Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

12 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Not a drop here at Jones beach and nothing at the wantagh meso. Back to a more typical summer pattern where the immediate south shore misses out on everything. My gf said she had a good storm in Babylon near the southern state 

Had 4 separate downpours here this afternoon/evening so far.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

A gigantic .13” at the wantagh meso today. The best thing about having that meso where it is, is to show the ocean effect on summer precip patterns. While the rest of the island gets rocked the immediate south shore stays dry.

You'll get your rain in the winter :P

• Haha 1

Only the 8th time that LGA made it to 30 days reaching 90 our higher. We will have a chance to add to the 90 degree day numbers later this month when the WAR reloads. This is also the highest number of 90 degree days for such a wet summer.

Most 90 degree days on record at LGA

#1...48...2010

#2...35...2002

#3...34...1991

#4...32...2016

#5...31...1983

#6...30...2018...2005...1953

JJA LGA rainfall

2018....15.04 so far

• Like 1

17 hours ago, winterwarlock said:

another busted forecast...last Sunday and now today, two days the met said were not going to be beach days and would feature clouds with a chance of showers...they are killing business down the shore because of these bad forecasts.. Had more sun today than the last two days thats for sure

Yeah yday did have more sun than I expected. Overall though, I stopped waiting for perfect days. You can spend the whole summer waiting for one that coincides with free time schedule. In this warm humid pattern chances of showers are always lingering. I've taken my chances with it and its worked out well more often than not. Alot of times storms dont make it to the shore anyway or they do later in the evening, its the best place to avoid the rain.

17 hours ago, seanick said:

Where exactly are you talking about? Because storms are firing up. 

it was a mix of sun and clouds IMBY all day up until about 5PM..just because you get rain in LI thats another world from me.....they gloomed and doomed the forecast just like last Sunday which turned out to be a great beach day.

Today seems rainier than expected, the mets have had some issues lately with these precip events and pinpointing timing, if it was snow y'all would be in a uproar

Yesterday was my 2nd wettest day of this summer and it was generally sunny to partly cloudy (and hot). Day was far from a waste, most rain fell overnight and after 7PM from fairly short lived thunderstorms.

Bottomed out at 66, which was the coolest it’s been since July. Currently 68, I can’t recall the last time it was this cool at this hour, it feels alien.

Clouds pretty locked in so cant see much higher than low-mid 70s.  Agree with blue only a few days were washouts or completely cloudy, this has been very much a tropical-like (Miami) climate - loads of rain but heat and sunshine in between 

9 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Yesterday was my 2nd wettest day of this summer and it was generally sunny to partly cloudy (and hot). Day was far from a waste, most rain fell overnight and after 7PM from fairly short lived thunderstorms.

Bottomed out at 66, which was the coolest it’s been since July. Currently 68, I can’t recall the last time it was this cool at this hour, it feels alien.

North central suffolk got rocked yesterday by several rounds of heavy storms starting about 4:30, even earlier further south. Just 3-4 miles nw of here saw nothing. Bad luck I guess

8 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Only .15” at the wantagh meso in the last 24 hours. We find every possible way to miss any precip.

i have also noticed the last several weeks there is an area of convection non stop about 100 miles south of the island over the ocean. That area must have had 50” of rain or something ridiculous