• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
George BM

August Banter

On 8/11/2018 at 11:56 AM, smokeybandit said:

Maryland football...oof

this occurs all over football.  it's a sport where you either hit or get hit.  there's a lot of different motivational techniques used.  this sounds over the top for sure, but don't be surprised if more stories start coming out.

Maryland's biggest issue isn't that report about poor treatment of players.  Plenty of disgruntled players out there to make a stink.  And the drills they were doing when the heat stroke happened are common.

Their issue is the fact none of the medical staff recognized that the kid had a serious ailment.  Had he gotten the proper treatment from the start, he'd have been fine.

57 minutes ago, 87storms said:

this occurs all over football.  it's a sport where you either hit or get hit.  there's a lot of different motivational techniques used.  this sounds over the top for sure, but don't be surprised if more stories start coming out.

This is one reason I never played football and prefer not to support it. I played/participated in pretty much every other sport available to me instead. 

It’s a bunch of meatheaded freaks getting their rage on, and it’s pretty sad, to be honest.

On 8/13/2018 at 11:29 AM, mattie g said:

This is one reason I never played football and prefer not to support it. I played/participated in pretty much every other sport available to me instead. 

It’s a bunch of meatheaded freaks getting their rage on, and it’s pretty sad, to be honest.

LOL. Soccer is where it's at. 

On 8/13/2018 at 11:29 AM, mattie g said:

i played football with friends, but basketball has been my jam since middle school.  soccer was my first love, but i got ktfo going for a header and started to lose interest after that lol.  i'm a basketball junkie.  the wiz actually have a nice, balanced squad this year...finally.

as for the meatheads in football...i can't disagree.  i still love watching football on sundays, but i think it's a sport that doesn't need to be meathead'ish.  i really think football can be played with better pace and less contact, and that's why i think a new league could really come out of nowhere and pressure the nfl, unlike other sports.  i think goodell has done a subpar job making the game more flow'y.  i also think players should be able to kneel if they want, but that's another story.  long story short, football is a great sport and it's bigger than the nfl (they need to be careful with the path they choose because i truly think they could find themselves at some point competing with another league).

11 minutes ago, 87storms said:

great sport, but they need to cut out the injury embellishments.  it's obnoxious.  otherwise, i like watching some soccer.

I agree with you on the faking aspect. I can’t stand it. I understand that players need to be protected to a certain degree, but it’s a contact sport, and those “skill players” need to be able to take it. I’m a Tottenham Hotspur fan, and I’m proud that Harry Kane is our talisman. He’s a player that puts himself on the line and is willing to take the punishment doled out by defenders. He takes it, gets up, brushes off, and proceeds to consistently put the ball in the back of the net. Fantastic to watch.

I think we may get there in the future with the advent of VAR. And if FIFA ever gets its act together to push the federations/leagues to start using retroactive bans for diving/embellishment, then I really think we’ll be on track.

On 8/11/2018 at 12:44 AM, Jebman said:

Hey how are the Dallas Cowboys doin this year? I might actually need to defect from the Deadskins lmao

They are Redskins south.

Have a meddling owner/gm who's distracted by shiny toys. Okay talent but hamstrung by the cap due to previous deals for players long gone (Tony Romo and Dez Bryant come to mine). If they make the playoffs it will be because of a WC slot and a lot of teams choking.

LOL at the farmer's almanac prediction. "much above normal temps". I think the farmer's almanac is a joke. What are they basing this on? A 300 year old formula is probably flawed by now.

Opinion subject to change without notice.

Its starting. I definitely leave Northern Virginia early on Wednesday, August 22.

Meanwhile in other news, North VA may get an early taste of fall weather in the 2nd half of the week lol. I'll just miss it, lol.

Buda, Texas: Average high temperature is 99 degrees. Average low is 77 degrees. Its a radically warmer location, lol. ( Dale City averages are 89/66, by way of comparison).

The Mid Atlantic will enjoy a record snow winter. It will compare with, or even EXCEED, 1888 in Washington.