/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
535 PM EDT MON AUG 13 2018

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  Baltimore City in northern Maryland...
  Baltimore County in northern Maryland...

* Until 830 PM EDT.

* At 534 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing
  heavy rain across the area. 1 to 2 inches of rain is expected in
  the next hour. Flash flooding is expected to begin shortly.

* Some locations that may experience flooding include...
  Baltimore, Pikesville, Middle River, Cockeysville, Millers Island,
  Sparrows Point, Back River, Dundalk, Towson, Essex, Woodlawn,
  Randallstown, Parkville, Owings Mills, Carney, Milford Mill, Perry
  Hall, Reisterstown, Lochearn and Arbutus.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.

&&

3 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Just a little information..... From a local weather station 2 miles east of Stephens City... If it didn’t rain another drop before January, the station would still finish the year 4” above normal.

Certainly, it's been wetter than normal years here, but 2 miles east of Stephen's city is a whole 'nother world from here, especially during convection season.

Besides, winchester would probably finish 10" above normal.  The point is not the absolute; it's the relative.  

14 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Short range guidance last late evening actually showed parts of northern Md getting some heavy rain overnight so not really a total surprise. :DBtw ... Your yard is  the new rain magnet . 

This area has certainly had its share and then some. I don't understand groundwater but it's interesting to me that although Pikesville is locally a high point, there seems to be a high water table and a lot of springs in our neighborhood. We are right on the dividing line of the Gwynn Falls and Jones Falls watershed (we drain into Jones and a block away goes into Gwynn) so maybe that plays into our neighborhood drainage and standing water issues, but I have no idea. Maybe MNTransplant can explain it (I think his specialty is hydrology), but it seems counterintuitive to me. It's almost a miniature boggy Dolly Sods plateau around here!

Anyway, we are happy to share.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 87storms said:

ok, these flash flood watches are officially getting annoying.  it rained today, but not much and not for long.  i'm not thrilled with how the last few days were forecasted.  yes, there were storms around, but come on now.

Blame FF guidance then

Think this stretch of 90s starting tomorrow through Friday is our last heatwave... Getting hard for heatwaves now because the sun setting earlier. Can just about notice every day now. 

I'd like to say goodbye to summer early, although September could feature a 90 or 2. This dew wave is horrible. :axe:

10 minutes ago, Jakkel138 said:

Think this stretch of 90s starting tomorrow through Friday is our last heatwave... Getting hard for heatwaves now because the sun setting earlier. Can just about notice every day now. 

I'd like to say goodbye to summer early, although September could feature a 90 or 2. This dew wave is horrible. :axe:

We typically get two more mini heat waves, one in early/mid September and another "last gasp" the first week of October.  But those are typically days in the low 90s and cool evenings.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Wait, where are you going to?

Nowhere yet.  Not going to move until my wife returns to work, which likely wont be until next fall.  Stuck in desert hell until then, at least.  But, I can dream.

And to think I turned down the chance to relocate to western MD 2 years ago.... and was promptly rewarded with back-to-back 3" winters for my stupidity.

41 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Nowhere yet.  Not going to move until my wife returns to work, which likely wont be until next fall.  Stuck in desert hell until then, at least.  But, I can dream.

And to think I turned down the chance to relocate to western MD 2 years ago.... and was promptly rewarded with back-to-back 3" winters for my stupidity.

If you got paid for every time you complained, you wouldn't have to work. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic