Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2018-2019 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

4 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

The only thing i could find was from the end of June. Once Majella was charged with fraud, the nonprofit strepped back into the game of trying to acquire saddleback

My understanding is that the nonprofit was not able to come up with enough funds to purchase  Saddleback. Supposedly an interested party tryed to buy the area this summer. They wanted a tax break and where not able to get it.

• 2 weeks later...

Loveland is usually the first to open, followed by A-Basin, in mid to late October. 

If nothing is open, you might try using a car as the "lift".  When I lived in Steamboat, before the mountain opened for the season, we used to drive up one of the local mountain passes as far as we could, and ski down to where the snow ran out, leaving one person to drive for each run.  Might be able to do that on Rt. 6 (Loveland Pass road) between Loveland and A-Basin, if both ski areas aren't open.  

• Like 1

Big Sky is trying like heck to finish construction of their Ram Charger 8- largest capacity lift in NA, and first of its kind...they finished installing the towers. But the first big winter storm is moving in. They usually dont open until Thanksgiving, but they are quickly running out of time. My buddy works as a lift electrician for the private Yellowston Club. He told me the Ramcharger 8 is behind schedule.

On 10/6/2018 at 7:17 PM, HoarfrostHubb said:

Sugarloaf was blowing the mice out this morning.  Testing out their snowmaking pumps etc

The wife has been talking about getting back there for the past 4 years and now she finally has an A/T set up to have fun in the basin area.  Going to have to suck it up and make the drive up there this winter.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I'm very confidant that there will be skiing in Vermont/Maine within the next week. Killington and Sunday River being the two places likely to make snow going forward.

Yes. I think K starts early Thursday morning and opens Friday. Looks like SR could start Tues-Weds.

Wolf Creek - Colorado - will open this week on natural snow. Skied two days there a few years back. It is a non-resort - essentially the area runs for about a mile plus along a ridge on the continental divide. Leads Colorado in terms of snowfall most years. Great terrain, essentially tree skiing throughout the entire area.

Wolf Creek always seems to do well in late fall/early winter.

As for K-Mart making snow. They probably will, but I wonder if they'd do better with dry air as opposed to saturated at 27-30F. Scott would probably be able to answer that.

But one thing about K-Mart, if given even a small window, they can lay down a ribbon in no time. I think FIS returns tour there in a month!

44 minutes ago, MountainMet said:

I saw a bunch of folks on skis at Stowe testing out the 1" of snow the other day.

This community is nuts for sliding on snow.  There will be someone out there after a heavy frost.

Local Aaron Rice...

43951963_3946825349039_92446897290713497

There were also some Cross Country skiers up there...

44052141_10217060412360009_4332870098919

• Like 1