Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

33 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Record heat to go with the high humidity around the area today.

The heat and humidity continues across the tri-state region. LaGuardia, NY and Bridgeport, CT set new record highs for today reaching 95 and 91 respectively this afternoon, with Islip, NY tying a record with a high of 90 thus far this afternoon.

It has certainly been a hot, humid and wetter spring/summer. Today marks the 26th day since May 1st that I have reached 90 or above and it looks like I will add a couple of more days to that this week with temps expected to be in the low 90's tomorrow and Wednesday.

49 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

It has certainly been a hot, humid and wetter spring/summer. Today marks the 26th day since May 1st that I have reached 90 or above and it looks like I will add a couple of more days to that this week with temps expected to be in the low 90's tomorrow and Wednesday.

Today was the 22nd day with the maximum dew point reaching 75 or higher at JFK. The record high maximum and minimum at LGA continue the near record warmth there since May 1st.

JFK 75 degree or higher maximum dew point days

Amazing 3 year streak continues

#1...24....1983

#2...22....2018 so far

#3...19....2016

#4...17....2017...1995

#5...16....1984

LGA highest average temperatures on record from 5/1 to 8/5

#1...75.3...2010

#2...74.5...1991

#3...73.9...2018

#4...73.5...2012...2006

#5...73.4...1999

Other Northeast regional stations

#6....ISP

#4....ACY

#2....ALB

#1....BTV

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CIK62 said:

Next 8 days are averaging 81degs., or 5degs. AN.

Month to date is  +4.6.    Should be  +4.9 by the 15th.    Summer [JJA to date]  is  +1.02.

EURO WEEKLIES have no 7-day BN period here  for its duration.

The August 2002 analog is starting to look good....

I was just thinking about the tripol of cold warm cold in the Atlantic. That should cause increased baroclynicity. It’s probably partly responsible for the increase in strong nor’easters we have been experiencing. And this should continue into the near future. Great time to be alive for snow lovers!!!

9 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

I'd trade a MECS this winter for the tropic of cancer to move 1,000 miles south back to where it belongs for the rest of this infernal summer.

I just hope we don’t have to make the same trade offer during what’s supposed to be the winter.

I'd like to see a cold and snowy second half of December with at least a 6" snowfall before Christmas and on the ground Christmas morning...there have not been many Decembers like that lately or over the last 100 years......these Decembers fit this criteria...

1960...big snow to soon...I'll take though...

2000...big snow to late...ditto...

2010...big snow just late...ditto...