Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2018-2019 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

8 hours ago, Jason215 said:

I can’t diss on Stratton. That was my first big resort I ever skied. I also skied there on the March 1993 superstorm. I couldn’t believe they ran the Gondi all day until about 4pm without any wind holds. It was nuts, could barely see the trials. Drove to the Red Sled Motel in whiteout conditions- it was scary. 

Have to agree with you on Okemo, great mountain and I prefer that over Stratton.  

Speaking of Magic- hit that last March after the 4 NorEaster’s. They got about 80” within roughly 2 weeks. It was awesome. Lift lines were 20-25 minutes per run since the black chair was having issues and not operating- but there were zero complaints- the snow was that good.

Plattekill Mountain in the Catskills is similar to Magic, though smaller. On the plus side, the longest line I’ve ever seen there was 5 minutes. Usually it’s between 0 and 2 minutes, LOL.

Jason

Magic has Stratton’s old snow bowl lift now which should help allot.

i don’t get his constant dissing on Stratton. If your coming from down south it’s the first decent mountain. And I would rather the high end feel then a bunch of riff raff. There are plenty of hard core snow boarders still here as it used to be the epicenter of snow boarding and where jake burton took snow boarding main stream. Obviously it has nothing on further north but that’s not feasible for me.

today has some super fun soft spring conditions and again I have the place to myself. If you have all gortex it’s fine.

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

i don’t get his constant dissing on Stratton. If your coming from down south it’s the first decent mountain. And I would rather the high end feel then a bunch of riff raff. There are plenty of hard core snow boarders still here as it used to be the epicenter of snow boarding and where jake burton took snow boarding main stream. Obviously it has nothing on further north but that’s not feasible for me.

today has some super fun soft spring conditions and again I have the place to myself. If you have all gortex it’s fine.

Isn’t Mt.Snow closer?

I had a great time at Stratton when I went in early Dec. Nice mountain with lots of variety. Seemed well organized and the crowd seemed like a normal ski crowd to me. Only about$50 on ski club days this season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, cny rider said:

When there is good natural snow Plattekill rules.

Absolutely our favorite local mountain but only if it has been snowing.

It really does. Last year was great at Platty! I love the small anti-resort feel of the place. You really feel far from civilization there. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy big resorts too, but there’s something special about old school/ mom and pop. 

4 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Good to know Magic now has the old Snowbowl lift.

Yes I agree Stratton is the first decent mountain coming up from the south, though some would argue Mount Snow is a tad closer, but I definitely prefer Stratton over Mount Snow.  

Stratton has deep roots in snowboard boots for sure! My buddy bought one of his boards at the shoppe in the village. The slope side village is another plus Stratton has which is unique to New England. 

Living in Long Island is not a convenient place when trying to get to Mtns. 

Skiing/snowboarding is a very expensive sport, so you’ll run into the high end folks most resorts anyway. They don’t bother me at all. Speaking of  riff raff- you get that at Mountain Creek and some of the Poconos. Went to Blue Moutain last year and one of my buddies snowboards was stolen. We prayed and asked God to find it and within a couple hours, mountain security overheard the guy bragging about stealing a snowboard. We got the snowboard back!!  Unfortunately that’s the type of clientele you have at the resorts with proximity to NYC. You need to lock up all your gear. No cubbies!

Glad you’re enjoying it out there today!

Tenney Mtn opened today.  I really don't understand what they are doing.  No working webpage really, just facebook.  No condition reports.  Just sent out a message on FB that they opened.  Seems like a stupid way to open a Mtn.  They don't have any snowmaking so that is tough in this climate, especially being just south of the Whites.  I wish them luck.

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Tenney Mtn opened today.  I really don't understand what they are doing.  No working webpage really, just facebook.  No condition reports.  Just sent out a message on FB that they opened.  Seems like a stupid way to open a Mtn.  They don't have any snowmaking so that is tough in this climate, especially being just south of the Whites.  I wish them luck.

