Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2018-2019 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

The latest from Magic Mountain regarding lift installation this summer:

On the large project front, Pfister Mountain Services is making good progress on the new Green Lift with upper bull-wheel installation slated for this coming week, and haul cable soon to follow! The lift installation is currently on track to be completed this month.
The latest timing on permitting approvals for the snowmaking pond expansion and the Black Line Quad puts initiation of work most likely around September 1 if approved. This should be enough time for the pond work to get done this year. The Quad chair installation by winter is a much less certain proposition at that point. Our lift contractor is currently assessing the situation but we will be prepared with two scenarios: 1) Initiation and completion of the Quad install for this winter if timing allows, which would include tear down of the current Black Chair; 2) Initiation of Quad install this fall and completion next summer, which would include retaining the current Black Chair for use this winter. We will keep you posted as always as plans and permitting are finalized.…

The first half of March 2018 was unreal.  Powder day after powder day.  I skied steep tree chutes that dropped like slow elevators.  We had one afternoon from 2-4pm where it snowed so hard that every run our tracks were completely covered while skiing in the thick woods.  I’ve only seen conditions that good once or twice even though I’ve skied 50-100 days a year for the past 30 years.  

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:32 PM, powderfreak said:

I have been having flashbacks recently and looking over recent winter shots... this was a stretch from late January to mid February 2017.  105" in 22 days at the High Road and this photo is from somewhere in the middle of it.

38790763_10103492684374380_8985247543747

Nice PF, we always love it when you revisit these awesome stretches of snowfall with your Mansfield snowfall numbers and images.  I checked my data for that 22-day stretch and it looks like we picked up just about 55” at our place, so right around 50% of the upper mountain snowfall as usual.

I think timing of the biggest days during that period had me skiing solo, so I couldn’t get the boys in any of those deliciously deep shots that we love, but I still grabbed a few fun images from that stretch in the Northern Greens:

28JAN17C.jpg

29JAN17A.jpg

04FEB17A.jpg

04FEB17B.jpg

12FEB17F.jpg

13FEB17B.jpg

• Like 1

Looking to pick up some new skis this fall. My current skis are basically GS skis (185's (115-68-99) which are fine for anything less than say 6" of snow, but now that I'm getting in about 40 days/year, and the ability to hit most powder days I'm looking for something wider.

So do I get something wide like a Blizzard Rustler (142-114-132) just for powder days, or something like a Bonafide / Enforcer as an everyday ski?

On 8/13/2018 at 6:27 PM, MarkO said:

Looking to pick up some new skis this fall. My current skis are basically GS skis (185's (115-68-99) which are fine for anything less than say 6" of snow, but now that I'm getting in about 40 days/year, and the ability to hit most powder days I'm looking for something wider.

So do I get something wide like a Blizzard Rustler (142-114-132) just for powder days, or something like a Bonafide / Enforcer as an everyday ski?

The Blizzard Rustler comes in 3 different widths, denominated the Rustler 9-, 10 and 11.  The 11 is 112 under foot for most lengths, 114 on the longest, I believe the 188 and 192.  The rustler 10 is 102 under foot.  I demo'd the 10 last season and loved it.  I've been riding a line SFB which is 108 so I'm in the market for the rustler 11.  thinking that I was fine with the 108 as my daily quiver even on hard pack groomers, and the wider width gives me the versatility for use in powder here and also out west.  So I would probably recommend the Rustler 10 especially if youre coming from such a narrow ski.

32 minutes ago, Angus said:

Hitman - do you ski bumps with a 108? And how do they perform on spring snow?

I've demoed a couple of fat skis and they seemed fun but definitely skied differently IIRC.

I'm definitely not a "bump skier" although I do ski them with the 108s.  While they are certainly not the best tool for the job, they are adequate for my purposes.  My issue skiing bumps is that I have a tendency to sit back, such that when I am properly balanced and in a rhythm, I'm fine, even with the 108's.  point is, its me not the width of the skis.  What I really enjoy is powder and off piste so the mid fats are definitely better for that.

25 minutes ago, Professional Lurker said:

I'll be living vicariously through you all this upcoming season.  I'm out.  Taking a year off of skiing but will be back at it next year.  Surgury for my torn right ACL going to happen shortly after the first of the year.  :(

Dang that sucks.  Did you re-injure it?

On 8/19/2018 at 10:31 AM, PowderBeard said:

So ready...

Image may contain: one or more people, tree, snow, outdoor and nature

Nothing wrong with a wide ski for everyday (I do like going mid 90s when it is super hard pack). I run homemade skis that are 110 underfoot for my every day skis .  IMO its all about the rocker and camber in bumps and not so much size.

Nice one.  Magic?

3 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Nice.  They already did a great job with it.   

Yeah they already have really good snowmaking, so they are pretty committed to staying around the top of the line in that category. 

I find it amazing even compared to when I first started skiing in the early 1990s. Those winters were absolutely putrid and I remember it being totally normal to go up to Killington and sugarbush and you see so many trails with brown grass showing and 60% of the mountain being open in February wasn't that abnormal. I feel like now you would never see that with those big snowmaking mountains even in terrible winters. 

Dammit, I was hoping the Balsams would be a go.

Also this summer, the CEO of the Australian investor Group- Majella, that bought Saddleback in ME, was arrested for investor fraud. So...the ressurection of Saddleback is teetering on the edge of destruction...however, the non-profit group that was founded with the intention of trying to buy Saddleback, is now back in the game....fingers crossed, such a great place to ski!

22 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Dammit, I was hoping the Balsams would be a go.

Also this summer, the CEO of the Australian investor Group- Majella, that bought Saddleback in ME, was arrested for investor fraud. So...the ressurection of Saddleback is teetering on the edge of destruction...however, the non-profit group that was founded with the intention of trying to buy Saddleback, is now back in the game....fingers crossed, such a great place to ski!

Do you know of any additional information about the non-profit I have not heard of?