Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

13 minutes ago, psv88 said:

North central suffolk got rocked yesterday by several rounds of heavy storms starting about 4:30, even earlier further south. Just 3-4 miles nw of here saw nothing. Bad luck I guess

I was underneath one of those while driving home, but it turned into a sun shower closer to home. My station only recorded 0.02” from it.

23 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Only .15” at the wantagh meso in the last 24 hours. We find every possible way to miss any precip.

i have also noticed the last several weeks there is an area of convection non stop about 100 miles south of the island over the ocean. That area must have had 50” of rain or something ridiculous  

I’m surprised, Nassau was doing so well with storms. I think even Long Beach got hit yesterday. Do you know the monthly total so far at the Wantagh station?

9 minutes ago, Cfa said:

I’m surprised, Nassau was doing so well with storms. I think even Long Beach got hit yesterday. Do you know the monthly total so far at the Wantagh station?

Not sure about the monthly total but it’s been a running joke for years in my neighborhood that it never rains in the summer. The new official station has been proving there is some truth to that. We are too far south for the sea breeze convection that seems to form along the southern state. And convection coming from the West seems to die before reaching us. Even further east on the south shore of Suffolk seems to get Into better storms. Of course we have had our moments but that’s usually associated with warm fronts. It must be a combination of the of the ocean and geography. 

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Not sure about the monthly total but it’s been a running joke for years in my neighborhood that it never rains in the summer. The new official station has been proving there is some truth to that. We are too far south for the sea breeze convection that seems to form along the southern state. And convection coming from the West seems to die before reaching us. Even further east on the south shore of Suffolk seems to get Into better storms. Of course we have had our moments but that’s usually associated with warm fronts. It must be a combination of the of the ocean and geography. 

I have clearly seen your part of LI (southwest corner) miss rains (and snow) often enough. Oddly, I skipped Jones Beach this year bc majors of shoes I’ve gone to past 5 years or so have had rain which to me was unheard of for a long time (90s-like 2012)

I wonder if the North Fork as an area receives less, however. It was my understanding that the north fork received  the least precip which is why it’s a suitable area for wineries. Kinda curious as to precip patterns on LI. I know my part of Suffolk (central, North, ~Port Jeff area) clearly gets the most snow the past few decades. 

1 hour ago, SACRUS said:

You have to go back almost a month to Jul 21st the last day LGA had a high below 80 and for LGA a low below 70.  Jul 25th for EWR

3rd longest above 70 streak at LGA as of yesterday. 

Most consecutive days at or above 70 at LGA:

#1.....34 days....2006

#2.....32 days....1980

#3.....28 days....2018...2010

1 hour ago, sb7916 said:

Snoski14? I hate it. Want the warmth to return with no chill in the air what's whoever. Seeing April and November weather in the summer months sucks and just pisses me off. Don't want to be wearing a jacket in the middle of the summer

70-72F is a pretty warm April-Nov day. 

50 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

Some of the mushrooms on the lawns are large and thick enough to be used as bludgeons.

Seriously. I can’t remember a year where I’ve seen more mushrooms. 

We had my father in laws suprise 70th birthday at the house yesterday. I put up a few canopy’s in the yard and was glad I did because as soon as everyone sat down to eat we had a downpour.  The rain this summer had been a pain but at least its been warm. Today is the one exception. For August, I would consider today “disgusting”.  Luckily it looks fairly short lived. Need to pack in the beach days while we can  

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

When you run over them with the lawnmower they pop and spew spores all over like smoke. I turned my mower over the other day to clean underneath and they were growing in there too.

Good lord.

1 hour ago, tdp146 said:

Seriously. I can’t remember a year where I’ve seen more mushrooms. 

We had my father in laws suprise 70th birthday at the house yesterday. I put up a few canopy’s in the yard and was glad I did because as soon as everyone sat down to eat we had a downpour.  The rain this summer had been a pain but at least its been warm. Today is the one exception. For August, I would consider today “disgusting”.  Luckily it looks fairly short lived. Need to pack in the beach days while we can  

Looks like we're finally exiting this multi-week pattern of endless pop-up severe storms.  Tuesday night's rain seems like a more orderly frontal passage event rather than spontaneous atmospheric combustion from 100 degree dews and sea breeze fronts.

6 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

Good lord.

Looks like we're finally exiting this multi-week pattern of endless pop-up severe storms.  Tuesday night's rain seems like a more orderly frontal passage event rather than spontaneous atmospheric combustion from 100 degree dews and sea breeze fronts.

Yup. Ick...

Boy I sure hope you're right.