• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2018-2019 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

From a friend and lurker here @vtski I believe... 

Stowe mid-elevation hardwoods.  The amount of snow and deep winter vibe for this early in the season is not something I have seen in my decade living in Stowe.

I mean honestly could be January.  Lets put it this way, Nov 2018 is already better than the entire 2015-16 winter season.

IMG_1348.thumb.JPG.8153020bdfc0ee47b37a9fd5d06bc49a.JPG

What an absolutely epic weekend at Stratton! Like others have said it’s deep deep winter in the mountains. Saturday was almost a bluebird day with amazing conditions. And even Sunday was great as any overnight rain had ended and snow loss was pretty much zero. The best part was I had the place to myself with walk on Gondi rides both days. First time in the woods and many lines dropped!

The new snow bowl lift construction has half the mountain closed until completion though which is a bummer.

let the good times continue this week!!

DD2CD255-62EF-47E7-921E-F8AE59A68A32.jpeg

I don't post here much anymore as I'm no longer in college and don't make it back to Mass as much... But looks awesome! Very jealous... 

I'm planning a January/February ski trip (also hoping to ski a day or two around Xmas in NE). Probably going to ski four days.. Looking at interior BC... I've skied Fernie and Kicking Horse before and enjoyed both immensely. However, for this trip I'm looking at the powder highway (Whitewater and Red) and then the areas further north closer to Kelowna (Apex, Silverstar, Big White, Sun Peaks, etc)? Any thoughts on pros/cons between the two? 

On 11/26/2018 at 11:27 AM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

What an absolutely epic weekend at Stratton! Like others have said it’s deep deep winter in the mountains. Saturday was almost a bluebird day with amazing conditions. And even Sunday was great as any overnight rain had ended and snow loss was pretty much zero. The best part was I had the place to myself with walk on Gondi rides both days. First time in the woods and many lines dropped!

The new snow bowl lift construction has half the mountain closed until completion though which is a bummer.

let the good times continue this week!!

DD2CD255-62EF-47E7-921E-F8AE59A68A32.jpeg

Looks good! I hit Kmart on Saturday. Conditions were great for November. Didn’t ski Sunday as it was raining and socked in fog through late morning.  

After this latest Dump, this season is off to an epic start. 

Jason

A+ day at Sugarbush today, never made it over to Castlerock (bootpacking/skating are both not great for my bad knees and we were having too much fun on the lift-served stuff) but the rest didn't disappoint.
IMG-2744.jpg

Tons of pow on Lixi's Twist

IMG-2746.jpg

Entering the white room on Heavens Gate - later in the afternoon when the winds picked up it was pure whiteout on the chair, couldn't see the next tower ahead of you.

IMG-2759.jpg

Nat taking a break on Paradise

IMG-2765.jpg

More Paradise (I think?)

IMG-2785.jpg

Me on Stein's

IMG-2787.jpg

Don't remember what this one was, maybe Stein's again? We lapped it because it was so good the first time.

The pics from the trees are all on my friend's phone since my old iPhone hates the cold, but you can imagine what you think they'd look like and you were right. Plenty of 2-3' untracked pillows of snow in the trees all day. Back at it at SR on Saturday but everywhere should still be incredible. Go go go!

On 11/27/2018 at 6:26 PM, bch2014 said:

I don't post here much anymore as I'm no longer in college and don't make it back to Mass as much... But looks awesome! Very jealous... 

I'm planning a January/February ski trip (also hoping to ski a day or two around Xmas in NE). Probably going to ski four days.. Looking at interior BC... I've skied Fernie and Kicking Horse before and enjoyed both immensely. However, for this trip I'm looking at the powder highway (Whitewater and Red) and then the areas further north closer to Kelowna (Apex, Silverstar, Big White, Sun Peaks, etc)? Any thoughts on pros/cons between the two? 

I’ve skied whitewater extensively and red once last year.  The former is like mrg.  Great terrain, minimal infrastructure.  Steep  nicely spaced trees.  Also, it gets significantly more snow than red on average despite their proximity.  Red is more of a resort.  More lifts, more groomers, but also some great terrain.

nelson is an awesome city.  

Pm me if u have any questions.

