took a chance against advice from pretty much everyone I know. But for those that love it as much as I do you do what you have to do. Conditions were primo and I made sure not to fall, which i did not do once all weekend. I also knew that next weekend will be an ice skating rink again. You have to get on it when it’s good and make sacrifices!  

6751D3AC-3239-419A-9ABB-A6A65EE5EAEE.jpeg

Glad you’re back at it!  I agree you gotta strike when the iron is hot! Especially this season with all the cutters, freeze/thaw cycles. Last Feb/March spoiled me with all those back to back Nor’Easters. 

Hey Guys, I’m looking for some advice. Trying to plan a group trip out West with some friends. Between end of Feb to end of March. 

I’m thinking either Telluride Big Sky, Jackson Hole, Banff, Lake Louise/Sunshine Village.

other possible options are Snowbird/ Vail.

I haven’t really been keeping track of snow tallies out West, except I know the Lake Tahoe got absolutely buried. But I’ve already skied there and want to hit something new and I prefer cold smoke. 

Bucket list for me is Canadian Rockies or Telluride, but any of above lisT would work to. Anyone know how these resorts are doing? 

Thanks!

-Jason

On 2/3/2019 at 8:26 AM, cny rider said:

Outstanding day at Plattekill yesterday.

Perfect conditions.  As crowded as I have ever seen it, which meant waiting up to 5 minutes for the lift.  Truly an under appreciated gem.

I’m Jealous!! I love the little secret place. 

It’s the Anti-Resort. 

The snow there holds up very well compared to other mountains. Not enough skier traffic to ski/scrape the snow off. Plus they aren’t open on  weekdays. Glad you took advantage of the great conditions. Unfortunately, I couldn’t make it up there this past weekend.. 

58 minutes ago, Jason215 said:

Hey Guys, I’m looking for some advice.

been to majority of places, how hardcore is the group. i.e. looking to ski hard, challenging terrain or mix it up with night life and that sort of stuff.

1 hour ago, Jason215 said:

Bucket list for me is Canadian Rockies or Telluride, but any of above lisT would work to. Anyone know how these resorts are doing? 

If you're looking for hard skiing and are okay with a more subdued nightlife, for the money you can't go wrong with BC. I've skied Kicking Horse (Golden, BC) and Revelstoke the past two years early-mid March. Kicking Horse is more old school, fewer "tourists" than LL, Banff, SV. Similar to a Cannon or MRG vibe. Revelstoke is more commercialized (trying to be anyway), but skiing is still excellent.

Fly into Calgary, rent a Suburban, and road trip out on the Trans-Canada Rt 1, 2.5 hrs to Golden. AirBnBs are a dime a dozen. If you're into backcountry, Roger's Pass is world class. With the exchange rate you save a fair bit of money, and lift tickets are at least 30% less than anything in the western US.

36 minutes ago, Angus said:

been to majority of places, how hardcore is the group. i.e. looking to ski hard, challenging terrain or mix it up with night life and that sort of stuff.

Good question.

Group is a mix of skier and snowboarders. None of us are that hard core. ( I’m only hard core by LI standards). I get humbled real quick out West. 

The only side- country terrain I’ve skied was “The Dip” at Jay Peak. Never did any backcountry. And I’d be a bit intimidated to ski the Face Chutes at Jay, but I’m sure I could do it. Can prolly do all double diamonds on east coast. Out West, I would need to be careful because I don’t do cliffs and mandatory air!  

We are all about the same ability. 

Night life would be great (a big plus for Telluride) but we’re not going to get hammered every night drooling over ourselves, LOL!  We would probably want at least some night life. 

I’ve skied Jackson Hole, Big Sky, Whistler.  I don’t think lack of expert terrain out West would be an issue no matter where we go.

My main concern is good snowpack and great conditions and No rain issues like what happened to me at Whistler back in 2011 or was it 2010. 

Hey everyone. I actually live down a little further south but I had a general ski question. My sister and I live down in Maryland and we were thinking about going skiing soon. We considered this week but it's going to be 50+ degrees all week so we chose to wait for colder conditions. Next week should be 30s/40s. My question is how bad conditions are to ski when temperatures are above freezing and what would be your cutoff temperature for when you don't think it's worth going?