Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, Tatamy said:

There is a history of these convergence zones setting up west to east across LI.  There was one a couple of years ago that dumped up to several inches of rain across NW Suffolk Cty.

I’ve been on the edge of the sea breeze front all day. It will pour for 20 mins and 20 mins later the sun is out in full. I’ve lost track of how many downpours I’ve had today. 

4 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

I’ve been on the edge of the sea breeze front all day. It will pour for 20 mins and 20 mins later the sun is out in full. I’ve lost track of how many downpours I’ve had today. 

Absolutely nothing south of Merrick road in Wantagh. I definitely remember a few setups like this where the sunrise highway is the dividing line. I remember on specifically when I was a kid where there was major flash flooding north of the Southern state and nothing south of there. I remember driving home from? With my mother and almost getting stuck multiple times only the get to the SS and the rain just shut off.  

4 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Absolutely nothing south of Merrick road in Wantagh. I definitely remember a few setups like this where the sunrise highway is the dividing line. I remember on specifically when I was a kid where there was major flash flooding north of the Southern state and nothing south of there. I remember driving home from? With my mother and almost getting stuck multiple times only the get to the SS and the rain just shut off.  

Yeah. I’m about a mile north of sunrise. My fiends in Long Beach have been on the sand all day in the sun. I feel like this is what a rain forest would be like. 

1 hour ago, tdp146 said:

Sea breeze front can make for some real interesting weather out there.  Way back in 1978 when I lived in East Northport a sea breeze front thunderstorm turned violent and produced marble sized hail and numerous CTG lightning strikes along with strong winds.  It was one of the very few times I saw hail when I lived out that way.

16 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Not a drop in south Wantagh at my house. Beautiful sunny sky’s here at Jones beach. We have closed intermittently for lightning 

...yeah,it was the same deal out here on Pikes beach in west hampton dunes on sunday..beautiful sunny

skies with a brisk ESE wind..when you looked north it looked very stormy with billowing clouds and they didn't seem

to move much..all in all it turned out to be a great day at the beach.

Rare combination of warm and wet this August since 2000. All the other Augusts in NYC with over 5.00 or rain were cooler than this month so far. This pattern continues in the forecast  with more heavy rain and 90 degree days around the area this week.

NYC August rainfall over 5.00 and monthly temperature departure

2018....5.15.....+4.0 so far

2011..18.95.....+0.2

2008....5.58......-1.3

2007....7.18......-1.1

2006...6.08.......+0.7

2003...5.85......+1.6

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

You guys know how to search this stuff... do you know if Mahopac, NY recorded any rain this Sunday?

I wasn't home for most of the day but it did rain here early in the morning and then stayed wet until about 10 and then there were a few very light showers around 6pm but nothing of any real consequence on Sunday, Saturday was very wet with several rounds of heavy rain. We are exactly halfway between the Somers and Brewster Mesonet stations so you can get a very good idea what's going on here using those two and there are a couple of WU stations here in town that you can use too.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Rare combination of warm and wet this August since 2000. All the other Augusts in NYC with over 5.00 or rain were cooler than this month so far. This pattern continues in the forecast  with more heavy rain and 90 degree days around the area this week.

2011..18.95.....+0.2

2008....5.58......-1.3

2007....7.18......-1.1

2006...6.08.......+0.7

2003...5.85......+1.6

LGA
2006 : +1.8 (4.85)
2011: -0.3  (17.23)
2008: -1.3 (5.78)
2007: +.8 (5.93)
2003: +1.8 (5.57)

EWR:

2006: +1.5 (2.82)
2011: +1.1 (18.79)
2008: -1.7 (2.80)
2007: -0.5 (7.32)
2003: +1.8 (8.00)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

2011..18.95.....+0.2

2008....5.58......-1.3

2007....7.18......-1.1

2006...6.08.......+0.7

2003...5.85......+1.6

I was thinking the same thing..never did research on it but wet summer months I usually remember as below norm temp.

Here now 71 dew 70. temp/dews slowly falling thought I might make a run at a below 70 temp. Cant remember the last time i got into the 60s.