From Mount Holly's AFD:

High pressure then builds in from the north and west with a
cooler and much dryer airmass on Thursday. Surface dewpoints
fall into the 50s, and 1000-500 mb thicknesses will fall to
555-560 dam. With highs generally in the 70s to low 80s, it will
feel quite pleasant, especially compared to the warmth and
humidity of most of August so far.

Even lows Wednesday night and Thursday night will fall into the
50s and low 60s, which will be a welcome relief.

Oh please oh please oh please.

• Like 1

Finally we get some cooler air. At least for a few days. I was in Boston this weekend and yesterday it felt cold during the morning hours although the day got quite warm in the mid 70’s. Looking ahead cooler and drier for a few days and than it’ll get really warm again but the good thing about the upcoming warm airmass is that it will be dry and not humid. Once that scoots to our south by September 4th or so, it’ll start to really cool down. Fall is coming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snow88 said:

Beautiful sleeping weather

All weather is beautiful sleeping weather if you have a $130 window AC from Wally World.

Anyway, not sure why the commotion about a looming cooldown. We do a couple days of seasonable to perhaps tenuously BN lows and then the heat signal is as strong as it ever was. I have a perhaps ill-considered Misquamicut --> home --> Newport --> DC --> Lake George --> St. Augustine itinerary the first two weeks of Sep, so hopefully warm wx prevails during the beachy facets of my tour.

uzGMgvy.png

12 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

From Mount Holly's AFD:

Oh please oh please oh please.

I've been saying for awhile that the best weather of the summer is coming late week. Thursday through saturday will be about as close to perfect as it gets for summer weather. 80 degrees with dewpoints in the 50s. And even next week when it heats up, it won't be the extremely humid wet pattern. It'll be mostly sunny and hot. Shore businesses that suffered this summer due to all the rain will at least be able to enjoy a strong finish with the great beach weather in the week and a half leading up to Labor Day.

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

All weather is beautiful sleeping weather if you have a $130 window AC from Wally World.

Anyway, not sure why the commotion about a looming cooldown. We do a couple days of seasonable to perhaps tenuously BN lows and then the heat signal is as strong as it ever was. I have a perhaps ill-considered Misquamicut --> home --> Newport --> DC --> Lake George --> St. Augustine itinerary the first two weeks of Sep, so hopefully warm wx prevails during the beachy facets of my tour.

uzGMgvy.png

It's because we're finally gonna see a major break from the humidity. We've had pretty much constant high humidity for a couple months. For a change we're gonna see several days with dewpoints in the 50s. A huge change from what we've had this summer and it will feel great.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

It's because we're finally gonna see a major break from the humidity. We've had pretty much constant high humidity for a couple months. For a change we're gonna see several days with dewpoints in the 50s. A huge change from what we've had this summer and it will feel great.

Yeah, but it was close to a miracle that we maintained the 80/75 stuff as long as we did... you can't expect that for the whole of astro summer. I remain leery of the ridge building a bit further east and siphoning off the western GoM moisture. As it stands, the GFS op has dews near or better than 70F for much (most?) of next week. The broadcast mets carrying on about a "taste of autumn" are overselling it imo.

7 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, but it was close to a miracle that we maintained the 80/75 stuff as long as we did... you can't expect that for the whole of astro summer. I remain leery of the ridge building a bit further east and siphoning off the western GoM moisture. As it stands, the GFS op has dews near or better than 70F for much (most?) of next week. The broadcast mets carrying on about a "taste of autumn" are overselling it imo.

That is true...while it is a taste of autumn especially compared to what we've had, it's an island of cool in a sea of warmth.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I do agree that a "taste of autumn" is going overboard. High temps around 80 is still summer weather. But at least it will feel very comfortable thursday through saturday with dewpoints in the 50s, and with the dry air the nights will be cool. Definitely the nicest 3 day stretch of the summer.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Dude it’s cold today!

I can't wait for the heat to be gone. 

SPC has western PA under a slight risk tomorrow and soundings support a chance of supercells with a possible tornado. It's difficult to chase in that area because of the mountains but I might give it a shot. One or two storms on the 3k Nam make it to NYC tomorrow night but I'm sure they will die like they usually do. 

