• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

Damn it is disgusting out just walked several blocks. This ranks with some of the hottest nights ever. Now 90/73, but if you held a thermometer out on an avg city sidewalk I think you'd get something even warmer. This stuff plus UHI is very taxing on the body.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Select 90° or above High Temperatures in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic Regions through 12 pm:

Allentown: 90°
Atlantic City: 93°
Baltimore: 93°
Boston: 94° (near the daily record)
Concord: 91°
Harrisburg: 90°
Hartford: 91°
Islip: 90° (near the daily record)
Manchester: 91°
New York City-JFK: 91°
New York City-LGA: 94°
New York City-NYC: 91°
Newark: 92°
Norfolk: 90°
Philadelphia: 90°
Providence: 91°
Richmond: 90°
Rochester: 90°
Salisbury: 90°
Sterling: 92°
Teterboro: 92° (near the daily record)
Trenton: 91°
Washington, DC: 90°
Wilmington, DE: 90°

What I have noticed on many occasions is that the NYC temperature seems to hit a wall at about 1pm or so capping any further rise. This occurs during various synoptic scenarios and has nothing to do with the onset of a sea breeze. Here, for example, at noon, NYC is right in the thick of things. By 4 pm, however, NYC is only 92 (daily high) while almost every other station, except ISP and JFK with their sea breeze, are 3 or 4 degrees higher. Just look at the hourly readings and you will find that this happens on a majority of days.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mjr said:

What I have noticed on many occasions is that the NYC temperature seems to hit a wall at about 1pm or so capping any further rise. This occurs during various synoptic scenarios and has nothing to do with the onset of a sea breeze. Here, for example, at noon, NYC is right in the thick of things. By 4 pm, however, NYC is only 92 (daily high) while almost every other station, except ISP and JFK with their sea breeze, are 3 or 4 degrees higher. Just look at the hourly readings and you will find that this happens on a majority of days.

There is a possibility that the trees need to be trimmed around the Central Park station.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

There is a possibility that the trees need to be trimmed around the Central Park station.

The site is blocked off because of unrelated construction at the nearby Castle, so the untrimmed shrubbery around the station is currently epic.

• Like 1

All our stations are in the top 10 warmest Augusts. LGA, HPN, and BDR are currently ranked 2nd with 2 days to go. 

EWR....#6...79.1

NYC......#9...78.1...blocked sensor artificial cooling issues

LGA......#2...80.9

JFK.......#7...77.3

ISP.......#4...76.6

HPN......#2...75.8

BDR......#2...77.9

This is the first winter, spring, and summer with such high temperature departures on the last month of each season.

LGA

Feb....+7.1....#2...... warmest on record

May....+4.9...#2.......warmest on record

Aug....+4.5....#2......warmest on record through the 29th

17 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

The heat might be making me go insane but it actually felt marginally better outside this morning. NAM says the relief will start coming in around 10:00 PM tonight.

7 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Dewpoint is 67 here, feels quite a bit better than yesterday

Still 86/73 at ISP and FRG, HI 93, still uncomfortable out here.

7 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

The ridge next week looks really impressive, and I'm surprised at how benign the NWS is being. No reason to think we won't see more advisories/warnings being hoisted for next Mon-Thurs. 

Even i am getting sick of the hot weather. No relief here yet, 86/75/96. A few dry cool days would be nice. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Even i am getting sick of the hot weather. No relief here yet, 86/75/96. A few dry cool days would be nice. 

But a few inches of snow fell at 10,000 feet in Glacier National Park! 

Everything is fine. 

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

Gfs shows 90s for all of next week (Mon-Sat) topping out in the upper 90s on Tue-Wed with dews in the low to mid 70s. The ridge is close to topping 600dm, which would be record breaking.  

Hard to tell but may get a few days with more of a WSW flow this time as well so could be hotter days for Long Island