• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

In addition to the tropical dew points and flash flooding, this was the 3rd warmest 1st week of August on record for LGA. It's an interesting repeating pattern of so much warmth focused into the first week of the month going back to May.

This latest 2010's extreme weather pattern has been associated with the record WAR and most positive May-Jul NAO on record.

LGA

5-1-18 to 5-7-18.....2nd warmest on record at 70.9

7-1-18 to 7-7-18.....8th warmest on record at  82.1

8-1-18 to 8-7-18.....3rd warmest on record at  84.2

IMG_0219.PNG.3ff1392524a8e6834aeb1fad738f2ace.PNG

• Like 2

Last nights storms lasted a full 90 minutes and in terms of duration of lighting , it ranks as one of the best for me here in Monmouth County.

There were tons of road crews out this morning putting the place back together. It wasn`t the most extreme/vicious in terms of close strikes but from a longevity aspect , it was more than anyone could ask for. 

• Like 2

No reports out North Bellmore, East Meadow or Roosevelt which were hard hit but my town made the list.  I only send snow reports in though.   

Nassau County...
   North Merrick         4.73   900 PM  8/07  Public
   1 E Uniondale         2.57   141 AM  8/08  CWOP
   Wantagh               2.11   900 PM  8/07  Trained Spotter
   Franklin Square       2.03   719 PM  8/07  Trained Spotter
   Thomaston             1.92   749 AM  8/08  AWS
   Massapequa            1.66   930 PM  8/07  Trained Spotter
   Franklin Square       1.64   750 AM  8/08  AWS
   Merrick               1.63   930 PM  8/07  Broadcast Media
   Malverne              1.51   900 PM  8/07  Trained Spotter
   1 SW East Massapequa  1.11   746 AM  8/08  CWOP
   Long Beach            1.00   825 PM  8/07  Trained Spotter
   Matinecock            0.56   750 AM  8/08  AWS

46 minutes ago, PB COLTS NECK NJ said:

Last nights storms lasted a full 90 minutes and in terms of duration of lighting , it ranks as one of the best for me here in Monmouth County.

There were tons of road crews out this morning putting the place back together. It wasn`t the most extreme/vicious in terms of close strikes but from a longevity aspect , it was more than anyone could ask for. 

Amazing, zero of anything here in southern Monmouth

There were some good cells popping around me today but they all missed where I was and missed home too. I can see some huge billowing towers just off to my southeast that are nicely backlit by the setting sun to my west. Good stuff.

edit: I can actually see them growing and expanding upward and outwards. Way cool...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

There were some good cells popping around me today but they all missed where I was and missed home too. I can see some huge billowing towers just off to my southeast that are nicely backlit by the setting sun to my west. Good stuff.

edit: I can actually see them growing and expanding upward and outwards. Way cool...

Same thing from out this way. Looking east, there's a massive anvil cloud, with blue sky to the southeast. I wish I had a good camera for times like this.