Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August dawgs are barking ... but it looks like the month may split

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I'd be interested in seeing the NNE data that supports what I've bolded.  My records are totally unofficial, but are same place/same instrument since May 1998, and last month ranks as 6th warmest July of 21, only a tad behind 2011 and 2013, but 1.5° to 2.2° cooler than 1999, 2006 and 2010, the latter being #1.

Caribou and Concord and BTV I believe all had hottest July’s on record . You can check that, but I believe I saw that stat 

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t see how July was normal yet HFD was 10th hottest ever. And most NNE sites were hottest ever to top 3. There’s no way you were that much cooler than HFD

I never said it was normal.  When I look at the 35 July's I have recorded, 17 were "cooler" and 18 were warmer than this past July.  My average temp was 69.9°.  My 30+ year normal for July is 69.4° so the month was 0.5° above normal.

I can't speak for HFD but I know that NNE got the brunt of the hot weather during that one hot stretch at the beginning of the month.

4 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Summer is 2/3's done and is sitting at #6 coolest in 36 years around here.  June was the 3rd coolest and July wound up just about smack dab in the middle for average temps ranking.  We'll see what August brings in the end but it does look like the first part is going to be humid.

To be sure we've had some impressive stretches of humidity and I would argue that were in the middle of one of the more impressive ones but it has not been hot save for a select group of days.

That tells me the past 36 years have had a lot of hot summers.  At least that’s my take home.  What are the BDL departures for June and July?

24 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Caribou and Concord and BTV I believe all had hottest July’s on record . You can check that, but I believe I saw that stat 

Haven't checked BTV, but CAR is correct, warmest by over a full degree (and 2° warmer than Farmington co-op; that's certainly not common.)  Without delving into the 19th century (my data doesn't extend back that far) I found 1955 to be warmer at CON than anything this millennium, just under 1° warmer than last month.  At PWM, it was the warmest July since...2016.  And 6th warmest of the last 9.  Given the heat at a way inland spot like CAR, a record at way inland BTV wouldn't be surprising.

The 1870s data smells strongly of a different site at CON.  I have the same issue for some Farmington data.  Half of their 14 days with 100+ occurred from August 1893 (1st year of record) thru July 1897.  5 came in 1911, including 4 in 8 July days when all of NNE baked, one each in 1944 and 1975.  Not all that many proximate sites with records pre-1900, but those that have the data show heat but far less than Farmington.  That 1893-97 span had 7 days 100+ at Farmington plus 3 more at 99.  LEW had one 100+ and one 99, while Gardiner also had one 100+ but next was 98.  Bridgton, missing data for the 2 days of 1893, had nothing hotter than 95 for 1894-97, and they hold the state record, 105 (twice) in July 1911.  Same problem with some tall Farmington minima in the late 1940s, that look way out of line with nearby locations.  Would love to have station histories for places like those.

18 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Why because the data was probably recorded on a tar roof somewhere downtown? 

Corner of Winter and State Streets actually. No clue what was there.

I mean it's not all bad. Even BOS data jives with that crazy 72/58 day on 1/1/1876. I had an old link with the monthly data from the 1850s through 1899 on my old computer including their unofficial 103F from before the record period began. Something about the data that decade just seemed a bit over the top from what I can recall.

Do you have the name of the first observer at CON? That may help me find the link.

edit...n/m..found it.

https://www.concordnh.gov/DocumentCenter/View/761/Lyford-V1-Chapter-18?bidId=

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I mean it's not all bad. Even BOS data jives with that crazy 72/58 day on 1/1/1876. I had an old link with the monthly data from the 1850s through 1899 on my old computer including their unofficial 103F from before the record period began. Something about the data that decade just seemed a bit over the top from what I can recall.

Do you have the name of the first observer at CON? That may help me find the link.

edit...n/m..found it.

https://www.concordnh.gov/DocumentCenter/View/761/Lyford-V1-Chapter-18?bidId=

Looks like William Flint was quite the :weenie:

Estimating 11:1 ratios when they didn't melt the snow.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Looks like William Flint was quite the :weenie:

Estimating 11:1 ratios when they didn't melt the snow.

Some pretty torchy Jan and Feb temp extremes those early decades. I just always take the knicker period with a grain of salt.

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

At least there was excellent sleighing on 4/11/1868.

That chart of first 1" of snow is gold though.

Time to petition 1/24/1857 for a tie of the record low of -37F. ;)

The weenie obs are fun to read. Lots of earthquakes apparently.

11/3/1879, rivaling the Great Halloween blackout for CON in 2011. I'm sure the telegraph wires were a mess.

37 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Are your lawns all torched out?

Trying to water. I’m away now, but congrats on another inch. That ridge has been a feature since 2013. This WAR that kills everything to the east. I think I still would rather winter QPF though. 

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

I'd be interested in seeing the NNE data that supports what I've bolded.  My records are totally unofficial, but are same place/same instrument since May 1998, and last month ranks as 6th warmest July of 21, only a tad behind 2011 and 2013, but 1.5° to 2.2° cooler than 1999, 2006 and 2010, the latter being #1.

Edit:  4th warmest July in the past 21 years at Farmington co-op, well behind 2006 and 2010 and close to 2013.

BTV was warmest July on record since 1883.

We only had a little rain here yesterday--I guess that's the first time in many days we've managed to escape heavy downpours.  We'll see how we do today.  Humidity sucks, but only hitting low 80's keeping things bearable.  Lawn's a jungle.

On a side note, I realized last night I should become active in the Bay Area discussions since I'm out there half the time.  I just discovered there's really no group that covers CA.   I guess there's not much exciting to forecast there.