Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

8 hours ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

Last nights storms lasted a full 90 minutes and in terms of duration of lighting , it ranks as one of the best for me here in Monmouth County.

There were tons of road crews out this morning putting the place back together. It wasn`t the most extreme/vicious in terms of close strikes but from a longevity aspect , it was more than anyone could ask for. 

The funny part is the weather channel didn’t have any rain for us until it started raining and severe thunderstorm warnings should have been issues! I’m sorry but a lot of guys in here are more talented than the professionals only because we’re very passionate about weather 

36 minutes ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

The funny part is the weather channel didn’t have any rain for us until it started raining and severe thunderstorm warnings should have been issues! I’m sorry but a lot of guys in here are more talented than the professionals only because we’re very passionate about weather 

I don't think yesterdays storms met the criteria for a severe thunderstorm warning from the City east. 

10 minutes ago, seanick said:

I don't think yesterdays storms met the criteria for a severe thunderstorm warning from the City east. 

What are you talking about dude? Stick to taking pictures! Yesterday was as severe weather as you get! First of all they didn’t even have rain in the forecast! Never mind people got hit by lightning because they weren’t warned! Some of those people at the met office should’ve been fired simple as that! And tonight’s storms don’t look as vicious as last night but there’s a chance of a slight thunderstorm even for the city.

6 minutes ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

What are you talking about dude? Stick to taking pictures! Yesterday was as severe weather as you get! First of all they didn’t even have rain in the forecast! Never mind people got hit by lightning because they weren’t warned! Some of those people at the met office should’ve been fired simple as that! And tonight’s storms don’t look as vicious as last night but there’s a chance of a slight thunderstorm even for the city.

Lightning is not a criteria of severe thunderstorms. Atleast 1 inch hail, winds 58mph or a tornado is. Calm your horses. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, seanick said:

Lightning is not a criteria of severe thunderstorms. Atleast 1 inch hail, winds 58mph or a tornado is. Calm your horses. 

I know that Willy but I think they have it wrong just like they had it wrong with not forecasting rain at all. I think a storm that size should be a severe thunderstorm warning. That’s just common sense people were severely hurt from the storm had a tree hit part of my car last night woke up this morning and it shocked me! Regardless I think they should change that. In fact I’m going to email them to request a change for that reason! 

By the way I love your pictures you’re very talented and passionate!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

I know that Willy but I think they have it wrong just like they had it wrong with not forecasting rain at all. I think a storm that size should be a severe thunderstorm warning. That’s just common sense people were severely hurt from the storm had a tree hit part of my car last night woke up this morning and it shocked me! Regardless I think they should change that. In fact I’m going to email them to request a change for that reason! 

By the way I love your pictures you’re very talented and passionate!

Yeah..last night was the best thunderstorm in years here but no warning smh.

6 hours ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

By the way I think we’ll get some decent thunderstorms here in the city later tonight around 10:30-11pm

6 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I disagree. The radar is pretty dead right now. What what would be the mechanism for these storms?

He ended up being right 

• Like 1

JFK just broke the record today for the most 75 degree or greater maximum dew point days in a year. Today was day 25 beating 1983. This has also been the most days over a 3 year period. It's just one new extreme after another during the 2010's.

1045370058_Screenshot2018-08-09at7_24_26AM.thumb.png.1148d1acb0b95737b462270db3ec354a.png

6 hours ago, CIK62 said:

Next 8 days averaging 79degs., or 4degs. AN.

Month to date is  +5.1.    Should be  +4.3 by the 17th.

All 3 of our models showing 2"-3" for the next 10 days.   Closer to normal temps. for the third week of August?

The period 8/12 - 8/15-16-ish  looks unsetteled -  closed low city.  Clouds and showers could see temps BN for that period.  If its the WA.R is  more west,  forcing the cut offs more inland then continued humid/warm but likely limited 90s.  Will be interesting to see if another heat spike materializes in the 8/17 - 8/21 period