• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2018 Observations

yotaman

Sultry out today. Currently 93/81 for a heat index of 113. Yesterday I drove into one the heaviest storms I have ever driven into. Rain and small hail coming down so hard I was only able to do 20 mph and I still had a hard time seeing the road. Very impressive storm, it missed my house by just a few miles.

Here we go again with the afternoon rain train.  If this is what is normal in florida you can forget it.  House took a direct hit around 10:30 last night thru the phone lines.  My alarm system smelled like it spent the night in a campfire.

My dog bowl on the back deck is now my rain gauge.  It shows "full".

Nothing here from tonight's storms so far, but even though this is down the county a little ways, it's still too close for comfort.

At 7:47 PM EDT, 2 NE Four Oaks [Johnston Co, NC] EMERGENCY MNGR reports TSTM WND DMG. 13 HOMES WITH TREES ON THEM, 3 SIGNIFICANTLY DAMAGED. A HOME ALSO HAD WINDOWS BLOWN OUT.

8 hours ago, Powerball said:

Made it to 91*F today with mainly sunny skies all day, but after sundown, storms popped up overhead from the outflow boundary. Getting some intense rains and gusty winds with them.

Radar estimates an inch has fallen in the past half hour.

In total, picked up an estimated 2" in one hour.

There were several very close lightning strikes and oud cracks of thunder too.

Now it's time to rinse, wash and repeat today! :)

9 hours ago, Powerball said:

In total, picked up an estimated 2" in one hour.

There were several very close lightning strikes and oud cracks of thunder too.

Now it's time to rinse, wash and repeat today! :)

More storms developed early today (1:30pm). It did put a cap on highs, only reaching an intra-hour high of 88°F.

I love how FFC basically copied the midday update from yesterday and used it for today...:lol:

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=FFC&issuedby=FFC&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

FXUS62 KFFC 101605
AFDFFC

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Peachtree City GA
1205 PM EDT Fri Aug 10 2018

.UPDATE...

Forecast remains largely on track through morning. Hot and humid
conditions are expected once again with heat indices nearing 100
in the southern part of the region this afternoon. There is
currently no convective activity in the area, but more active
weather is still anticipated this afternoon as a shortwave moves
across the Tennessee valley. This shortwave will allow for the
organization of showers and thunderstorms in the late afternoon
and early evening, with some strong to severe storms possible
within the system. The primary threat with any severe storms that
occur appears to be gusty winds. Given the deep moisture in place
over the area, strong storms could produce locally heavy rainfall
and lead to some isolated flooding concerns.

This is a really cool picture from Surfside Beach, SC, retweeted by James Spann. When I was on vacation at Surfside, I always wondered what happens when lightning strikes the water. Does the water light up? I never found out. And this picture doesn't answer that question. I would suppose that if you are so close to a lightning strike to be able to easily see lightning hitting the water you should have gotten inside!

Hj45C6X.jpg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chinook said:

This is a really cool picture from Surfside Beach, SC, retweeted by James Spann. When I was on vacation at Surfside, I always wondered what happens when lightning strikes the water. Does the water light up? I never found out. And this picture doesn't answer that question. I would suppose that if you are so close to a lightning strike to be able to easily see lightning hitting the water you should have gotten inside!

Hj45C6X.jpg

Here is a slow motion video of lightning hitting the water. 

That is neat to see the fading light energy in the air in that video. I doubt the water makes light when lightning strikes. I assume the sodium and chlorine ions have to move a lot in order to conduct the 10000 Amps of electric current, but creating light probably isn't a part of that. Thankfully, I was never 10 yards away from a lightning strike at Surfside, because standing on a beach in a lightning storm can kill you.

4 hours ago, Chinook said:

Hj45C6X.jpg

There are many many nights that I can look to my east and see the storms 100 miles east of me off the coast and watch the tops light up like this pic has....they look close but I know everytime I pull the radar up they will be off the OBX.....lightning doesnt light up water really anything you see is just light reflecting off the surface...a few good vids of lightning hitting water

Can't believe (well, yes, I can) that yet ANOTHER cluster of strong storms washed out 5 miles from the house just now. Heard thunder for an hour, watched the storms coming, then...poof, leaving some residual sprinkles that evaporate on landing.

1 hour ago, Solak said:

Can't believe (well, yes, I can) that yet ANOTHER cluster of strong storms washed out 5 miles from the house just now. Heard thunder for an hour, watched the storms coming, then...poof, leaving some residual sprinkles that evaporate on landing.

That's about what happened to us today too. .08" is all we could muster with some areas to my south and west getting well over 1".