They have some snow making. From what I gather, Tenney is just a small piece of a much bigger project. Mike Bouchard used to be more open about it on FB, but got scammed and then there was a legal battle. The restaurant is open and they have live entertainment. Im not sure where his funding comes from, but it may be related to when he was an engineer/rocket scientist working on gvt contracts. He is a pretty interesting dude. Def the type you want to sit and have a beer with and pick his brain.

14 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

They have some snow making. From what I gather, Tenney is just a small piece of a much bigger project. Mike Bouchard used to be more open about it on FB, but got scammed and then there was a legal battle. The restaurant is open and they have live entertainment. Im not sure where his funding comes from, but it may be related to when he was an engineer/rocket scientist working on gvt contracts. He is a pretty interesting dude. Def the type you want to sit and have a beer with and pick his brain.

Thanks NoPoles.  I knew some of that.   They did post a few pics of snow guns at the bottom.  They lost all of Dec when we had 30" of snow in the area and then lost Christmas ski week.  I would have thought this would have been planned out since they got the lifts going right at the end of last ski season.

17 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Well an inch of fresh snow over glare ice is a nightmare. Took the worst fall I have ever had by far and smashed my right side. Snapped my collar bone in half. Luckily it wasn’t worse but I’m out for 6-8 weeks...

Ouch. That sucks. I took a big fall like that off my front porch stairs a few weeks ago. Luckily I didn’t break anything but I was sore for several days. 

5 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Well an inch of fresh snow over glare ice is a nightmare. Took the worst fall I have ever had by far and smashed my right side. Snapped my collar bone in half. Luckily it wasn’t worse but I’m out for 6-8 weeks...

Sorry to hear man. I agree about fresh snow hiding ice. Since I switched from skiing to boarding, I avoid ice like the plague. Heal fast. 

I chaperoned our school’s first ski trip to the Poconos today. 50 kids! Thankful it never dipped below freezing last night. Spring snow all day. 

That stinks! So sorry man. Heal quick! Gonna take a lot of snow to cover up this boiler plate.

18 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Thanks NoPoles.  I knew some of that.   They did post a few pics of snow guns at the bottom.  They lost all of Dec when we had 30" of snow in the area and then lost Christmas ski week.  I would have thought this would have been planned out since they got the lifts going right at the end of last ski season.

Yes, it is bizzaro-world with them. $75 tickets or a $389 season pass lol

The website will also give you motion sickness on some pages.  https://www.skitenney.com/

15 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

So sorry to hear you got injured. I hope and pray you have a speedy recovery bro.

18 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Sorry to hear that and best wishes for a speedy recovery. I dislocated my shoulder at Mount Snow in April of 2017. Luckily it happened at the end of the ski season.

23 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

That sucks, same thing with one of my cousins last week at Killington, snapped her clavicle on the ice pack.  Good luck!

On 1/6/2019 at 4:38 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Sorry.  You’ll be back before the end of the season.

They have been doing this since last season and ran the cat earlier this season. I've heard it is a fun thing to do once or twice. I think they spent so much time cutting and trimming over on Burnt Mountain and most folks don't have the equipment, time or gumption to climb and traverse very far from the King Pine entrance that they did this get more people in there. It's pretty good marketing - Sugarloaf can claim only lift served above treeline/snowfield and cat skiing in East. Of course, both claims require an asterisk! Here is a video that Sugarloaf produced introducing cat skiing - its mostly a 'how to plan' piece. 

https://vimeo.com/260046505

The skiing in Northern VT wasn't too shabby this weekend.

Quick sidecountry lap off the Sunny Spruce Quad at Stowe.  The options are endless when the snowpack and snow quality are this good.  That glacial base from the Christmas rain events followed by a 20-30" storm cycle makes for good skiing. 

Winds packed the snow out a bit and you can tell it was a few days after the storm as the snow had settled out, and skied exactly like the cold, settled storm snow you find out in the Rockies. 

49998712_10103632726888060_9043662977328

• Like 1