NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
   0215 PM CDT Wed Aug 01 2018

Areas affected...Portions of eastern WV...MD...northern VA...and
   central/eastern PA

Concerning...Severe potential...Watch possible 

Valid 011915Z - 012145Z

Probability of Watch Issuance...40 percent

SUMMARY...An increase in thunderstorm coverage is expected through
   the afternoon, with some risk for strong to locally damaging winds.
   Watch issuance is possible depending on convective trends.

DISCUSSION...Visible satellite imagery has shown gradual clearing
   across parts of the Mid-Atlantic this afternoon downstream of a
   large-scale upper trough centered over the MS Valley. A very moist
   low-level airmass is present across this region per 12Z area
   soundings and recent surface observations. With continued diurnal
   heating through the remainder of the afternoon, surface temperatures
   will generally warm into the mid/upper 80s, with MLCAPE of 500-1500
   J/kg likely. Strengthening flow at mid-levels will support effective
   bulk shear of 40-50 kt, although the main contribution to these
   shear values will come from increasing wind speeds with height
   rather than directional turning. One or more bowing line segments
   may eventually develop off the higher terrain of eastern WV/northern
   VA/western MD and move into parts of central/eastern PA by early
   this evening. If this were to occur, then a relatively greater
   potential for strong to damaging winds may be realized. However,
   poor mid-level lapse rates (around 5.5-6.0 C/km) will likely limit
   updraft strength, and the overall coverage of strong to severe
   thunderstorms remains in question.

..Gleason/Grams.. 08/01/2018

...Please see www.spc.noaa.gov for graphic product...

ATTN...WFO...PHI...BGM...CTP...LWX...RNK...PBZ...RLX...
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Got home and found  .70" on the Vp2 from this afternoon.  No rain in Middle river where I was working..humid enough for sure though .

Yeah its super humid out there. Unlike last night, not expecting any t-storms here tonight.

That big western Atlantic High will keep most or all the action west of I-95, and maybe well west. Even though CAPE is pretty darn high, and PWATS are in the neighborhood of 2", there is just no real trigger. Looks like any shortwaves will stay far enough west and track north into PA for the near term. That blocking high is a bully. You have a pretty decent shot at a t-storm in your area tonight though.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah its super humid out there. Unlike last night, not expecting any t-storms here tonight.

That big western Atlantic High will keep most or all the action west of I-95, and maybe well west. Even though CAPE is pretty darn high, and PWATS are in the neighborhood of 2", there is just no real trigger. Looks like any shortwaves will stay far enough west and track north into PA for the near term. That blocking high is a bully. You have a pretty decent shot at a t-storm in your area tonight though.

Judging by the returns coming up from southern va that has been filling in nicely it looks to me as though the same areas that were hit hard last night just west of 95 may get in the action again later tonight. 

43 minutes ago, jewell2188 said:

Judging by the returns coming up from southern va that has been filling in nicely it looks to me as though the same areas that were hit hard last night just west of 95 may get in the action again later tonight. 

I think the game tonight hinges on the action that formed over the western ridges, and if that can actually hold together as it moves east. As moist and unstable as it has been this afternoon, you would think it has a chance. But then again the forcing was mostly terrain based, and we are losing the daytime heating, so if that line weakens it might take a vorticity max moving through to get any new development tonight. The track of any shortwave(s) will be on the western periphery of the W Atlantic high though, which probably again favors areas to the N and W of I-95. Right along and just west of I-95, maybe, but less likely than places further west.

the downpour last night was wild.  woke me up at 2am and it lasted at least 30 minutes.  just kept teeming.  legitimate stuff, but went largely unnoticed due to the timing.  some of the nearby rain gauges are showing 1.5-2" of rain today and that seems believable based off of what i saw.

Dale City is now completely out of the woods for the next two weeks.

The National Weather Service will be scrambling to catch up!

We are high and dry tonight.

Tomorrow will be partly cloudy with torrential rain well to the west. Western Virginia will see million year rains thru Thursday night with record flooding, but Dale City will be completely spared.

In short, Dale City will dry out completely by Aug 16 and will likely be dry thru the entire month.

Western Virginia will however be a completely different story. The flooding will be horrific and it will be in the news for days and days and days. Communities all along I 95 will watch in horror as the National Guard comes out to rescue millions of ppl caught in record flooding all along I 81. Forecasters will wonder at the demarcation line between incredibly record million year rains well west of I 95, and  Biblical rains all up and down I 81 thru the next five days at least. In stark contrast, I 95 will remain mostly dry, with peeks of sunshine and highs in the lower 90s, beginning Aug 2.

Get out of the I 81 Corridor while you still can!

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Picked up a whopping .5" yesterday evening over a 20 minute stretch.  Not a drop overnight.

This stretch of I-81 is safe, Jeb.  Except maybe from dehydration.

Not far from you being in the plains, it poured for a good 45 mins last night along with quite the light show.

10 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Pretty good downpour here in Baltimore now! 

Picked up .95" in that storm. It's also very clear that anything of significance that falls this week is going to cause immediate flooding. There was still a lot of standing water throughout the neighborhood this morning at 5AM even though the rain stopped before midnight.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic