Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

What about the flash flooding from all the rain though? Some of the guidance dumps double digit rainfall here.

I have been there for some pretty serious rains (6”+ in 24 hours) during the winter from a stuck cold front. The only thing you will notice is the water turning brown from runoff. The islands get heavy rains often so they are accustomed to it.

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Bro relax, you will be fine. Storm will be weakening, and wont come close to you. Enjoy the vacation

No offense, but the latest track from the CPHC disagrees. And this isn’t a microcane, it has a 20nm wide eye and hurricane force winds extend out 40 miles from the center.

Lane looks great on IR loop and is probably a cat 5 right now, even though they kept it at 155MPH for the new advisory. I’ll be feeling the storm as early as tomorrow night, well before the core approaches.

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

No offense, but the latest track from the CPHC disagrees. And this isn’t a microcane, it has a 20nm wide eye and hurricane force winds extend out 40 miles from the center.

Lane looks great on IR loop and is probably a cat 5 right now, even though they kept it at 155MPH for the new advisory. I’ll be feeling the storm as early as tomorrow night, well before the core approaches.

Unless you are hanging out with Gilligan and Maryanne, you will be fine even if it does come close. Very well built hotels there. 

2 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Unless you are hanging out with Gilligan and Maryanne, you will be fine even if it does come close. Very well built hotels there. 

Anyway,

I’m not fearing for my life, I’m fearing of an awful 36+ hours and possibly of being forced to evacuate. And if that does end up happening, where would we even go? It’s not like I can just hop on the next flight.

36 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:
Anyway,

I’m not fearing for my life, I’m fearing of an awful 36+ hours and possibly of being forced to evacuate. And if that does end up happening, where would we even go? It’s not like I can just hop on the next flight.

You’ll end up in a shelter, if you are forced to evacuate, it’s why I kept saying head East to Maui or big island, regardless of watches imo. Does your hotel property have a building away from the beach, higher up in elevation?  In Iwa we moved to building away from beach on property. The next day the building we had been in was gone. Meanwhile we had people knocking on room door to get on bus to shelter as storm was hitting.  Hopefully Lane stays away and only a glancing blow with TS force winds happens to you in Oahu.  Otherwise it’ll be a memorable vacation for the wrong reasons.

14 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

You’ll end up in a shelter, if you are forced to evacuate, it’s why I kept saying head East to Maui or big island, regardless of watches imo. Does your hotel property have a building away from the beach, higher up in elevation?  In Iwa we moved to building away from beach on property. The next day the building we had been in was gone. Meanwhile we had people knocking on room door to get on bus to shelter as storm was hitting.  Hopefully Lane stays away and only a glancing blow with TS force winds happens to you in Oahu.  Otherwise it’ll be a memorable vacation for the wrong reasons.

Not really. We’re staying at Aulani.

1 hour ago, uofmiami said:

No need to scare him...

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

No need to scare him...

It’s not hyperbole, anyway I can see the same data as everyone else, and it looks more serious than it did yesterday and a lot more serious than 48 hours ago. 

I’m at the point where whatever happens happens. I can’t control it and leaving isn’t an option. So I’m riding it out and hoping for the best.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SACRUS said:

We'll have to see if we can match or top the 1953/1948 enf of August heat but looking might toasty for a sustained period 8/26 - Sep 2 and beyond.

test8.gif

34 minutes ago, RedSky said:

It's raining at ludicrous rate right now

Tropical indeed! Was pouring so hard. It doesn't seem like the more normal rain we used to get. I am hoping this upcoming heat ends by early September..