2 hours ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

Finally we get some cooler air. At least for a few days. I was in Boston this weekend and yesterday it felt cold during the morning hours although the day got quite warm in the mid 70’s. Looking ahead cooler and drier for a few days and than it’ll get really warm again but the good thing about the upcoming warm airmass is that it will be dry and not humid. Once that scoots to our south by September 4th or so, it’ll start to really cool down. Fall is coming.

So after this next heat it is finally looking more fall-like? I would love that. 

33 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Some drizzle falling here in wantagh currently despite the radar not showing anything. Today definitely has an early autumn feel. 

solid cloud deck here and temps going nowhere...the gloom does remind me a bit of late Sept or Oct where the sun angle is not enough to burn off the stratus...

13 hours ago, nycwinter said:

it might get even more  wetter next week in oahu....

I woke up this morning to see that the track of Lane has shifted significantly to the right. The Central Pacific Hurricane Center now says that a hurricane watch could be issued for the NW Hawaiian islands by tonight. The locals here say they can feel the storm coming because the winds have been so calm. The Hurricane has literally sucked away all the breezes as they put it.

Unlike the other islands, the poplulated portions of Ohau aren’t protected from the mountains.

I guess I picked a bad time to go to Ohau.

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I woke up this morning to see that the track of Lane has shifted significantly to the right. The Central Pacific Hurricane Center now says that a hurricane watch could be issued for the NW Hawaiian islands by tonight. The locals here say they can feel the storm coming because the winds have been so calm. The Hurricane has literally sucked away all the breezes as they put it.

Unlike the other islands, the poplulated portions of Ohau aren’t protected from the mountains.

without the trade winds hawaii  can be like nyc very humid and uncomfortable...as a weather  fan this sort of possible setup should peak your interest.. i would think...

2 minutes ago, nycwinter said:

without the trade winds hawaii  can be like nyc very humid and uncomfortable...as a weather  fan this sort of possible setup should peak your interest.. i would think...

Yeah it’s “cool” but I’m right on the ocean in Ko Olina and I’m not sure how hurricane proof things are here since hits are so rare. The resorts out this way are all less than 20 years old, which was after the last big hit on Ohau. 

Were going to be in the right front quadrant to boot and the mountains are just to our North which means maximum impacts as far as I can tell. 

9 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

They freak when the trades stop, which is funny IMO. When I was there (Maui) back 2014 during the El Nino, the locals were dying due to the lack of trades, they can't take the humidity without the wind.  Usually trades are lacking with an El Nino developing or happening there.  Of course, there is also an increased chance for Hurricanes there during El Nino too.  Good luck with Lane, should the storm come your way.  I would change plans and head to Maui or Big Island IMO, so you can fly back to mainland when your trip should be over, unless you want to stay and experience a Hurricane in Hawaii.

14 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

They freak when the trades stop, which is funny IMO. When I was there (Maui) back 2014 during the El Nino, the locals were dying due to the lack of trades, they can't take the humidity without the wind.  Usually trades are lacking with an El Nino developing or happening there.  Of course, there is also an increased chance for Hurricanes there during El Nino too.  Good luck with Lane, should the storm come your way.  I would change plans and head to Maui or Big Island IMO, so you can fly back to mainland when your trip should be over, unless you want to stay and experience a Hurricane in Hawaii.

I don’t think evacuating is an option right now. I guess if things trend stronger, they might order one. As of now, we’re planning to ride it out, not supposed to come home till a week from tomorrow so we’re hoping to salvage at least this weekend and early next week.

27 minutes ago, bluewave said:

If all the long range guidance is correct, then we may have to wait until mid or late September to see  our next cool down relative to the means. Remarkable how it appears September will come out of the gate with very warm departures like July and August. Very strong long range signal for a ridge north of Hawaii and over the Great Lakes and Northeast until further notice. 

Y201808.D1512_gl0.png.0ddd7e43128147f826def8b15065dd06.png

Y201808.D1512_gl0B.png.8b7fe38eea8d7200be3354faf48c5f2e.png

I think fall is going to be on the warmer side at least until late November when I think the bottom will fall out around Thanksgiving.