Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Discobs Thread

George BM

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

It's amazing how hit and miss these rains are.

Thing is, where they hit and miss seems to stay in the same areas. I've got flood warnings all around me to the south, north, and east, but for the most part I got fringed with less than an inch for the day...

Rain has finally move out.  Final tally 3.1".  Probably the best single event IMBY in the 8 years I've lived here (well, except for Sandy).  Think I got 4" in a day back in May 2011 (my basement flooded when the sump pump switch got stuck), but it was from several storms spread out from morning to late afternoon.  I just got a month's worth of rain in 4 hours.

How can DCA report thunderstorms for two hours and zero rain?  Is that “thunderstorm in the area” if so that’s trying to have it both ways. They vigorously defend their high temps and low snowfall as being accurate for that exact spot. So unless it is thunder storming right over them they should not report it because like they say”we are not measuring for 2 to 10 miles away but rather right on this exact spot”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Had two rounds of showers roll through in last two hours...what happened to the mostly sunny and 82 forecast from this morning?

Not a great showing by LWX today.     They mentioned that there was a forecasted cap that would inhibit storm development, but I didn't see it on soundings I looked at this morning.   The hi-res models all showed a few cells in the area this afternoon, and they nailed it.

1 hour ago, Tenman Johnson said:

How can DCA report thunderstorms for two hours and zero rain?  Is that “thunderstorm in the area” if so that’s trying to have it both ways. They vigorously defend their high temps and low snowfall as being accurate for that exact spot. So unless it is thunder storming right over them they should not report it because like they say”we are not measuring for 2 to 10 miles away but rather right on this exact spot”

That’s not a DCA thing.  That is how you make observations.  Remember, many of these obs are at airports for a reason.

DCA 052026Z 18008KT 10SM TS SCT060CB SCT110 SCT250 33/21 A3011 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT SW AND W CB E MOV E VCSH E CB DSNT SE-SW MOV SE T03280206

• Like 1

Lawns are green as emeralds.

I am 72 to 96 hours away from leaving for a place where lawns are NOT very green at all lol.

But, regardless of where I am, Washington DC will STILL get a total of 84 inches of snow in the 2018-2019 Winter, Snow enthusiasts will be flying all over the place with sheer joy!

You're gonna need a bigger shovel.

That west-based El Nino is gonna bury all of you in the Mid Atlantic ALIVE in deep snow, and many will cry for Jebman to come dig em out lol. Northern Virginia is gonna be schoolin' Boston, old school

• Haha 1

On 8/3/2018 at 7:35 PM, SENC said:

Ya''ll are "crying" over rain? you should check the stats for WILM,N.C. for the past month! 

I would NEVER cry about rain. In Noah's time, I would have been challenging G-d for even MORE rain!

I can never be rained to death. Or snowed to death.

I never ever get enough. Even in Waterworld, I would be crying for more rain.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

That’s not a DCA thing.  That is how you make observations.  Remember, many of these obs are at airports for a reason.

DCA 052026Z 18008KT 10SM TS SCT060CB SCT110 SCT250 33/21 A3011 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT SW AND W CB E MOV E VCSH E CB DSNT SE-SW MOV SE T03280206

Exactly. Thunderstorms and/or lightning strikes within 5 miles are considered to be "on station" per observation rules. Storms from 5 to 10 miles away are considered to be "in the vicinity". Either condition is good enough to trigger a SPECI (special) observation.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Surprised heat advisories aren't out for at least DC, Arlington and Baltimore.  Inner Harbor about to break a HI of 100.

Waaay hotter then yesterday, which was majorly over-hyped. Wondering if a storm is gonna pop again around the metro, HRRR is hinting at it. Wouldn't mind that at all, yesterday the storms cooled me down to the upper 70s, albeit per my car thermometer. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic