• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Discobs Thread

George BM

I can't remember the last time the lawn was so green in mid-August!  Glad to see a little sun this morning though.

Jeb, that area of Texas you're moving to isn't as dry as I thought -- about 34" of rainfall a year compared to 41" for the DC area.  But the temps!  Average of 118 days at or above 90, and 18 at/above 100. :o  But I know some people that moved to that area and love it.

2 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

I can't remember the last time the lawn was so green in mid-August!  Glad to see a little sun this morning though.

Jeb, that area of Texas you're moving to isn't as dry as I thought -- about 34" of rainfall a year compared to 41" for the DC area.  But the temps!  Average of 118 days at or above 90, and 18 at/above 100. :o  But I know some people that moved to that area and love it.

Lawns in my parts here look terrible. Still unsure of the reason , maybe a fungus or poor top soil . But I have a lot of repair and over seeding to do this Fall.  

Might just be tall fescue is a poor choice.  Even fescues that are suppose to be great in heat not working well. 

Now I have this terrbile nutsledge coming out in the areas where the lawn died off. That is a first as well. I actually think it has to do maybe with a ph issue, Will get a soil sample.   

And that is a terrible thing to have in your lawn. I feel it might be oportunistic too, when the grass was thick I did not see any.   

I have enough to kepp busy with the garden yet the lawn.  Always things to do.  

1 hour ago, frd said:

Lawns in my parts here look terrible. Still unsure of the reason , maybe a fungus or poor top soil . But I have a lot of repair and over seeding to do this Fall.  

Might just be tall fescue is a poor choice.  Even fescues that are suppose to be great in heat not working well. 

Now I have tht terrbile nutsledge coming out in the areas where the lawn died off. That is a first as well. I actually think it has to do maybe with a ph issue, Will get a soil sample.   

And that is a terrible thing to have in your lawn. I feel it might be oportunistic too, when the grass was think I did not see any.   

I have enough to kepp busy with the garden yet the lawn.  Always things to do.  

Same here. I can never keep a turf type tall fescue through the whole summer. ph here is fine, slightly acidic. I am in the woods surrounded by big hardwoods and the soil is very well drained so that is probably the biggest issue. I have tried several types. What I have now is a blend of 4 or 5 different fescues and is supposed to be ideal for this area- its called shore supreme. Just like the others, much of it burns up and goes to thatch in the mid summer sun unless it gets continuous water. I have already started reseeding the areas I know wont come back. I am going to mix in some thick blade fescue- not as attractive but it is more drought tolerant. I will over seed with that once I get the shore supreme(leftover from last year) established. At this point I just want something green covering the ground- I have plenty of clover and some moss too, and I am totally good with that.

56 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Same here. I can never keep a turf type tall fescue through the whole summer. ph here is fine, slightly acidic. I am in the woods surrounded by big hardwoods and the soil is very well drained so that is probably the biggest issue. I have tried several types. What I have now is a blend of 4 or 5 different fescues and is supposed to be ideal for this area- its called shore supreme. Just like the others, much of it burns up and goes to thatch in the mid summer sun unless it gets continuous water. I have already started reseeding the areas I know wont come back. I am going to mix in some thick blade fescue- not as attractive but it is more drought tolerant. I will over seed with that once I get the shore supreme(leftover from last year) established. At this point I just want something green covering the ground- I have plenty of clover and some moss too, and I am totally good with that.

Good luck with everything . Wonder what the September temps will bring .  I would prefer cooler.   

1 minute ago, frd said:

Good luck with everything . Wonder what the September temps will bring .  I would prefer cooler.   

Thanks. You too. If this works out you might want to try it as we are in the same general area with similar soil.

As for Sept, I am good with average temps and rain, but wont complain at all if it ends up on the cool side.

Went for a nap thinking storms would form over us and woke up to dry ground this evening. Had to turn on my sprinkles for the first time in weeks. Can't chance being missed again today. Plants are droopy from me holding out until today thinking we would get some more heavy downpours. Oh well. If it rains it rains, if it doesn't, at least my plants are covered. 

24 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Up to 1.47”. This is filling in good- looks like a rain train from Colonial Beach through central Calvert into Easton. @C.A.P.E. are you getting any of this?

That main area has sagged south of here, but after the initial line went through there continues to be some additional development/training just to the north of that over my area.

Up to 1.12" and still raining hard.

8 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Up to 4.19”- this might be the best storm I’ve seen since I’ve been here. Crazy amount of lightning. Is rainiest day ever on the table again?

Thats crazy. Looks like a very narrow localized area of heavy rain training from your area over to around St Michaels. 

Flash Flood Warning
MDC009-120430-
/O.NEW.KLWX.FF.W.0072.180812T0136Z-180812T0430Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
936 PM EDT SAT AUG 11 2018

The National Weather Service in Sterling Virginia has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  Central Calvert County in southern Maryland...

* Until 1230 AM EDT.

* At 935 PM EDT, Doppler radar indicated thunderstorms producing
  heavy rain across the area. Up to three inches of rain have
  already fallen. Additional rainfall amounts of one to two inches
  are possible. Flash flooding is expected to begin shortly.

* Some locations that may experience flooding include...
  Prince Frederick and Barstow.

This includes flood prone locations
Sixes Road at Battle Creek...
Buena Vista Road...
and German Chapel Road at Battle Creek.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.

A Flash Flood Warning means that flooding is imminent or occurring.
If you are in the warned area move to higher ground immediately.
Residents living along streams and creeks should take immediate
precautions to protect life and property.

&&

LAT...LON 3859 7653 3852 7651 3848 7663 3854 7665

$$

ADS
https://forecast.weather.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=lwx&wwa=flash flood warning

Not a drop at my Woodbridge home and just a few showers at my place in NC. Not complaining.  Speaking of grass, I have a strange species of nut grass growing in between my Bermuda in North Carolina. They say it happens every year then dies out in September. I just bought the house a few weeks ago so I'm trying to figure out what the heck is going on.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic