Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2018-2019 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

13 hours ago, Jason215 said:

Great pics, looking good one t there 

Skiing Belleayre next Saturday. Anyone know how are the Catskills are looking regarding that storm brewing for the weekend? 

I think Sunday would be the day to be there.  Storm should be dumping Saturday night.

Stay overnight!

4 hours ago, Jason215 said:

Thanks! That’s exactly what I’m working on! 

I'm working on the the same question right now.  

Seems like there is some thought it might turn to ice/rain, but I can't really follow the meteorological terminology in the weather threads...

13 minutes ago, tnt said:

I'm working on the the same question right now.  

Seems like there is some thought it might turn to ice/rain, but I can't really follow the meteorological terminology in the weather threads...

I believe all options are still on the table at this juncture, but I think that the Catskills will be spared the ice. Can’t rule out some sleet mixing in. But with 15-20 inches of snow, you’d hardly notice! 

6 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Gonna try to ski Sunday. Powda day. Try out my new fatties. My crazy friend wants to drive Sunday morning. He has a big 4WD. Hope I don’t die trying to get there lol.

Going skiing on Saturday at Belleayre and prolly hit Plattekill on Sunday. Never skied in Fatties before. Sunday should be great for that! I don’t do that well in 2 feet of powder, LOL!   I need to demo a pair one of these days. 

Going skiing on Saturday at Belleayre and prolly hit Plattekill on Sunday. Never skied in Fatties before. Sunday should be great for that! I don’t do that well in 2 feet of powder, LOL!   I need to demo a pair one of these days. 

I struggled at Big Sky last year in 2ft of pow. Decided to get a pair of used ones. Gonna bring them to Bachelor and Timberline in Feb.

20 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

I struggled at Big Sky last year in 2ft of pow. Decided to get a pair of used ones. Gonna bring them to Bachelor and Timberline in Feb.

I skied BigSky/Moonlight back in 2009. It was my favorite western resort. Didn’t have 2 feet of powder though. Buying slightly used skiis is the way to go. I bought my current pair at Stowe’s Demo Center. They were $1200 skiis, got them for $550.. they were only used a few times that season. 

I was at Timberline lodge this past July (I didn’t ski). They were still able to ski just about to the lodge from the Palmer snowfield. 

Are you going to bring both your regular skiis and powder skiis out west? I wonder if it’s problematic to ski on fatties if there’s not much powder? (Although the PAC NW should have tons of snow by Feb.)

Looks like we can only et one day in - Sunday.  Looking at Platty.  Outside shot that we get a 1/2 day in at Bell on the way up...

Any thoughts on when this storm wraps up?  Will need to drive home to NJ Sunday night, and I'm a little concerned about road conditions.

3 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Given the rarity of being able to do it, we will be skinning and skiing in the Holyoke Range this Sun-Mon. Did a lot of work this summer and found some amazing lines with a consistent 400-700 feet of vertical. 

that sounds fun!

I skied BigSky/Moonlight back in 2009. It was my favorite western resort. Didn’t have 2 feet of powder though. Buying slightly used skiis is the way to go. I bought my current pair at Stowe’s Demo Center. They were $1200 skiis, got them for $550.. they were only used a few times that season. 

I was at Timberline lodge this past July (I didn’t ski). They were still able to ski just about to the lodge from the Palmer snowfield. 

Are you going to bring both your regular skiis and powder skiis out west? I wonder if it’s problematic to ski on fatties if there’s not much powder? (Although the PAC NW should have tons of snow by Feb.)

They're K2 Shredinators...112mm underfoot.  People say they work pretty well as an all mountain ski.  Not super fat.

That is un-impressive to say the least. I skied there on the 31st of December and was impressed.

I skied at Ragged yesterday and was very impressed. What I found amusing was the amount of terrain in the woods they had open. I saw a lot of rocks sticking out of the snow from the lifts. I was with my 8 year nephew who is a lower intermediate skier so we did not venture in! I had not been there in 5 years. My son raced there in HS and the management and employees hard work has really paid off. The place was really busy but I don't think we waited more then 5-7 minutes in line.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

lol.  what a jerk.

Wow, what an asshole move. Another reason why it sucks so bad to be an employee...company owners making the huge profits, abuse their employees and suck the life out of everyone for the sake of big profits. Funny thing is, if you treat your employees with respect and offer flexibility so employees can deal with everyday life and not have to worry about losing their job or a paycheck, you create a positive work environment and a productive work environment.

5 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Wow, what an asshole move. Another reason why it sucks so bad to be an employee...company owners making the huge profits, abuse their employees and suck the life out of everyone for the sake of big profits. Funny thing is, if you treat your employees with respect and offer flexibility so employees can deal with everyday life and not have to worry about losing their job or a paycheck, you create a positive work environment and a productive work environment.

Agree. I’ve seen that a lot in the corporate world. However, I’ve also seen managers with less than desirable people skills get laid off. I think the recent trend (at least in my company) has been to have managers who motivate people instead of being condescending and abusive. I believe it’s slowly getting better. 

Skied Belleayre on Saturday. The conditions were pretty good. The last natural snow was about 6 inches 8/9 days ago. But temps were cold and they must have blown snow everywhere for 8/9 days straight. 

Anyone know how far north the freezing rain got? I know Belleayre, Hunter and I believe Plattekill had ZR... wondering if the ZR made it into Mount Snow or Stratton?

6 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Funny thing is my son was expected to be at work during the storm yesterday. If he was going to call out it could not be because of the roads (which turned out to be fine).  

• Like 1

First day at Great Brook Ski Touring Center in Carlisle MA. It was cold with a stiff breeze. They had about 6" of snow with a couple of inches of ice on top...makes for a pretty durable surface. Stayed in woods to avoid wind. 

• Like 1