Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August dawgs are barking ... but it looks like the month may split

Typhoon Tip

35 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Heavy, heavy rain here. 2.22"/hr right now. I keep imagining just how many more mushrooms I would have if I wasn't in this drought.

How do you seem to do this, system after system?  Just light rain the past 90 minutes.  About .10"  Hope to get .25" with this batch.

I could live with today. Strong southern winds keeping the air mixed. Sweated good mowing and weed whacking the plush green lawn. But that breeze felt great. Lots of Bermuda blue breaks occasional spit of rain. The grass despite a good deal of sun stayed wet underneath.  The pool is spectacular though. Nice day

• Like 1

That was a fairly impressive warm fropa right there...  Two hours ago we were laboring to get it through, with streets of dark grays and misting rains at 75/73 ... then, about an hour ago, the skies when mostly clear, the temp bounced to 81, and the DP is 77. The wind is more SSW than SSE, and the streets actually dried... 

subtle distinction but ...that's Meteorology -

30 minutes ago, dendrite said:

0.85” so far. We drownin.

Batch through.   .28"  about what I expected.  You got that good T storm last week.  Then the vicious hail producer awhile back a few miles south of you.  Some real gully washers this summer in your area.  So far I have yet to have a T storm.  Don't know if a couple of claps here and there count but still waiting for one when the sky gets dark and a nice gust front comes through.  Ended July with 3.30" so shouldn't be complaining at all.  Lots of thunderstorm chances upcoming...

16 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Batch through.   .28"  about what I expected.  You got that good T storm last week.  Then the vicious hail producer awhile back a few miles south of you.  Some real gully washers this summer in your area.  So far I have yet to have a T storm.  Don't know if a couple of claps here and there count but still waiting for one when the sky gets dark and a nice gust front comes through.  Ended July with 3.30" so shouldn't be complaining at all.  Lots of thunderstorm chances upcoming...

Guess where the HRRR is targeting tomorrow. Congrats Dendrite. :raining:

I knew we were in the top 10 for July heat but looks like BTV just set its warmest month ever recorded.  It was comparable to a normal July in Philly.

July 2018 goes in as the hottest month recorded in BTV since 1883.  The average max temp was nearly a full degree higher than the previous record in 1949.  The monthly mean temp beat the old 1921 record.  

38168728_2114936015244955_72936974203643

12 minutes ago, rimetree said:

Low clouds starting to break up a bit here...moving along too. 72F No precip so far today. Funny how the ocean fog looked like it wanted to sock us in a couple hours ago and then just backed off. Seen that a lot this summer.

HRRR showed that evolution well. I rolled with the HRRRE for timing my aviation forecasts, so I was definitely hoping it wouldn't bust. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I knew we were in the top 10 for July heat but looks like BTV just set its warmest month ever. 

July 2018 goes in as the hottest month recorded in BTV since 1893.  The average max temp was nearly a full degree higher than the previous record in 1949.  The monthly mean temp beat the old 1921 record.  

Glad we don't live there.

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Glad we don't live there.

Yeah tell me about it.  To me it's the nighttime temps that make BTV unbearable...just never cools off with that low level jet ripping through the Champlain Valley.  I remember living there and it feeling like the tropics with hot breezy nights.  90F inside an apartment at midnight because it's only 84F outside.

The average minimum temp for BTV was 64.5F while over here in the mountain valley between the 4,000ft Spine and 3,000-3,600ft Worecester Range it was 55.0F.   A nearly 10F difference in the means, and some nights as much as 20F cooler here.  But that's what happens when it's clear and calm for 10 hours on this side while BTV is S10G18 all night in the valley.

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah tell me about it.  To me it's the nighttime temps that make BTV unbearable...just never cools off with that low level jet ripping through the Champlain Valley.  I remember living there and it feeling like the tropics with hot breezy nights.  90F inside an apartment at midnight because it's only 84F outside.

The average minimum temp for BTV was 64.5F while over here in the mountain valley between the 4,000ft Spine and 3,000-3,600ft Worecester Range it was 55.0F.   A nearly 10F difference in the means, and some nights as much as 20F cooler here.  But that's what happens when it's clear and calm for 10 hours on this side while BTV is S10G18 all night in the valley.

That's why we live here, for the July nights trying to make a run into the 40s. 

Just now, OceanStWx said:

LKN, GGW, and CAR were all on my no fly lists when I first started applying. Not sure why I had such a harsh view of CAR. It's not THAT far away. 

Only about 5 hrs or so.....lol, Great area to ride in the wintertime when there is snow, But once the airbase closed at Loring, Work environment and social life just about came to an end up in that area.

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

That's why we live here, for the July nights trying to make a run into the 40s. 

Its true... hot days are one thing, hot nights are terrible though.  One of the biggest changes I realized when moving out of Burlington proper.  My first move was to Jonesville, VT about 20 min away into the western slope.  Even the smaller 1,500-2,000ft hills were enough to bock the wind and allow for decoupling most nights.  I'd leave BTV after an evening shift at 11pm and watch the temperature plummet after you hit this like magic line.  Temps would be similar for the first 10 miles or so and then the last 10 miles you'd lose like a degree per mile into the hills.  All purely because the terrain stopped that incessant wind that is almost always blowing in the flat wide open Champlain Valley.  It is pretty cool local meteorology though in this area...for a weather nerd it's fascinating seeing the large sensible differences over such short distances in all seasons, be it snowfall, snowpack retention, temperatures, wind (funneling, downsloping, etc), and all other things.