Went to Gore last weekend and used a free ticket.  It was pretty good.  Some glades were open and were nice.  Lots of trails up top were open with natural snow, but coverage was iffy in spots.  Rocks here and there.  Cruisers were in good shape.  Was deciding between Bromley, Stratton and Magic tomorrow.  Going by myself so trying to shorten my drive from Albany.  Bromley is $44 if you buy online and looks to be fully open!  They report 53" for the season.  Magic looks to have everything open and would be $61.  They report 43" for the season.  Tomorrow is a ski club discount day at Stratton so it would be $47 for me.  They report only 39" for the season.  14" less than Bromley which is just a few miles down the road?    I've been to Magic and Bromley a lot lately, but haven't skied Stratton since the 80's lol.  I thought it might be a good time to check it out since it's cheap tomorrow and hopefully the winter crowds aren't there yet?  They seem to be like 1/2 open but conditions look pretty epic and they have glades open.  Any thoughts would be appreciated......and if anyone wants to meet up, LMK.  First world dilemma lol.  

1 hour ago, snowgeek said:

Went to Gore last weekend and used a free ticket.  It was pretty good.  Some glades were open and were nice.  Lots of trails up top were open with natural snow, but coverage was iffy in spots.  Rocks here and there.  Cruisers were in good shape.  Was deciding between Bromley, Stratton and Magic tomorrow.  Going by myself so trying to shorten my drive from Albany.  Bromley is $44 if you buy online and looks to be fully open!  They report 53" for the season.  Magic looks to have everything open and would be $61.  They report 43" for the season.  Tomorrow is a ski club discount day at Stratton so it would be $47 for me.  They report only 39" for the season.  14" less than Bromley which is just a few miles down the road?    I've been to Magic and Bromley a lot lately, but haven't skied Stratton since the 80's lol.  I thought it might be a good time to check it out since it's cheap tomorrow and hopefully the winter crowds aren't there yet?  They seem to be like 1/2 open but conditions look pretty epic and they have glades open.  Any thoughts would be appreciated......and if anyone wants to meet up, LMK.  First world dilemma lol.  

If you haven’t skied Stratton in that long, go with them. For $47, you can’t beat it. And even though they are only half open, it’s a big mountain and would have many options for you.  I wouldn’t think the crowds would be that bad this early in the season. If I didn’t have prior commitments this weekend, I’d take you up on your offer. 

BTW, Jay Peak is now 100% open as well. 

Let’s hope we can quickly recover from this Sunday’s rain storm. I’m hoping it would just add to the density of the snow pack rather than melt much of it. 

-Jason 

20 minutes ago, Jason215 said:

If you haven’t skied Stratton in that long, go with them. For $47, you can’t beat it. And even though they are only half open, it’s a big mountain and would have many options for you.  I wouldn’t think the crowds would be that bad this early in the season. If I didn’t have prior commitments this weekend, I’d take you up on your offer. 

BTW, Jay Peak is now 100% open as well. 

Let’s hope we can quickly recover from this Sunday’s rain storm. I’m hoping it would just add to the density of the snow pack rather than melt much of it. 

-Jason 

Cool.  Thanks for the advice.  I think the rain will just at to the density of the pack.....especially with the ice at the start.  Doesn't look like a ton of rain.  Probably some good compaction though.

6 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Cool.  Thanks for the advice.  I think the rain will just at to the density of the pack.....especially with the ice at the start.  Doesn't look like a ton of rain.  Probably some good compaction though.

Sweet, I’ll be at Stratton all weekend. 

The reason they are reporting less snow then bromely is they only started recording it last week. I promise you they have had more snow then bromley which is much lower in elevation. Let me know if you have any questions I know the place like the back of my hand. Feel free to say hello. I’ll post a pic of myself 

39 minutes ago, Modfan said:

Looking for recommendations fot taking my 8yrold skiing the for thr first time in Feb when we come up for a family visit. I was thinking Ward Hill because we will be staying in NE CT; I was thinking WAWA would be to crowded; not opposed to western MA areas

Mid-week at WaWa is fine as long as your visit does not coincide with February vacation or a weekend. I've never skied there but Butternut Ski area out in Great Barrington has always intrigued me.