Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

3 hours ago, sferic said:

My electric bill for KWH used to cool my house with 5 AC units will be around $800 for July and August; highest ever.

Again, that goes back to the warm nights more so than the days. My AC has been working overtime at night and it didn't used to be that way. 

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

My thermometer on my truck which is relatively accurate was 92 leaving Jones beach about an hour ago. One of the hottest days on the beach in a long time with a NW wind.

I knew I should have come down today. Hopefully next Wednesday is nearly as good. What are the water temps like in the bay? I bet it's pretty warm if a north wind isn't moderating the beach temps somewhat.

9 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

Anyone have the dailies for NYC, EWR or PHL/TTN Aug 21 - Sep 10 1953?  Unc/don?

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airportfrompws/KEWR/1953/8/24/CustomHistory.html?dayend=4&monthend=9&yearend=1953&req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

edit the airport name in the address

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Again, that goes back to the warm nights more so than the days. My AC has been working overtime at night and it didn't used to be that way. 

I knew I should have come down today. Hopefully next Wednesday is nearly as good. What are the water temps like in the bay? I bet it's pretty warm if a north wind isn't moderating the beach temps somewhat.

You did not want to be at the beach today. The north wind brought an incredible ammount of black flies which bite. It was unbearable. Pretty much everyone that came down quickly left. The worst I have seen in 20 years guarding. 

Water temps were cool today with upwelling a dark green/brown and upper 60s. The past week they were in the upper 70s and almost turquoise on the onshore wind. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fantom X said:

SST shot up close to 80- on an off-shore wind ironically- which normally results in cooler up welling. 

plot_met.png

It looks like the winds out there were too light to cause upwelling.

NY Harb Entrance 2050            83 77   CALM  /  2 1016.2          2/ 6
20 S Fire Island 2050            81 80  250/  4/  4 1016.6          2/ 6
  • Thanks 1

Why is an onshore flow giving an issue with cloud cover for tomorrow and Saturday even though the ocean temps are much warmer this time of year than in April and May. Thought during the summer months that the onshore flow doesn't have as strong as an influence in terms of cloud cover and cooler temps like it does in April and May when the ocean temps are significantly colder. Just don't get it? I don't mind the cooler air but not with gray skies and no sun at all

3 hours ago, SACRUS said:

8 - 30 

ACY: 94
JFK: 92
EWR: 92
New Bnwck: 91
BLM: 91
LGA: 91
TEB: 91
NYC: 90
TTN: 90
PHL: 90
ISP: 89

NYC hit 90 a little after 1pm. Soon after, temperatures fell off a cliff.

Several of our stations will finish August near the warmest on record. There were also a number of local stations with a top 5 and 10 warmest summer(JJA). But the high humidity was even more impressive than the temperatures. JFK is at 34 days of a 75 or higher maximum dew point. This is 10 more days than the previous record. It is also a new extreme for 3 consecutive years with so many days. 

through 8/30:

............AUG....JJA

EWR.....#5

LGA......#2......#3

JFK......#5

HPN.....#2......#8

BDR....#2........#3

ISP.....#4........#5

2033310321_Screenshot2018-08-31at7_22_05AM.thumb.png.827e3581149012f511d4f0e6bd2e9977.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Several of our stations will finish August near the warmest on record. There were also a number of local stations with a top 5 and 10 warmest summer(JJA). But the high humidity was even more impressive than the temperatures. JFK is at 34 days of a 75 or higher maximum dew point. This is 10 more days than the previous record. It is also a new extreme for 3 consecutive years with so many days. 

through 8/30:

............AUG....JJA

EWR.....#5

LGA......#2......#3

JFK......#5

HPN.....#2......#8

BDR....#2........#3

ISP.....#4........#5

2033310321_Screenshot2018-08-31at7_22_05AM.thumb.png.827e3581149012f511d4f0e6bd2e9977.png

Is this correlated to AGW? Seems extreme. 

16 minutes ago, bluewave said:

through 8/30:

............AUG....JJA

EWR.....#5

LGA......#2......#3

JFK......#5

HPN.....#2......#8

BDR....#2........#3

ISP.....#4........#5

Impressive to say the least